PDA

View Full Version : Godawful Single Whip Applications in IKF

MaFuYee
09-11-2003, 06:39 AM
has anyone seen the latest issue of Inside Kung Fu?

... the single whip article ....

::vomit::

what a terrible disservice to the tai chi, and martial arts community in general, to show such horrible misinterpretations of tai chi... once again, reinforcing the stereotype that tai chi players are just a bunch of clowns who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. *sigh*

doesn't IKF employ anyone who has even the slightest clue when it comes to m.a.'s - specifially, tai chi? - how could they print that rubbish?

::::::::::::::::

thanks for the jook lum article... but the rest unfortunately, was mostly crap.

MasterKiller
09-11-2003, 06:47 AM
And what the hell was up with the article about the rapper? He claimed to practice JKD, but only said he knew a guy who taught him his own personal philosophy of kicking and punching. He didn't talk about any sort of traditional training other than he went to this guy's house a couple of times a week when he was a kid.

And his stances were awful. He's got his thumb stuck out in that punch from (a very bad) horse stance, and in the picture of him doing the traditional salute, his index and middle fingers are not closed in the fist.

And that outfit he was wearing. :rolleyes:

Are they that desperate for readers or material that they have to print crap like that?

IKF keeps getting worse and worse.

Judge Pen
09-11-2003, 06:51 AM
Haven't read it in a while. What you are saying here doesn't give me an incentive to either.

count
09-11-2003, 06:56 AM
Just filler for the ads and tape sales. Every now and then you see a good article though. Shame really that none of these magazines get it.:cool:

bodhitree
09-11-2003, 09:56 AM
Inside Kung fu always sucks a**. There magazine is horrible hollywood, phoney crap.

bodhitree
09-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Oh my that rapper was funny. I'm gonna be a jkd guy who dresses like a rice farmer from a bad veitnam war movie. IKF has all kinds of "jkd experts". To me there was only one jkd teacher. I wouldnt buy anything from them.

Vash
09-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Why does stuff have to suck so badly?

[brown-nosing]
At least Kungfu Magazine is still the best M.A. mag out there/
[/brown-nosing]

Black Belt has sucked ass as long as I've been literate, and the only other MA mag I can find down here is the Ring, and I'm not a fan of heavyweight boxing anymore.

Welterweight and similar is where it's at!

dwid
09-11-2003, 10:19 AM
What was the rapper's name?

Just curious.

MasterKiller
09-11-2003, 10:49 AM
The Mexican moron named Taboo from Black Eyed Peas.

dwid
09-11-2003, 11:03 AM
I knew there was something wrong with that guy.

Starchaser107
09-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Inside kungfu sucks.

and alot of the times..theres no kungfu inside it.

Musicalkatachmp
09-11-2003, 03:26 PM
This Taboo that we saw in Inside Kung Fu is clearly a schmuck. But did you see those chicks he was with? Whoooo Maybe we gotta start dressing up like rice farmers, take a lesson in JKD and say that we have attained "inner peace".

Oh and the last page of IKF is often worth looking at, not worth reading, but worth looking at.

Shaolin-Do
09-11-2003, 03:57 PM
JKD isnt jeet kun do silly boys... In his case its Jeez I Kan Dance.
Hes a great breaker, but apparently knows little to nothing of MA.
:)

Ben Gash
09-11-2003, 04:13 PM
I think it was a bit bad to have a supposed Taiji article using Aikido terminology for the applications.:rolleyes: No prizes for guessing where they came from. Tragically though that was probably the best IKF for a while (I mean I actually bought it).

rubthebuddha
09-12-2003, 09:19 AM
i think it's a sad thing for IKF when people on the forum sponsored by another magazine pick IKF apart -- without any prodding by that other magazine. :D

norther practitioner
09-12-2003, 09:59 AM
What were the apps that they showed for the single whip, and why do you think they were so horrible.

GeneChing
09-12-2003, 10:21 AM
:D

Liokault
09-12-2003, 10:36 AM
The only martial art mag I ever though worth a crap was fighting Arts International. sadly its no longer with us, and it was a bit heavy on the karate.

Oh.....I just um....subscribed to kung fu magazine BTW./

CaptinPickAxe
09-12-2003, 12:48 PM
Taboo is from Black-eyed Peas. They suck nowdays. I saw him @ warped tour back in '99, and I have to say he can break dance like a m*therf*cker. But that doesn't mean he can fight. It seems like rappers these days are trying to make everything pop culture, Afu-Ra is a black belt in TKD. We all know how wonderful TKD is...

lkfmdc
09-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Inside Kungfu Magazine is to martial arts magazine journalism what S C R E W magazine is to newspaper journalism

for those who aren't aware, that is NOT a compliment

Ben Gash
09-12-2003, 01:01 PM
David, from someone whose had several articles published in it....
:rolleyes:

lkfmdc
09-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Precisely, because I always resented finding my articles sandwiched between two pieces of crap that usually played to the worst sterotype of bad movie style kung fu....

And you notice I don't put stuff in their anymore, because I found it pointless. Pearls before swine. Real martial art application to a crwd that wants to read about secret dim mak nonsense

ANd let's not forget the Chinese master of the week who is "world famous" even though no one you know has ever heard of him

jun_erh
09-12-2003, 02:34 PM
They bite Gene's style too

GeneChing
09-16-2003, 09:53 AM
define bite please.

norther practitioner
09-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Mimic your style...
to no avail...:D

MasterKiller
09-16-2003, 12:34 PM
bite
1) (v) To copy lyrics from other people. "I know you down south are biting my lines, and if I catch you boy, your ass is mine" -- Schoolly D. (Gucci time)
2) (v) To steal

http://www.anthonyvitti.com/hiphopdictionaryb.html

norther practitioner
09-16-2003, 01:13 PM
So, is anyone going to answer my question from before? What the hell do they show as the ap. for single whip that you are ridiculing

MasterKiller
09-16-2003, 01:35 PM
Some of them were OK. But there were a couple of crappy ones. I didn't read the article enough to comment in-depth about it.

Shaolin-Do
09-16-2003, 01:40 PM
You hang the whip from your genitals and flair your pelvis about wildly.

GeneChing
09-17-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the hip hop lesson. It's a fair cop. I stopped listening to Rap and Hip Hop a few years back.

You really think they bite my style? How so specifically?