PDA

View Full Version : Bagua in LA

Falcor
09-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Hi, can you help me choose between three teacher of Bagua in LA? My choices are Glenn Sharp, Jason Tsou, and Tim Cartmell. I wanna learn Bagua as a whole system, not just forms. Thanks.

count
09-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Jason does teach Bagua as a complete system. Tim Cartmell is an excellent teacher too but I don't think you'll get the same depth of chi kung, TCM, and history as with Jason. I can't say anything about Gerald Sharp except second hand.

In our Bagua classes (Jason's) forms are the last thing you get. First comes basics, than drills and applications, than using the basics freely, than forms. It's actually alot more detailed than that, but you get the idea. Jason also has a vast background in other styles. Most of us are doing Bagua or Baji/Piqua though. I would add you won't find a better bargain in the world.

You might also check out
Su Dong Cheng
Jiang Ho Quan
Gong Xiong Xia
There are many others too. If that's not enough for you I can help. But all these could be found in the same area as Jason.

I'm biased but I think Jason is the right choice. :cool:

count
09-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Language is somewhat of a barrier with most of the teachers mentioned above. Chinese and English is not a problem in our class.

rogue
09-12-2003, 03:53 PM
In our Bagua classes (Jason's) forms are the last thing you get. Count, is that unusual? The guy teaching me Tai Chi started me out on various push hands. Said it was pointless to learn the long form if I didn't understand the jings.

count
09-12-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by rogue
Count, is that unusual? The guy teaching me Tai Chi started me out on various push hands. Said it was pointless to learn the long form if I didn't understand the jings.
Seems to be against the norm Rouge. People get bored with the basics and would rather learn forms. The "masters of old" that everyone is always refering to didn't have forms. Training was more about the important things like power development, kicking ass, fighting concepts, and fixing the pain. Forms came later. I still like learning forms though, and it seems like when we've already covered the basics and the techniques, forms are simple to put together. That's one reason I like Jason's teaching methods. More about hitting trees and less about hugging them.;)

count
09-16-2003, 06:56 AM
for Falcor

Falcor
09-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Hey, thanks for all the info. Work and life keeps me from posting regularly or even checking back regularly.

By the way, what does TTT mean?

count
09-16-2003, 02:19 PM
:cool: