PDA

View Full Version : Strengths?

Shaolin-Do
09-09-2003, 11:04 PM
What strengths do you feel that your art will give you over another art? Any weaknesses that you have noticed?
Please dont turn this into a flame my style is golden thread... Im looking for some insightful answers.

Raatra
09-09-2003, 11:17 PM
The answer is 5.

Shaolin-Do
09-09-2003, 11:18 PM
c:
:##

^its a joke.
:eek:

Shaolin-Do
09-09-2003, 11:24 PM
TTT

joedoe
09-09-2003, 11:31 PM
My art has taught me the death touch and the super chi blast (tm), and they both give me a huge afvantage over any opponent.

CrippledAvenger
09-10-2003, 12:08 AM
I really like the idea of this thread, actually.

For me, I'm taking Shuai Chiao so that I can learn to chuck people on the ground from a multitude of positions. It's not as complete of a grappling game as most are advocating these days, but it's a good start, and mixes well with what I already know. This is a major strength in the fact that if I do clinch with someone who knows what they're doing, I won't be totally lost (unless the fight goes to the ground).

Secondly, the conditioning I receive from Shuai Chiao is absurdly amazing. Getting thrown HARD onto the ground for 60 or so times a practice gets you accustomed to being hit hard and thrown like nothing else. IMO, it blows away the conditioning I've seen a lot of martial artists doing. Throwing also takes a lot more leg and core strength than I'm used to, so I'm developing those areas as well.

Furthermore, mixing strikes and throws helps me focus on areas like balance, structure and power generation. Since I'm a bit smaller than some of the Shuai Chiao guys I've seen, I'm finding out I have play to my strengths and use the aforementioned areas to set up my throws. This isn't to say a bigger guy won't beat me (because 99 times out of 100, he will), but when I do get a throw, it's for the right reasons and not because I cheated on it. That can only help me when I fight people in my weight class and prepares me for some takedown defences.

Finally, Shuai Chiao gives me confidence in a non-cooperative situation, because when we free wrestle, it's against a resisting opponent who wants to chuck my arse around like a ragdoll. If I have to use Shuai Chiao in and out of the ring, I'll be far more prepared than someone who doesn't practice against resisting opponents.

Brad
09-10-2003, 12:21 AM
The answer is 5.
5? Are you kidding me? The answear is quite clearly 3. If you had good lineage, you would realise how horribly wrong you are :rolleyes:

quiet man
09-10-2003, 04:03 AM
In all honesty, I don't know. I don't know anything about other arts. I also don't care; I do WC because it feels good (what a crummy answer! :D ), not because it gives me advantage over other arts. Don't get me wrong, I know WC is efficient, but like it for some other reasons. Hope this helps.

Oh, and you're all wrong: the answer is 42. Always has been. :D ;)

Kristoffer
09-10-2003, 04:21 AM
The secret of life is 42

count
09-10-2003, 04:32 AM

scotty1
09-10-2003, 04:42 AM
I like my tai chi because it feels like there's always something I can do from any range, from punching range inwards, which means I don't have to waste time getting into/out of range, I can just react.

Or rather I will be able to when I'm any good.

I feel this is an advantage over other arts that don't have as many options in as many different ranges.

Ford Prefect
09-10-2003, 05:54 AM
The answer is 42. You people know nothing.

count
09-10-2003, 06:36 AM
As you can see by my screen name, I am the authority on organizing numbers. Since my method of expertise is baguazhang, the correct answer is clearly 8.
:p

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 06:43 AM
One! One is fun!
Two! Two for you!
Three.... Three for me!
I think the count would have a round of bourbon and vicadin before each show... :eek:

Shaolin-Do- Tons and tons of techniques... Regardless of wheather I will use them all, I do single techniques out and work them to be able to apply them. Fighting from lots of different ranges and stances. Good conditioning and bagwork in class.

Shuai Chiao- Fighting in the clinch, which we dont do in SD. Tons of throws... I love throws. Also, as crippledavenger said, all the throws are amazing conditioning... First few classes I was pretty sore, but its getting better. Dont hurt as much as often anymore.
I go in 1 or 2 times a month to roll with the BJJ guys as well, but dont actively study the art per-se.

FatherDog
09-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
The answer is 42. You people know nothing.

Ford has caught the correct and is reducing it to rubble to make way for an interstellar bypass.

Brad
09-10-2003, 08:14 AM
As you can see by my screen name, I am the authority on organizing numbers. Since my method of expertise is baguazhang, the correct answer is clearly 8.
But Santi is the stance to end all stances! Santi. 3. I rest my case :D

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 10:56 AM
458745.2396743 was the apropriate number I was looking for.
:p

Kristoffer
09-10-2003, 11:19 AM
you bum

Golden Arms
09-10-2003, 12:10 PM
3.14... well that and 8. You have to go with a guy that is NAMED count on number issues.

rubthebuddha
09-10-2003, 01:19 PM
his name is just a display of admiration for a sesame street character, and nothing else.

ten, ten lifeless muppet bodies! :( (http://www.thelaughweb.com/jokes/378.html)

fa_jing
09-10-2003, 02:02 PM
LOL

Kristoffer
09-10-2003, 02:32 PM
heh :)

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 03:15 PM
If only I had the puppets to make a sesame street cartoon of my own... it would be THE BEST ever.... :(

SevenStar
09-10-2003, 08:08 PM
here's a pic of them now... Don't mess with the Sesame G's

SevenStar
09-10-2003, 08:12 PM
grappling + muay thai = conditioning and versatility.

the sc and judo throws I work, in addition to grappling and working the bag provide great conditioning and an abundance of work against a resisting opponent.

striking, throwing and grappling has me fairly well rounded.