PDA

View Full Version : Double-fist strike to temples effective?

mantisben
09-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Hi Folks,

I just wanted some opinions on whether the double-fist strike to the temples being an effective technique or not. I believe what happens medically, the arteries to the brain meet at this point, and blocking the flow of blood to the brain via this strike could result in a knockout, or at least momentary weakening of the opponent.

That is medically (I think). But is it an effective technique in a real fight? For the record, I know someone who used this technique in a brawl against an opponent much larger than them, and it was pretty much, what I call, a show-stopper. It worked for one person I know, in one fight.

Still I have my reservations about this technique...

Any opinions or experiences on this technique?

SanSoo Student
09-07-2003, 11:24 AM
A one-knuckle strike (like a pheonix eye fist) to the temple is quite effective as a counter. To use it in a fight directly is not wise because it is a circular strike which is easier to predict head-on. After blocking or dodging a blow, you might want to strike at the legs to divert attention from the upper portion of the body, then you can strike at the temple.

Its a good strike in my opinion, but hard to nail because you need lots of speed to pull it off.

namron
09-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Hollow (cupped hand) palm strikes to both ears is an alternative option, gross motor skills and easier to target than the temple.

Needs the applicable range hovever.

namron
Hollow (cupped hand) palm strikes to both ears is an alternative option, gross motor skills and easier to target than the temple.

namron

namron
09-09-2003, 01:10 AM
try a hollow (cupped hand) slap to the ears instead, gross motor skills and better target area.

Needs the right range / situation however.

namron
09-09-2003, 01:18 AM
mmmm.... 4 replies.... my PC's never done that before.....guess it must really like that technique.

mantisben
09-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by namron
try a hollow (cupped hand) slap to the ears instead, gross motor skills and better target area.

The double-palm slap with the cupped hand to the ear was going to be my NEXT question.

Why a cupped hand and not just a regular slap, or a fist? UFC fighters are always getting punched to the ear. If you look at a seasoned UFC fighter's ears, they always look abnormally swollen and puffed up.

Thanks for your response!

namron
09-09-2003, 06:40 PM
It compresses the air from the cupped section of your palm into the ear canal.

Since the ear is a major player in balance this can be quite an effective technique.

mantisben
09-09-2003, 08:55 PM
It compresses the air from the cupped section of your palm into the ear canal.

Since the ear is a major player in balance this can be quite an effective technique. Thank you for answering my questions!

Laughing Cow
09-09-2003, 09:00 PM

I found this one very useful in confrontations in places like pubs or similar.

Can be done very quickly and repetive.

Works well on guys after they already had a few and started to become unsteady. ;)

Shaolin-Do
09-09-2003, 11:02 PM
When I was younger I used to get really really bad ear infections, a couple of which put my equilibrium(sp?) so off that I had a hard time not looking drunkwhen I tried to walk for a couple of days...

RE: Fist strikes to the temple - be careful... 45 degree angle downward with enough force and your opponent wont get up again... ever...

mantisben
09-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do

RE: Fist strikes to the temple - be careful... 45 degree angle downward with enough force and your opponent wont get up again... ever... Thanks for the warning! I hope I NEVER have to hit someone where they NEVER get up again.

Former castleva
09-11-2003, 02:14 PM
"Thanks for the warning! I hope I NEVER have to hit someone where they NEVER get up again."

Yes.As he pointed out,it is extremely dangerous (while results may vary).

"It compresses the air from the cupped section of your palm into the ear canal.

Since the ear is a major player in balance this can be quite an effective technique. "

Even more importantly,it would rupture ear drum(s) and possibly even cause a concussion.

dimmakseminar
10-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Dear Mr. mantisben:

Double knocks at the Bell can be an effective strategy in a fisticuff situation. As with the Dim Mak, one must learn to place the blows with precision and power! Many times this technique is most effective if you have thrown a rising serpent (knee) to the groin, distracting your opponent while you place your fist techniques at his head! However, be aware if your opponent utilises an Shao-lin elbow technique, as this may effectively dissolve your strike!

I hope that I have disseminated informative information in this discussion, and I remain,

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

Ray Pina
10-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Just as affective as any damaging blow. The real question is can you do it?

Once you have controlled your apponant you have options.

Your question is a lot like, does a bullet to the chest have stopping power.

