PDA

View Full Version : Body Conditioning

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 02:44 PM
What types of excersises do you guys do for body conditioning? What exactly does your iron palm regimen consist of?(if you practice iron palm)

Ryu
09-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Not an iron palm man, but I can list what my conditioning routines are like. I am literally in the best shape of my life (5'8, 167 pounds and about 9% bodyfat and falling...)

My routines consist of daily bodyweight conditioning and cardio plus a healthy diet. I rest one day a week, where I do no workout, and eat what I want.

I spend about an hour or two a day doing hindu pushups, hindu squats, neck bridging, handstand pushups, pull ups, chin ups, weighted sit ups, bicep curls, bench press.

I average about 70-130 Hindu pushups a day (depending on intensity on that day).

I average about 200-400 Hindu squats a day (depending on intensity)

I usually bridge for about 1-3 minutes.

Pull ups and chins are usually in the 45 rep catagories (3 sets of 15)

I average about 30-40 handstand pushups (which get hard)

I work both upper and lower abs with weighted crunches as well as vaccums, etc.
all together I average about 240 weighted crunches. (I use a pyramid program with weighted crunches)

My max bench is about 300 pounds.

I also use a pyramid with bicep curls, etc.

I eat 6 meals a day and they consist of usually protein shakes, tuna, chicken breasts/salads, cottage cheese with fruit, vegetables, etc.

And 3 days a week I do a muay thai shadowboxing routine for about 30-40 minutes first thing in the morning.

Ryu

norther practitioner
09-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Ryu, thats a pretty impressive training regime...

As far as conditioning go, I do some pushups, crunches etc.. but for like forarm and hand/iron palm etc.. I get a lot of that from blocking drills and from hitting a phone book on top of a bunch of cynder blocks.

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Have you ever tried any iron body type conditioning?

bigdoing
09-10-2003, 03:50 PM
3 to 4 times a week I will hit shot filled canvas bags for hand conditioning.

100 times each: palm,backhand,knife edge,leopord fist
x 3 sets

then with an iron body tool hit: all leg areas,upper and lower, back, chest, forarms inside and out, stomach.
x 36 times x 3sets

3star blocking whenever in class
heavy bag w/o gloves
hit own knuckles
hit forarms together
practice one finger though card board boxes
practice phoenix eye througg card board boxes

thats the conditioning for me

bigdoing
09-10-2003, 03:52 PM
some times knuckle push ups
finger push ups
leopord fist push ups
wrist push ups

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 03:57 PM
wtf?
My hand smells like p*ssy.
:confused: :confused:
Strange...

TTT
Yeah, thats a very impressive training schedule... Cant say I do quite that many push ups... :)
I do pyramid power sets to help with stamina...(bicep curls)
30 lbs - 15 reps, 10 push ups
10 reps, 10 push ups
8 reps, 10 push ups
Same with 20 lbs,
10 lbs do 50 excrutiatingly slow curls, 10-25 more pushups, depending on how I feel.
(yes thats only a small part of my training... :) )

Starchaser107
09-10-2003, 04:02 PM
I use aloa vera for body conditioning, and if i'm at the beach coppertone .

regards.

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 04:11 PM
What about herbs?! your in jamaica mon!
Good organic herbs afoot there...
:)

joedoe
09-10-2003, 04:34 PM
I eat as much greasy fast food as possible to maintain the layer of fat all around my body for absorbing blows. :D

IronFist
09-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Ryu

^ Oh, you did NOT just say that.

Wait, you never visit the training forum do you. Ok, I'll give you the brief lecture then:

1. The rectus abdominus is one muscle. The six-pack design results from tendons stretched over the surface. It is not 6 muscles.

2. When a muscle contracts, either the whole thing contracts, or none of it contracts. In other words, you cannot work one part of a muscle more than another part. Therefore, you cannot work "upper" abs or "lower abs," because the muscle is either contracting uniformly or not at all.

