PDA

View Full Version : Water pt.2 (Cold or warm)

Starchaser107
09-11-2003, 07:56 PM
Ok, the first post about water for those who do not know asked "How many of you drank water during class, vesus how many who didn't" , a considerable amount of people said that they drank water during class.

This post deals with Water from a different angle :)

"How many of you bathe in cold water , how many of you in warm?" and "Are there any logical reasons for doing so, and how does it affect your training and day to day life?"

this is under the assumption that everybody here bathes,...even if on occasion

joedoe
09-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Usually warm water, cold on hot days. Never cold water after a workout.

Starchaser107
09-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Aaaah Joe, I always for some reason suspected that you were hygenic. Why not cold after a work out , is this bad? Does the climate down there have anything to do with it.

Bathers please , don't be shy.

joedoe
09-11-2003, 08:29 PM
I find that if I am hot and sweaty from a workout, the shock to the system caused by taking a cold shower is unpleasant. I also find that my asthma seems to play up if I do that. However, if I allow myself time to cool off properly after a workout, then a cold shower is fine - but not in winter :)

IronFist
09-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Sometimes in the shower I alternate hot and cold water while massaging a sore muscle (shut up romos). They say it helps DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) go away quicker but I dunno.

Actually I don't do it that much cuz I didn't notice much of a difference.

IronFist

Serpent
09-11-2003, 09:07 PM
I ALWAYS alternate between hot and cold after a workout. Start off with a nice hot shower and do all the soaping, take a pi$$, masturbate, what have you, then to finish off I always turn up the cold for about 10 or 15 seconds, then the hot, and repeat several times. If it's hot weather, I end with cool water and if it's winter I end with hot water.

I find it really helps for DOMS and general training aches.

joedoe
09-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Ewwwww. You p!ss in the shower?!?!?!?!

And I don't believe you take showers - you are of Pommy descent :D

Serpent
09-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Better than p!ssing in the bath.

:)

Starchaser107
09-11-2003, 10:23 PM
If I ever relocate from this lovely place Australia would be a consideration.

It would be perfect if not for having the most dangerous every single animal and reptile you can think of.

joedoe
09-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
If I ever relocate from this lovely place Australia would be a consideration.

It would be perfect if not for having the most dangerous every single animal and reptile you can think of.

I'll let you in on a secret - most Aussies will never encounter a deadly creature in their day-to-day lives. Unles you live in the outback, he only time you will come across them is usually in the zoo. But don't tell anyone OK? :D

Starchaser107
09-11-2003, 10:35 PM
blame national geographic and the discovery channel for any misconceptions and sterotypical statements on my part.

joedoe
09-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Nah, they are right. Australia is home to some of the deadliest animals around. It's just that they are pretty rare in urban areas so the chances of encountering one is pretty slim. It is only in the wilderness areas that you are more likely to come across them (like the German tourist who went swimming in a water hole and was taken by a croc a year or two ago). Makes for great fun when scaring tourists though :)

Serpent
09-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Weeeell.... Joe's being kinda generous there.

For example, the suburbs around Sydney have holes all over their gardens and in those holes live Funnel-Web Spiders, which are pretty nasty.

A guy nearly lost his leg at the beach ten minutes from my house last year to a shark.

We've got nine of the ten most venomous snakes... or the nine most venomous snakes actually!... in the world and you can see some of those not too far from the city.

However, the chance of having a fatal encounter with these things is slim. The last person to die from a Funnel-Web bite, for example, was back in 1950-something.

There have been a few shark deaths, but not too many.

It's all part of what makes living in Australia so exciting.

:)

Starchaser107
09-12-2003, 12:08 AM
I find it really interesting actually. If I were with the right ppl I'd 4 sure explore.
Snakes here aren't venomous , and they're far from fearsome looking might as well be worms.

joedoe
09-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Well, if you are ever heading down this way let us know and we will see what we can organise :)

fa_jing
09-12-2003, 10:49 AM
My wife comes from a hot country where usually the water is kind of cold in the shower. If anyone is doing physical exertion that creates body heat, they know to always cool down first for 1/2 hour, before stepping into the shower, no matter how hot and sweaty you are. To do otherwise can catch you a cold. It's different here, we have warm running water. After a workout, I usually start with warm water. If my muscles are sore, I'll progress to hot water. If it's hot outside, I'll finish up with cold water. I really like cold water showers, great for waking up and invigorating you.

Former castleva
09-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Australia rocks.It has The Rocks.Get it?
The old rocks (I mean The Old),this would include mountains.
The list goes on...

"For example, the suburbs around Sydney have holes all over their gardens and in those holes live Funnel-Web Spiders, which are pretty nasty."

Does Serpent remember the spider species,the poison of which is deadly ONLY to primates (us included)?

MasterKiller
09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Well, if you are ever heading down this way let us know and we will see what we can organise Organise....Austrailian for circle-jerk!

Starchaser107
09-12-2003, 01:57 PM
FC, MK, surely u both bathe
every now and then.

Starchaser107
09-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Oh I almost forgot , I love warm/hot water, regardless of wether its hot or cold. but every now and then I try cold water and I must say I find it invigorationg. the biggest drawback is that well..it's cold.

norther practitioner
09-12-2003, 02:36 PM
I thought its biggest shortcoming is well, producing shortcomings...:D

I like a cool shower after working out, a nice hot one before going out and to get some of the knots out.

Former castleva
09-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Chase,
not really.

Starchaser107
09-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Its ok,
I won't discriminate.:p

joedoe
09-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
Organise....Austrailian for circle-jerk!

Huh? Maybe I should have spelled it organize? :D

Volcano Admim
09-14-2003, 04:43 PM
drink cold
bath in hot, xecpt on hot summers, then bath in cold

anton
09-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Cold showers can be safe after you work out, but they have to be quick (you don't just stand there for ten minutes freezing your balls off) , you've gotta step into a warm room afterwards and you've gotta dry yourself quickly.
In provincial Russia it was common old dudes go to a traditional sauna ("banya") heat it to ridiculous temperatures, beat each other with dry birch branches to get the circulation flowing then run outside and either rub snow on themsleves or even better jump into a lake (a hole had to be cut in the ice beforehand).

Starchaser107
09-14-2003, 08:06 PM
my word.
and u know i'd be crazy enough to try that if i lived in russia.
however i dont so if i did i'd probably get phneumonia:(

fa_jing
09-15-2003, 08:11 AM
some people here jump into Lake Michigan in the winter. F'd up!

MasterKiller
09-15-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
FC, MK, surely u both bathe
every now and then.
I shower in very hot water, year round. Other people, such as my wife, find the temperature at which I bathe unbearable. I like the heat because it loosens up my muscles.