PDA

View Full Version : Jow Ga, Hung ga , Choy ga Forms

SiHingJow
09-08-2003, 07:47 AM
does anyone know of any jow ga forms/ video clips on the internet if so email me SiHingJow@martialmail.com or post here..

Tiger5
09-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi SiHingJow,

please look under

www.shaolinchowka.com

This school have Video about Jow Ga at his homepage.

Greetings

Rolling_Hand
09-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Is your Chow Ka as the same as Chow Tai (one of the ten cantonese tigers)?

-----------------

Shaolin Chow Ka (Jow Ga, Zhou Jia, etc.) kung-fu lineage originated from the Shaolin Temples of China. As with other Shaolin styles, such as Hung Ga and Choy Ga, Chow Ka focuses on particular aspects of Shaolin that distinguish it from other Shaolin branches. Today, the techniques, forms, weapons, chi-kung and training methods of Chow Ka still follow their Shaolin origin.

The name 'Chow Ka' is taken from the family name of Chow, belonging to the five brothers who introduced their unique combination of techniques and philosophies.

ZhouJiaQuan
09-28-2003, 09:37 PM
hmm, chow tai, ten cantonese tigers...

i dunno, ill have to look into that... around what year(s) was he kicking?

reading the history...
j(ch)ow ga is hung and choy.

Peace

Rolling_Hand
09-28-2003, 09:45 PM
Around the same time with Wong Fei Hung, Chow Tai was supposed to be the first Grandmaster of Chow Ga. His iron palm kung fu was one of the best among these ten contonese tigers.

ZhouJiaQuan
09-29-2003, 10:16 AM
hmm i kinda of doubt that just from the statement

"he was supposed the frist grandmaser of chow ga"

this is inconsistent with what i know, but i can easily be wrong.

chow lung formed the chow family fist around 1900. then he and 4 of his brothers, spread jow ga, becoming known as the 5 tigers of jow ga. a army general (li fuk lam if i remember right, but i was never too concerned with names) held a fighting compititon for martial trainier in which jow lung particpated and won. he died fairly soon after from phenomna. leaving the spread of jow ga to his four brothers chow biu, chow hoy, chow tin, and chow hip.

i will have to investigate the ten tigers further to find about chow tai. it is possible chow tai practiced chow ga mantis and not chow family fist. but im not sure.

interesting question though

Take Care

Rolling_Hand
09-29-2003, 02:00 PM
<<i will have to investigate the ten tigers further to find about chow tai. it is possible chow tai practiced chow ga mantis and not chow family fist. but im not sure.>>

No, Chow Tai was not from Mantis KF family. In this case, Chow Tai and Chow Lung are two different Chow Ga. They are not the same "Chow" in Chinese Charecter.

ZhouJiaQuan
09-29-2003, 02:37 PM
hmm, i guess there is yet another style with the same sound pattern for a name running around, good to know. I only brought up the mantis style becuase i have seen confusion over these two styles before.

What system is chow tai's then? i assume if he is the 1st "grandmaster" then he is the founder of the system?

Take Care

Rolling_Hand
09-29-2003, 02:57 PM
<<What system is chow tai's then? i assume if he is the 1st "grandmaster" then he is the founder of the system?>>

Chow Tai's Chow Ga Staff and Chow Ga Iron Plam are two major things in Chow Tai KF family. Now, just a few people still practice Chow Tai KF in southern China. Chow Tai KF and Chu Ga Tong Long are running out their times in recent kung fu history.

Fu-Pau
09-29-2003, 07:27 PM
The five Chow brothers who originated Chow Gar (Jow Ga, Chow Ka, Zhou Jia etc) were:
Chow Lung and his brothers Chow Biu, Chow Hip, Chow Tin and Chow Hoy. Chow lung was a contemporary of Wong Fei Hung (to put it in historical perspective)

Chow Tai must be from another family of kung fu, unless you are thinking of Chow Tin?

Rolling_Hand
09-29-2003, 08:42 PM
<<Chow Tai must be from another family of kung fu, unless you are thinking of Chow Tin>>

Chow Tin???

Chow Tai was one of the ten contonese tigers. And Chow Lung was not even born yet at that time.

Fu-Pau
09-29-2003, 09:32 PM
Your original question was about Chow Gar/Jow Ga/Chow Ka… so to answer your question: "No Chow Tai has nothing to do with Chow Gar"

As far as the '10 Tigers of Canton' are concerned, they are not fixed in one particular generation. Wong Fei Hung became one of the 10 Tigers when one of the current 10 Tigers (at the time) passed away. Wong Fei Hung and Chow Lung were contemporaries, and also knew each other.

Rolling_Hand
09-29-2003, 09:52 PM
"No Chow Tai has nothing to do with Chow Gar"

They are two different Chow families (Chow Tai's Chow and Chow Lung's Chow are two different Chinese charecters)

Fu-Pau
09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Rolling_Hand

Apart from Chow Gar (as originated by Chow Lung), the only other Chow Gar that I have heard of is Chow Gar Southern Preying Mantis. Is that the style that you are referring to? If not, please tell us a bit about the style of the Chow Tai that you refer to. It is always interesting to learn of other family styles.

Rolling_Hand
09-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Fu-Pau,

Chow Tai was more well known than Chow Lung in mainland China. Chow Tai was famous for his Chow Ga Pak Kwa Kwan (staff) and Tit SAA Zheung(Iron Palm). Chow Tai's Chow Ga, Chow Lung's Chow Ga and Chow Ga Tong Long are three different kf families.

brothernumber9
09-30-2003, 10:14 AM
I heard of a Jow Ga Ba Gua Gwan, supposedly one of the 4 famous staff forms of china. Perhaps this is the same one?