3. Anyone who says otherwise is full of **** and hasn't done their research. Yes, you will read in many books and magazines how to work your "upper" and "lower" abs, but absolutely any source that publishes something like that is wrong. Remember this when judging what someone says or when evaluating a book, or even when listening to your instructor (a lot of martial arts instructors are the worst when it comes to fitness and anatomy).

Ok, now that you realize the error of your ways, you can go back to training :)

IronFist

Ryu
09-10-2003, 04:48 PM
LOL
Settle down settle down. :) I'm aware that spot reduction is a myth. I simply do what is giving me results. (Most of my "6 pack" look right now though is mostly from cardio and the amount of body fat I'm carrying.)

I also work my hip flexors. ;)

Ryu

Volcano Admim
09-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ryu
Not an iron palm man, but I can list what my conditioning routines are like. I am literally in the best shape of my life (5'8, 167 pounds and about 9% bodyfat and falling...)

My routines consist of daily bodyweight conditioning and cardio plus a healthy diet. I rest one day a week, where I do no workout, and eat what I want.

I spend about an hour or two a day doing hindu pushups, hindu squats, neck bridging, handstand pushups, pull ups, chin ups, weighted sit ups, bicep curls, bench press.

I average about 70-130 Hindu pushups a day (depending on intensity on that day).

I average about 200-400 Hindu squats a day (depending on intensity)

I usually bridge for about 1-3 minutes.

Pull ups and chins are usually in the 45 rep catagories (3 sets of 15)

I average about 30-40 handstand pushups (which get hard)

all together I average about 240 weighted crunches. (I use a pyramid program with weighted crunches)

My max bench is about 300 pounds.

I also use a pyramid with bicep curls, etc.

I eat 6 meals a day and they consist of usually protein shakes, tuna, chicken breasts/salads, cottage cheese with fruit, vegetables, etc.

And 3 days a week I do a muay thai shadowboxing routine for about 30-40 minutes first thing in the morning.

Ryu

Hey son, whats up

Listen, how you do all that?

I mean, sometimes i stay at uni 14 hours straight. How you able to find your time?

Dont mind if i dont remember how to write the days of the week in english

Monday: wake up at 6:20am - do stuff, move to uni - back home near 11pm
The day after Monday: 6:20am - home at 7pm
The dya after the day after Monday: 6:20am - 7pm
The day after the day after day after Monday: same as Monday
Friday: Nothing, YAY!
Saturday and Sunday: One of this days there is weekedn training for like 3 hours.
Of course on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays there can also be parties OR i can travel to my brother.

During the week im supposed to have 2 trainings of 2 hours but i havent been able to show up

Ryu
09-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey Xeb,
Well I understand the busy schedule. To be perfectly frank, it comes down to a priority issue. Since I'm teaching, I want and need to be in the best shape I can be in, and constantly keep my skills sharp and my body strong. So I make time for myself everyday to schedule my meals, do my workouts, etc.

I also am attending University, and will be graduating soon. I usually pack meals for myself that I can eat during the day, and since I have classes spread out through the day, I can come home and work out for a good hour or two.
At night I'll go over more technical things and usually teach and spar, etc. on weekends.

The workout I described above can be done in just under an hour. So if you can find at least an hour or so a day where you can just be by yourself this routine can be done.

If you're stuck at school for an hour or two alone, try renting out a gym room, etc.

But again it really comes down to priority. I also hang out with friends, etc. But my training comes first and foremost. It's just what I have dedicated myself to.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Ryu

Ryu
09-10-2003, 05:10 PM
I should add that this routine can be split up too.

Say some days you work on just Hindu pushups, Hindu squats, and bridging..........other days you can work pull ups, handstand pushups, situps, etc.

You can vary the excercises on any given day, and you don't have to perform every single one in one training session. Though when you do it's a hell of a workout.

Ryu

IronFist
09-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Ryu - who said anything about spot reduction :D

Here's an interesting site on conditioning.

Karate Breaking (http://www.karatebreaking.com)

They talk about makiwara and iron palm and some other stuff.

