PDA

View Full Version : I have to learn this style!

Laughing Cow
09-12-2003, 12:02 AM
This is one style that I got to learn.

Sounds totally awesome and the origin story just blew me away.

Youn Wha Ryu (http://www.younwha.com/Legend.html)

"Youn Wha was a legendary female martial artist living on a remote island in the Orient. She was a regognized master of alchemy and a highly skilled martial artist. Her beauty was as legendary as her skill level in the martial arts, and many highly proficient martial artists in the nations, knowing of her acclaimed beauty and skill, embarked on journeys to see her and train with her.
To reach her, the martial artists had to defeat and avoid traps that could maim and kill the unwary. It was only the best and the most highly skilled martial art masters that weathered these pitfalls and were rewarded with the opportunity to view the beautiful Youn Wha. Unbeknownst to these masters, Youn Wha would use her skills in alchemy to prevent these high level martial artists from leaving her island, by drugging their food and drink. As she was the only one who had the daily antidote, for the drug, those who left her fortress did not survive the traps. In this way, she required the masters to write down their secrets so she could gain the knowledge of their systems and train in the techniques. It is from these writings that the system of Youn Wha was formed. The Youn Wha system contains all high level techniques from all systems and is unique in that no other system contains so many high level principles in one training method."

Hope the original island still exists.
:D

Fu-Pau
09-12-2003, 12:30 AM
somebody hand me a grain of salt…

Subzero
09-12-2003, 03:14 AM
A grain?
More like a bucket load!
:D

chen zhen
09-12-2003, 05:28 AM
sombody read The Odyssey after taking E.

MasterKiller
09-12-2003, 06:38 AM
Due to its complexity, Grandmaster Han integrated Tae Kwon Do into his teaching system.

Shaolin-Do
09-12-2003, 06:50 AM
lofl
fear the mighty power of TKD!

apoweyn
09-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
lofl
fear the mighty power of TKD!

This is a problem with idiotic marketing. Not with taekwondo.

MasterKiller
09-12-2003, 07:12 AM
wtf does lofl mean?

Starchaser107
09-12-2003, 07:17 AM
How could she incoperate tae kwon do, It originated last century. what bullcrap is that?

mk
laughing out f'ing loud

MasterKiller
09-12-2003, 07:31 AM
In an effort to legitimize themselves, TKD proponents (including the Korean government) spout off that TKD is 2,000 years old. Just as bad as all the big Kempo schools claiming they teach Shaolin kung fu, as far as I'm concerned.

Judge Pen
09-12-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
How could she incoperate tae kwon do, It originated last century. what bullcrap is that?

mk
laughing out f'ing loud

Not that I'm defending this place (I'm not) but the site said that "he" incorporated TKD. He being GM Han I presume.

apoweyn
09-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
In an effort to legitimize themselves, TKD proponents (including the Korean government) spout off that TKD is 2,000 years old. Just as bad as all the big Kempo schools claiming they teach Shaolin kung fu, as far as I'm concerned.

Some taekwondo proponents do, yes. Others do not.

Years ago, Herb Perez (former Olympic taekwondo champion) did a really excellent series of articles on the history of taekwondo. Not mystified or glamourized. Very solid read. Anyone who's genuinely interested in getting past the hoopla should try and find the back issues.

Stuart B.

Starchaser107
09-12-2003, 07:59 AM
very keen eyes when it comes to paperwork...I wonder where that comes from hmmn.:)
hehheh
thanks for the heads up.

this does bring up another questioon though

Why is tkd the basis of the style? Isn't that different from saying that the basics come from tkd?

critique

Chang Style Novice
09-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by apoweyn

Years ago, Herb Perez (former Olympic taekwondo champion) did a really excellent series of articles on the history of taekwondo. Not mystified or glamourized. Very solid read. Anyone who's genuinely interested in getting past the hoopla should try and find the back issues.

Where were these published, Stu?

The Willow Sword
09-12-2003, 08:47 AM
is a westernized american ized version of hwarangdo(which i have seen in action and it looks pretty good........for a movie;) )