First, how accurate is your shot?

How powerful is your gun?

If you have power and the ability to control the guy, that's what's important.

Temujinn
10-11-2003, 03:15 AM
I reccomend a feign with one hand then a cupped hand wide slap to the ear with follow through pushing the head to remove balance from your adversary, the double strike is stunning, but you still allow your opponent to keep his center, the single hand gives you the option of removing it.

namron
10-14-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Temujinn
I reccomend a feign with one hand then a cupped hand wide slap to the ear with follow through pushing the head to remove balance from your adversary, the double strike is stunning, but you still allow your opponent to keep his center, the single hand gives you the option of removing it.

if he still doesnt let go on the double cupped strike your thumbs are inches away from the eyes, use this to gain leaverage and pry your way out.

Temujinn
10-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Perhaps I mis-spoke, I didnt realize you were actually being held by the hypothetical attacker, in which case my answer above wouldnt work as well(the distance being incorrect for the move).

Higgy
10-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Come on, we are in the reality/street fighting forum. Are any of you really going to do any of this in a real streetfight. No! If you have managed to get both hands to the side of the head to cup strike his ears you may aswell grab his head, tuck your chin into your chest and drill his face into the top of your head! Job done, one messed up face. No damage to yourself. Off you go!!

Tak
10-16-2003, 08:46 AM
That would mess up my hair.

Temujinn
10-16-2003, 10:18 PM
If you dont stun me first, I promise you will have a hard time head butting me. no way that will come easy.
As for the one-handed slap. I have knocked people straight to the ground, where they felt it was best to re-think continueing their previous course of behavior.

Higgy
10-17-2003, 02:16 AM
I am afraid I do not own a stun gun! But I would have stuck a shock palm in somewhere chap!

Tak
10-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Temujinn
If you dont stun me first, I promise you will have a hard time head butting me. no way that will come easy.
As for the one-handed slap. I have knocked people straight to the ground, where they felt it was best to re-think continueing their previous course of behavior.
Bleh, any kind of wide, circular attack to the head will be easy to dodge or duck unless the attackee is stunned or distracted (or inebriated) first.

BaldMonk
10-17-2003, 06:30 PM
These wide attacks can work. And have for me before. The caveat here being that it was in a sparring not a street situation. It was after I threw a jab and clinched. If you get close enough to your opponent you can get away with throwing a hook and in my case I rocked him with the hook and the guy didn't even see it comming. If I attempted the same blow from further out I'm sure it would have been blocked, ducked, etc. As far as the inibreation (sp) part goes. It might be my three years of bouncing talking but isn't that a requirement for getting into fights? (at least for one of the participants)

Temujinn
10-18-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Tak

Bleh, any kind of wide, circular attack to the head will be easy to dodge or duck unless the attackee is stunned or distracted (or inebriated) first.
Perhaps for you...more then likly not though.
I have had plenty of stupid a**holes in bars looking for their teeth, you swing wide on their approach, they are commited to there movement, the person looking for trouble is rarely prepared for it.

Mr Punch
10-20-2003, 10:37 AM
I heard a thruppenny bit dropped from sufficient heights will drop someone, and sometimes they never get up.

It's all in the positioning, timing, set-up and terminal velocity.

Having an opponent as sharp as a pillow and half as active also helps.

Three serious points.

1) If you are in the position to have enough control to effectively land a double anything to specific points, especially on something so usually well-guarded as someone's noggin, you are probably using excessive force. Or you're an *******.

2) If you are ever in the position where you feel you have to use something as potentially devastating as these strikes, Mantisben, you will hope they never get up.

3) Temujinn. You haven't been in a fight have you? Or you're an *******. How many people exactly have you caused to look for their teeth? And how many of those weren't prepared because they weren't actually looking for fights? Thought this was the reality forum. Stand up and take the weight off your brains.

edited for the freedom of expression to call a complete stranger an *******.

Ray Pina
10-20-2003, 11:49 AM
"It's all in the positioning, timing, set-up and terminal velocity.

Having an opponent as sharp as a pillow and half as active also helps."

All this other back and forth is quite amateur. It's like people just learning chess:

"Well, I'll move my pawn to E5..."

"Oh, yea. My bishop will take E5 and threaten your queen..."