IronFist

IronFist
09-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Look at the last breaking demo on that page:

This (http://www.karatebreaking.com/gallery3.html) page. I was always told that's just a trick and not a breaking skill. I saw some drunk dude do it at a party.

Hmmm.

What do you think?

IronFist

joedoe
09-10-2003, 05:44 PM
This is where a quote from Enter the Dragon would be perfect :D

I don't really go for breaking - good for demos though.

Lynux6gold
09-10-2003, 06:10 PM
They're almost always using separators for those breaks. We consider that cheating.

As for my [strength] training, I do Snake Turns Over, a palms exercise, some tam tui sets, and we're working on Goun Gee Kuen right now.

Serpent
09-10-2003, 06:34 PM
I do everything that Ryu does. Twice.

Then twice more before bed.

Actually, my exercise regime outside of class and other kung fu/qigong practice is very similar to Ryu's, but I tend to break it up more and I don't get the chance for as many chins/pullups cos I don't have a bar at home. Grrrrr!

We use a balance dummy (big wooden dude) for training our footwork and blocks and strikes and it naturally works to condition the arms and hands. I also condition with bag work, three star blocking, etc. We kick each other for body conditioning! ;)

Holding a shield for some of our guys to kick is conditioning in itself too cos we got some powerful guys in class.

SevenStar
09-10-2003, 08:44 PM
my conditioning comes from plenty of gym time. I'm usually in the gym 5 days a week, twice a day when possible. I'm usually in class about 13 hours per week.

Water Dragon
09-10-2003, 09:03 PM
We did a little body conditioning today. I'm sure Crippled Avenger and Fajing are itching to discuss how we do it :D

Serpent
09-10-2003, 09:09 PM
I think y'all need to establish the difference between the two types of conditioning being discussed:

1. As per the original question, conditioning such as Iron Palm, Golden Bell, Dragon Bone QiGong, etc. - this is basically toughening up the skin, muscle, tendon and bone through repetitive impact to make the bodypart hard and strong and far less pervious to strikes, etc.

2. Fitness and strength conditioning, as many people here seem to think the question means, such as aerobic training, weight training, other forms of resistance training, etc.

Perhaps we should differentiate by talking about either Iron Conditioning or Fitness Conditioning? There is some crossover but they are absolutely not the same thing.

SevenStar
09-10-2003, 10:33 PM
nah, they're not the same thing at all. Getting thrown repeatedly does wonders for toughness though, so the second part of my answer still applies.

SevenStar
09-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
wtf?
My hand smells like p*ssy.
:confused: :confused:
Strange...

Quit playing with yourself...

Serpent
09-10-2003, 10:37 PM
F#cking LOL!

:D

IronFist
09-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Lynux6Gold, cool, another person who does Snake Turns Over. I don't do it, but I know the form. I used to do Stone Warrior, though.

Serpent said:
I do everything that Ryu does. Twice.

Then twice more before bed.

Oh yeah, well I do everything you do in between each set of my normal workout, even if the rest periods are only one minute.

So there :p

IronFist

SevenStar
09-10-2003, 10:41 PM

Serpent
09-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Yeah? Well I only do all that on my rest days, which are only one day a year.

The rest of the year I do workouts infinitely more hardcore than that.

Serpent
09-10-2003, 10:43 PM
And I've got two instructors certificates from Paul Vunak and they're both valid.

CrippledAvenger
09-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
We did a little body conditioning today. I'm sure Crippled Avenger and Fajing are itching to discuss how we do it :D

I'll bite, since I was the throwing dummy today. :D

It's simple really. You get thrown on the ground hard enough to bruise and knock the wind out of you, you get up and you do three more sets of reps of the same throw. Then we do other throws.

In between, I was working on stance work and falling, but really, the best conditioning is done with a partner. There's no feeling like being thrown onto the ground at 50-75% force. I can't imagine any other way to get used to the feeling.

