PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Water Dragon (or anyone else interested), w/regards to the Ankle Pick

Merryprankster
04-15-2001, 02:23 PM
I know this question was asked on another thread, but I didn't know if you were reading that one, and I didn't jump on here this weekend, and wanted to make sure I got your attn...

I have a couple of ideas about the ankle pick that you keep getting hit with, but I need some info:

Are they hitting the pick with one hand on your neck or shoulder, or are they hitting it as a reaction to the modified horse stance takedown defense you described here:

"If were squared off, assuming you're a wrestler: You will be facing me head on, I will have one leg (for me it's the right) forward. You will probably not go for the double because of my position. It wouldn't make sense. The single is right there for you. I realize this so I will protect it. When I see you drop, I will drop also and stick my right hand out and try to press on your left shoulder. I need to be able to keep your center above mine so that you can't get the position for the shoot. I'm not trying to stop the single leg, I'm trying to stop you from being able to start it. Once you start to shoot, I'll probably go down. The only two things I personally know to do once I'm caught is to go for a guillotine and drop into guard (head down) or a neck surround (head up) Neck surround is a combo head lock hip toss and only works if I rush you at the same time."

Merryprankster
04-15-2001, 03:15 PM
Water Dragon. The ankle pick is working so well on you because in order to actively push on the left shoulder of your opponent, with your right hand, you have to freeze your right foot to the ground, or you won't effectively push, even if it is just for a split second.

This, along with your level change, WILL keep the single at bay because they can't shoot in to get it. However, the fact that your foot has to be frozen to the mat leads smoothly into the ankle pick. I don't know what's going on exactly, but I'm willing to be it sounds something like this:

-Wrestler starts to change levels for single.
-You adopt, or already have, your modified horse stance, as you described, right leg forward.
-You drop levels too, pushing on the left shoulder of the wrestler with your right arm.
-Wrestler hooks neck/head/shoulder/upper arm on your right side with HIS left, and uses this hook to keep your weight over your right foot.
-Wrestler hooks behind your right ankle with his right arm, drives you backwards and down.

There are a couple of different variations on this theme... he might pivot to make you turn around your right foot to set up the pick to the other leg, for instance, but the one I described above is the most straightforward version...

Water Dragon
04-15-2001, 03:55 PM
After I drop, I come back up and try to press chest to chest. He backs up into a (sprawl ? I caught him with a sweep a few times)

Now we're toe to toe. I'm side on and he has both feet back. He'll shake my shoulders and slam me down to my front right and PICK, there I go.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Merryprankster
04-15-2001, 04:16 PM
After I drop, I come back up and try to press chest to chest. He backs up into a (sprawl ? I caught him with a sweep a few times)

Nope. He's not sprawling. Since you are trying to come chest to chest, he thinks you're working towards a throw (Do you call them sweeps?) He's getting his hips out of the way to avoid that. If his hips are back, you are going to have a hard time getting deep enough to throw him (this is where uchi-mata from judo comes in handy.)

Now we're toe to toe. I'm side on and he has both feet back. He'll shake my shoulders and slam me down to my front right and PICK, there I go.

I understand everything here, except side on. What exactly is that position?

Water Dragon
04-15-2001, 04:36 PM
A sweep works just like am ankle pick except I'll try to kick out the ankle with my foot.

For side on think right foot forward boxer's stance. It's a bit different but similar enough to give you the idea.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Merryprankster
04-15-2001, 05:11 PM
Ok, so you are looking for a footsweep, and he gets his body back to avoid it. Side-on to me means you've basically assumed a staggered stance typical of wrestling, boxing, etc.

By snapping your shoulders down and to the right, he's putting all the weight on that foot, freezing it to the ground, making it hard for you to get your foot out of the way in time to avoid the pick.

The simplest counter-
Get inside control with one or both arms. Assume your opponent reaches out and places one hand on your upper bicep or shoulder or neck. You need to bring your same side arm (their left, your right, vice versa) up and on the inside of their arm, and grab their upper bicep/shoulder or neck. The simple act of having your arm on the inside allows you to block off their forward momentum. If it is on the OUTSIDE, of their arm, they will simply lift your arm out of the way.

Some options if it's too late for that-

When he snaps you down, keep your stance, but flow with it from the WAIST. Instead of letting the snap down flow through the body to the ground, bend from the waist and duck your head under his hand or arm to the outside of his body. It'll unfreeze your feet to some extent and allow some movement.

Post your arm on his hip, or whatever part of his trunk you can get your hands on. This will help to prevent him from getting forward and down far enough to get your ankle.

A Counter Attack-

With both his feet back and him trying to snap you down, his weight is going to be forward of his center. You can use your right arm to lift his left up, and duck under it HARD for a fireman's carry.

Water Dragon
04-15-2001, 05:49 PM
:D

Merryprankster
04-15-2001, 05:52 PM
Hey, glad I could help!