"But Kings Indian defense is unbeatable .... says so in the book and on Chessmater's 2000 program."

Train your mechanics, try to increase your ability and spar to work on positioning and tactics! All this one punch kill stuff .... can you do it? Against someone who is not a drunken bum?

Checkmate is checkmate ... but there's a whole lot before that ... and real skill is having it appear inevitable well before hand and forcing a resignation before it comes to a bloody mess.

mantisben
10-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Mat
2) If you are ever in the position where you feel you have to use something as potentially devastating as these strikes, Mantisben, you will hope they never get up.

I just wanted other opinions on how effective a double-strike to the temples would be against an opponent. I NEVER want to hit someone where they never get up. If this is one of those techniques, then I'll probably NEVER use it.

If it is NOT one of those techniques where it can possibly permanently damage my opponent, then I might be tempted to use it if I saw the opportunity.

I'd like to add that I'll NEVER fight someone I know is no match for me. I'd sooner tell them "You could beat me up", "I'm no match for you", "I don't want to get hurt by you", etc.. Anything to avoid a fight. When I fight, it is because, in my own judgement, it was unavoidable...

If I can run, I'll do that. Sometimes, running can make things worse. I've seen guys get into a fight, see that they're losing, try to get way by running, and have 5 other guys chase him down the street, and beat him sensless. They didn't attack him when he was fighting, only when he started to run. Kind of like running past a dog. You can calmly walk by a dog and chances are he won't attack you. But if you RUN past a dog, most dogs have this instinct to chase things running past them.

Sometimes, you can't run. Not because there isn't any room, but you could have women, children, and/or elderly folk with you. Now, you're not just defending yourself, but also the helpless/powerless unfortunate enough to be thrown in this situation with you. G-D forbid!

Still, if I'm thrown into a situation like this, I will hit anyone and everyone with everything I got, or can get my hands on.

T_C_D*fighter*
10-24-2003, 05:55 AM
TEMUJINN - I agree with MAT on this one. You probably have not had a fight in your life, you probably go round recreating what you had just been shown in the Dojo that week! That is not fighting!

Go stand on a bar/pub door for a few nights then you will realise after a while what works... and more importantly what doesn't!!!

MANTESBIN - If you would like to try this double strike to the temple next time you are walking you Grandad and you get atacked, let me know if it works! Whilst using this double strike try not to leave your face completely open for anything the attacker wants to do to you. Rule 1: One hand always replaces the other when multiple striking is used. If you wish to raise both elbows and fists to hit a man in the head then that is up to you!

Good luck in your quest to break your knuckles on someones temple!!

All the best

T_C_D*fighter*

SevenStar
10-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by T_C_D*fighter*
MANTESBIN - If you would like to try this double strike to the temple next time you are walking you Grandad and you get atacked, let me know if it works! Whilst using this double strike try not to leave your face completely open for anything the attacker wants to do to you. Rule 1: One hand always replaces the other when multiple striking is used. If you wish to raise both elbows and fists to hit a man in the head then that is up to you!

agreed.

mantisben
10-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by T_C_D*fighter* MANTESBIN - If you would like to try this double strike to the temple next time you are walking you Grandad and you get atacked, let me know if it works!
Thank you for your opinion.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-27-2003, 02:34 PM
i learned a slightly different variation of the double palm to the temples out of pukulan.

ok imagine your in a choke front position. know how you have been shown to break the choke by striking outwards to the insides of his elbows (yes i know there are other/better ways but im talking about this way right now). ok now imagine clapping before hitting his inner elbows to break the choke. kind of an arc motion. now imagine that same movement but with the heel of each hand striking either side of the head.

i hope that makes sense.

this is usually followed by going straight into the clinch. still leaves your face open, but not for as long.

AndyM
10-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Going back to the cupped or double cupped ear drum strike.

I just wanted to make people aware of how dangerous this is.

My wife, then girlfriend slapped me in the ear for teasing her and ruptured my eardrum a few years ago.

My hearing in that ear is impaired as a result.

Particularly serious as I'm a musician and depend on my ears for my work.

Don't play with this.

Temujinn
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
ok, so we know that cupping the hand is essential since you actually were hurt by it.
Since if someone attacks me, I am most certainly going to try to hurt him.

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-29-2003, 12:44 PM
am i missing some underlying sarcasim?