So, to boil this down, both WD and 7* have nabbed the columbo. How, you may ask? Well, that's not a story for polite company. ;)

IronFist
09-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah, well my rest periods in between sets are still harder than your entire year of working out combined, *****!

:p

IronFist

Cheese Dog
09-10-2003, 10:59 PM
Who said we were polite? Out with it, man!:D:

Serpent
09-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Yeah, well my rest periods in between sets are still harder than your entire year of working out combined, *****!

:p

IronFist

I do arm curls with two people in each hand and all four of those people work out harder than you.

Shaolin-Do
09-10-2003, 11:07 PM
I bench both an angry gorilla and serpent as he performs the aforementioned curls.

Leimeng
09-10-2003, 11:07 PM
~ Snake turns over is a cool exercise. At one time I built up to almost 300 reps on an arm. Took more than an HOUR to do. I had great definition, lots of strength, and my forarms were like rocks. Then I stopped. (Darn it) I did not do anything with it for a couple of years. My arms and grip were still pretty strong though. I am thinking of starting it up again.
~ I had thought about doing the stone warrior set as well but decided against it. I have done some other isotonic style sets in the past and while I got strong I noticed some problems. Many, many, many (not all, but many) of the practicioners of those sorts of exercises have noticable problems with basic neuromuscular functions. A LOT of people who have done this stuff for a long term basis (15 years plus) seem to have a constant lowered resistance to common colds. Additionally, many of them when they talk always seem like they are clearing phlegm out of their lungs. There are other little things that if you studied TCM for a while you might pick up as well.
~ It is not limited to people who do severe isotonic sets though. Many weight lifters, powerlifters, and bodybuilders have the same sorts of symptoms as well.
~ This does not take away from the tremondous strength gains that are available from those programs, but it is something to be considered before starting.
~ Iron palm is an interesting pursuit. A lot of instructors I have studied with say that after a person starts to learn Iron Palm then they can practice two man drills or sparring after that. Perhaps that is another reason why Iron Palm traditionally is taught many years after starting the arts... I would want to make sure my timing, distancing, footwork, and other vital skills were fully developed first before starting a program like that.
~ I have also found that when practicing BaGua, depending on where I focus, I can develop a tremendous amount of energy in my palms.
~ Just some food for thought. I hope it helps.
~ Discuss amongst yourselves.

Peace

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

IronFist
09-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

I do arm curls with two people in each hand and all four of those people work out harder than you.

Geez you freaking girl, did you feel that tremor? That was me deadlifting the Earth.

IronFist

Serpent
09-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Can someone describe snake turns over for me?

Serpent
09-10-2003, 11:14 PM

Geez you freaking girl, did you feel that tremor? That was me deadlifting the Earth.

IronFist

You could only deadlift it cos I was off-planet benching a couple of galaxies.

IronFist
09-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Leimeng
Many, many, many (not all, but many) of the practicioners of those sorts of exercises have noticable problems with basic neuromuscular functions. A LOT of people who have done this stuff for a long term basis (15 years plus) seem to have a constant lowered resistance to common colds. Additionally, many of them when they talk always seem like they are clearing phlegm out of their lungs. There are other little things that if you studied TCM for a while you might pick up as well.

That's interesting. I thought that these type of things strengthened the immune system. What causes this type of effect from a TCM perspective?

IronFist

IronFist
09-10-2003, 11:18 PM

You could only deadlift it cos I was off-planet benching a couple of galaxies.

Are you saying that because your fat ass was gone it lowered the total weight I had to deadlift by no less than 5.938x10^847091209120845987^10^10lbs and I was actually able to deadlift it?

Well, the only reason you were able to fit those galaxies on your bench press bar was because I crushed them down to a managable size with my massive crushing grip.

IronFist

Serpent
09-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Crushing Galaxies in his mighty hand - sounds like a good insterstellar myth starting there. Nice made-up numbers too.

You know you're weak. Just accept it.

IronFist
09-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Crushing Galaxies in his mighty hand - sounds like a good insterstellar myth starting there. Nice made-up numbers too.

You know you're weak. Just accept it.