CLFNole
09-30-2003, 10:19 AM
There were two different sets of Kwantung Sup Fu - 10 Tigers of Canton.

Wong Fei Hung was part of the 2nd group and it wasn't like an organization that got together just sort of respect for the top masters at the time in that area.

Peace.

ZhouJiaQuan
09-30-2003, 11:10 AM
(i will use "jow" when referring to the kung fu of jow lung "chow" when reffering to chow tai and "chou" for mantis)

The jow ga staff is very famous(but i doubt it was the same one as chow tai, if he didnt practice jow ga). There is a shrine dedicated to jow lung somwhere in canton. im not sure where but i have seen pictures of it(it was quite impressive). Jow lung(jow ga) was(is) also famous for many other weapons and techniques. His double broadsword was very famous, to my understanding.

Who is chow tai? I'm curious as im sure i while run into others who speak of him somewhere along the line. are there anywebpages with info?

i'm with fu-pau, i only ever heard of chou ga as another system with the same sound.

CLFnole, 2 sets eh? any place to find info on them?

Much Thanks,
Walter

Fu-Pau
09-30-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Rolling_Hand
Fu-Pau,

Chow Tai was more well known than Chow Lung in mainland China. Chow Tai was famous for his Chow Ga Pak Kwa Kwan (staff) and Tit SAA Zheung(Iron Palm). Chow Tai's Chow Ga, Chow Lung's Chow Ga and Chow Ga Tong Long are three different kf families.

Rolling_Hand

I understood that was what you meant, but you still haven't really said all that much about Chow Tai or his kung fu?

Chow Gar's (Chow Lung's Chow Gar) Baat Gwa Gwan (8 Triagram Pole) is very famous in Southern China and Chow Gar's double broadswords is equally famous (where most Chow Gar Schools get the crossed swords on their emblem from). The Chow Gar double broadsword was made famous by Chow Biu.

ZhouJiaQuan
09-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Fu-pau,

really the doublt braodsword was made famous by jow biu? i didnt know that(i always assumed it was jow lung, i dont know why though). do you know why then do many branches outside of jow biu lineage use the double broadsword as emblem?

Much thanks

8gates
09-30-2003, 10:31 PM
I remember, a long time ago... a book on jow ga...
from what I can remember, the author called it "the one point kill system" it suppose to be one hit, stopping power...
I can remember it looked really deadly, and that no B.S. either.

buddhapalm
09-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Chow Ga Bak Kwa Gwun (Eight Trigram Pole) ?

I would love to know more about this form. Is it an eyebrow height pole or a longer pole ?

Does anyone know it ?

Are there any books/videos on it ?

Any relation to the Yang Family spear influenced Bak Kwa Gwun ?

I know a Bak Moon Gwun of unknown origin. Its probably northern, but I am not really sure.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

ZhouJiaQuan
10-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Buddhapalm,
This is a famous set, but also not readily available to the public.

as far as i know, its longer then eybrow hieght

no books and videos on it that i know of, i seriously doubt one exists.

peace

CLFNole
10-01-2003, 10:50 AM
A lot of southern styles have "baat gwa kwun" or 8-diagram pole with hung gar probably being the most well known. CLF, jow gar and I think hung fut may also have versions.

Typical this pole style is done with a shei may kwun - rat-tail staff which is a long single-end staff.

Peace.

brothernumber9
10-01-2003, 11:23 AM
hung fut does have a baat gwa gwan but it is not famous. fung mo gwan is hung fut's famous staff form. I too have heard of several southern styles with a baat gwa gwan form. It seems there are plenty of names that are the same or similar for different forms in different systems: fut jeong, moi fa jerng, fu-pow kuen, ng ying kuen, sup ying kuen, and others.

CLFNole
10-01-2003, 12:55 PM
If I am not mistaken I believe the baat gwa kwun was a well known staff style years ago. Many masters of various styles learned this style of staff fighting and incorporated a form into their respective sets with modifications that suited the style of course.

Peace.

Fu-Pau
10-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by buddhapalm
Chow Ga Bak Kwa Gwun (Eight Trigram Pole) ?

I would love to know more about this form. Is it an eyebrow height pole or a longer pole ?

Does anyone know it ?

I haven't done it but I've seen it performed…
it is not an eyebrow length staff… it is the proverbial 12 foot pole
ie single ended (tapered)
Meant to be hard wood though (I'm told) not flexible.

Fu-Pau
10-01-2003, 08:10 PM
ZhouJiaQuan

Sorry, that came across wrong, what I meant was that Chow Biu was famous for his double swords, not that he made it famous.
The double broadswords and/or the plumb blossom seem to be synonymous with Chow Gar schools all around the world. As to why schools outside Chow Biu Si Kung's lineage use the double swords I can't say I know? Probably the double swords are simply associated with first school that Chow Lung and his brothers established.

Fu-Pau
10-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by CLFNole
If I am not mistaken I believe the baat gwa kwun was a well known staff style years ago. Many masters of various styles learned this style of staff fighting and incorporated a form into their respective sets with modifications that suited the style of course.

Peace.

I'm sure you are right. A version may have existed in Hung Gar and or Choy Gar before Chow Gar was established. Chow Lung (and his brothers) created their own hand forms and created weapon forms from the many existing Chinese weapons of the time.

ZhouJiaQuan
10-02-2003, 11:15 AM
hmm ill have to ask my sifu one day as to the origin of the staff form.

thanks fu-pau for that clarification. train hard

peace

Fu-Pau
10-02-2003, 07:31 PM
no worries :) happy training and all the best to your Sifu and your school and you