::sniff:: I can't even bench press a pencil. :(

IronFist

Serpent
09-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Let's take one end each - I bet between us we could bench it.

Once.

:)

IronFist
09-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Crushing Galaxies in his mighty hand - sounds like a good insterstellar myth starting there.

Dude that reminds me of this:

I was spawned deep beneath the Pre-Cambrian sea, the scion of a far distant sun...
I have traversed the endless stars, and journeyed to a myriad galaxies...
The dimensional gates of the multiverse are mine to voyage effortlessly beyond,
Cosmic infinity is naught to one such as I... I am as one with celestial eternity...
Clad in gleaming pentlandite armour, on a whim I may reshape entire worlds,
Or extinguish the blazing light of a sun... and I remain forever enchanted by sylphs...

"Return to the Praesidium of Ys" - Bal-Sagoth

IronFist

IronFist
09-10-2003, 11:45 PM
You can have the eraser end.

Serpent
09-10-2003, 11:45 PM
That's cool! What is it exactly - not familiar with the names. Is it from Cthulu?

yenhoi
09-10-2003, 11:57 PM
6 mornings a week:

Hit a iron shot filled bag with my palm 12 times on each hand. :rolleyes:

Some 8 posture tension set. (There is probably more postures I havent learned yet.)

About an hour of working out with medicine ball. This includes lots of situps and lunges and pushups and leg stuff and having it dropped on me sometimes. Its cool to chase and carry around and run with and al sorts of cool stuff. Medicine ball.

Stance training?

And generally hitting myself against things, pads, mitts, people, trees.

:eek:

scotty1
09-11-2003, 02:55 AM
I'm usually in the gym 5 days a week, twice a day when possible. I'm usually in class about 13 hours per week.

Dude you're scary. In a good way.

As far as resistance to hits goes, we have some internal exercises (that I haven't been shown yet because I haven't been around long enough - not long now though) and application drills that tend to condition the forearms and other areas.

I'm sue there's more, but most of the good stuff comes down from the main man, and that can take a while I think.

Ryu
09-11-2003, 06:26 AM
And I've got two instructors certificates from Paul Vunak and they're both valid.

IronFist
09-11-2003, 10:22 AM
That's cool! What is it exactly - not familiar with the names. Is it from Cthulu?

Bal-Sagoth is a fantasy-metal (I guess) band. Their whole thing is telling a fantasty story through the medium of metal, although they use a lot of orchestra strings as well. Their songs are composed, like how you would write music for an orchestra. Some of their stuff is really awesome, and others are kinda crappy. Some of their songs have rediculously long names, but the one I quoted, "Return to the Praesidium of Ys" is a good starting place. The ending is especially cool, and has an awesome ending, starting with the Crescendo at 5:00 into the song. It's just a cool song. It might take some time to get used to his partial narration, or "talking" instead of singing sometimes, but it's very cool.

Return with me beyond the stars...
Rule with me a thousand worlds...
The galactic nexus has enpowered me
and, as a god, I shall return to the Praesidium of Ys

If you can't find it to download maybe I could transfer it to you on Aim or something.

IronFist

IronFist
09-11-2003, 10:26 AM
Here's another cool speech from a song called THE DARK LIEGE OF CHAOS IS UNLEASHED AT THE ENSORCELLED SHRINE OF A'ZURA-KAI (The Splendour of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire Part II)

(^ I told you they had long names)

Hearken, sons of the glorious Empire...
Here we stand upon the Field of Blood...
Though this day we may die,
Our legend shall live forever.

IronFist

FatherDog
09-11-2003, 11:44 AM
IF: If you like Bal Sagoth, you should definitely check out Rhapsody.

As for the actual question -

On Mondays and Thursdays, I go to the gym, warm up, and work upper body with bench presses (8 sets of 3, plyometrically, with 50% of my max on Mondays, and sets of 3-5 going down to singles of 1RM on Thursdays) skull-crushers (5 sets of 12 on Mondays, 3 sets of 5 on Thursdays), Arnold Presses (4 sets of 12 Mondays, 4 sets of 8 Thursdays) and Lat Pulldowns (4 sets of 15 Mon, 4 sets of 12 Thurs). Tuesdays and Fridays I take a Boxing class and a submission wrestling class (boxing first on Tuesdays, grappling first on Fridays). We do a lot of ab conditioning (dropping medicine balls, taking series of jabs to the midsection) in boxing class, and I'm often the takedown dummy in wrestling. Wednesdays and Saturdays, I go to the gym and work lower body; Wednesdays I do 8 sets of 2 plyometrically on box squats and 8 sets of 1 plyometrically on deadlifts. Saturdays I work to a max on either deadlifts, good mornings, or box squats. After that I do stiff-legged deadlifts (5 sets of 5 on Wednesday, 5 sets of 3 on Sat), weighted crunches (as many sets of 12 as I can do on Wed, as many sets of 8 as I can do on Sat), and hamstring curls (3 sets of 8, 3 sets of 5). After weights on Wednesdays and Saturdays I go home and do cardio; bag work, hindu squats and pushups, and takedown drills and spinning.

Sundays are my day of rest. Except for mowing the lawn. **** grass.. :mad:

Serpent
09-11-2003, 04:52 PM
IronFist - I don't use AIM, thanks anyway. I'll look some of it up - sounds like very interetsing stuff. Cheers. :)

blooming lotus
09-11-2003, 06:43 PM
is that it?

no really.

How many hours total is everyone putting in?

Serpent
09-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Including class time, practice, resistance training, cardio, etc., etc. I think I probably total somewhere between 20 to 30 hours a week depending on how busy/lazy I am.

blooming lotus
09-11-2003, 06:52 PM
IS THAT IT?

NO REALLY....

HOW MANY HOURS TOTAL IS EVERYONE PUTTING IN ON AN AVERAGE DAY?

yenhoi
09-11-2003, 08:34 PM
4-5

:eek:

IronFist
09-11-2003, 08:48 PM
IronFist - I don't use AIM, thanks anyway. I'll look some of it up - sounds like very interetsing stuff. Cheers. :)

Download it, lazy :p

Serpent
09-11-2003, 09:11 PM
My PC is a bit rooted at the mo, so I'm not putting anything new on. Should be getting a new PC soon though. Woohoo!

scotty1
09-12-2003, 06:01 AM
At the moment I put in about 1 hour a day solo training, give or take, depending on what I've got on or what mood I'm in.

As well as this I have an hour class and a two hour class.

At the moment I'm a beginner, so by the time I've learnt a bit more it'll be more like 2 hours solo training a day.

All of my training is from tai chi. No running, no weights (although weights do feature in our strength training), everything I want - strength, cardio etc.- I get from tai chi. So that 1 hour a day is directly applicable to what I'm doing, no fitness training that doesn't have applications.

So its not like I feel I have to do a lot of supplementary training.

The level I practice at is keeping me improving all the time, at a rate I'm happy with. I really don't know how you guys manage to do 4-5 hours a day.

Do you get up REALLY early in the morning?

I work full time, have a live in girlfriend, and friends who I like to see. I also don't train at all at the weekends, those are my rest days.

Some of the hours some of you guys put in, I literally could not do, unless I either lost my girlfriend, my job, my friends, or all three!
:confused:

CrippledAvenger
09-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
IS THAT IT?

NO REALLY....

HOW MANY HOURS TOTAL IS EVERYONE PUTTING IN ON AN AVERAGE DAY?

Obviously, I throw myself on the ground 12 hours a day. The other 12 hours I spend meditating on a one legged horse stance, focusing my chi.

:rolleyes:

MasterKiller
09-12-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm tight for time, too, but I get up at 6:00 AM to skip rope, do crunches, and stretch 3 times a week (Mon, Wed, Fri).

I go to class 1 3/4 hours Mon and Wed, and 3 hours Fri. I workout solo at the school on Saturday mornings for 1.5 hours (I have a key).

On Tues and Thurs, I do some minor weight training. I have a bench set at home, so I do bench presses, curls, etc... to build upper body strength. Also, at work on these days, I take a break about 3:00 PM, go to the bathroom, and do horse-stance in the one of the stalls for 5 minutes. It's the only private spot around.

I don't have the time or athleticism to be a supreme athlete or even great fighter, but I'm doing what I can, and I'm in the best shape of my life @ 30 years-old.

Judge Pen
09-12-2003, 07:58 AM
MK, I'm trying to become as disciplined as you are.

I get up at 6:00 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to do review my new material, do stance work, some iron hand and shin work, and some basic qigong. I have a private workout on Tuesday morning with my instructor which usually starts with Pa Kua, and then Hsing-I and 5 animal training. We review some materail and spar. Thursday night is my normal class that goes from 7 until 10. I take a rest on Friday and get a couple of hours in on Friday and Saturday.

I like the idea of stance work everyday in the bathroom. That's a great idea.

IronFist
09-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Leimeng said this:
Many, many, many (not all, but many) of the practicioners of those sorts of exercises have noticable problems with basic neuromuscular functions. A LOT of people who have done this stuff for a long term basis (15 years plus) seem to have a constant lowered resistance to common colds. Additionally, many of them when they talk always seem like they are clearing phlegm out of their lungs. There are other little things that if you studied TCM for a while you might pick up as well.

and then I said this:
That's interesting. I thought that these type of things strengthened the immune system. What causes this type of effect from a TCM perspective?

IronFist

fa_jing
09-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Also, at work on these days, I take a break about 3:00 PM, go to the bathroom, and do horse-stance in the one of the stalls for 5 minutes. It's the only private spot around.

I bet you love it when the Indian guys come in, take a curry dump in the stall next to yours, that F@rt gas is really good for the Lungs

MasterKiller
09-12-2003, 11:13 AM
I live in Oklahoma. Our Indians don't eat curry.

What kills me the most are the regular meat-and-potato guys. They must be stuffing their colons with Arbys everyday. But that's why I do it at 3:00; I avoid the guys who held it in on the way to work so they could take a dump on the clock, and the guys who stuffed their gut at lunch and need to clear some room.

yenhoi
09-12-2003, 11:20 AM
4-5 hours is an average.

Average 1 hours to sometimes 2 hours every morning, 6 to 8am.

Then between 2 and 3 hours of class each day except usually sunday.

3 hours each way once a month to be a seminar dummy for 4 hours.

Etc.

:confused:

Shaolin-Do
09-12-2003, 01:12 PM
I usually train till 10:00 or 11:00 at night.
Occasionally do horse stance infront of the computer here at work, but I get funny looks for it.

fa_jing
09-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Yes, the curry smell gets nasty and has absolutely killed my ability to eat Indian food, which I used to like. But agreed, the worst guys in the bathroom here tend to be fat-ass american born white guys with no necks. Their pants and underwear are always all the way down around their ankles, clearly visible under the stalls. They never give a courtesy flush (who does?) and always spend a long time in there, making sh!t nasty and vice versa. As I hear the string of explosions coming out of these a-holes, I'm also wondering what the heck these guys are eating. But thinking about it, I've seen these kind of guys carrying an "Arby's" bag with them, I see it all the time.

Blech. :(

blooming lotus
09-12-2003, 03:16 PM
ok. well thanks everyone for sharing. to make it fair, between cardio, flexiblty, resistance, core, qigong, footwork, speed and form specific training I usually clock up about 6 - 9 hours average per day. sometimes more, sometimes less, and before some wise guy tries to suggest that average joe doesnt have that much time, i say bull****ing****!!! There is ALWAYS time to train! (well nearly)
I also have a full-time sudy load, sometimes model, and have a time consuming 9yr old daughter. But what chya gon do .... Cant help myself I guess

cant get enough, cant get enough

IronFist
09-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Leimeng said this:

and then I said this:

IronFist