PDA

View Full Version : How to Start a San Shou Club

CrippledAvenger
09-12-2003, 08:18 AM
Rather than latch on to Mr. Ross' exciting announcement, I figured I'd start my own thread about this.

At the moment, me and my senior are thinking about starting up a San Shou club. We have some tenative support from students at the University of Chicago, but I (at least) don't have much of a clue as to how to get the thing started. How does one start a club, find a coach, enter events, et cetera?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

rubthebuddha
09-12-2003, 08:21 AM
if you are a student yourself, check with UC's associated students. typically, an AS-authorized club will get a little bit of a budget (rarely more than $100, but hey, that's still $100) as well as assistance in promotion. it'll also be handy in getting space in gymnasium rooms or whatever. having a connection to the uni can serve you well (spoken just like a dude who works for a uni ;)).

lkfmdc
09-12-2003, 08:39 AM
Starting a gym/school, finding students, paying bills etc is more of a martial arts business question and isn't so easy to answer.

Getting athletes you have who are interested in competiting into competitions is a much easier answer. Either by email or snail mail (yeah we still do that ancient ritutal) we can keep you up to date on what is going on in our community. Email is best, we send out emails sometimes as much as two times a day when there is real news.

Our competitions have B class, so a new athlete with no fights doesn't have to worry about facing a killer with 20 fights.

Follow our web site at http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda and you will get lots of info including event announcements

Also, we are eventually going to have a yearly national training camp where athletes can work with top coaches and work out with top athletes. Things are crazy now so I'm not starting that yet, but it WILL happen

Suntzu
09-12-2003, 08:42 AM
train... show up... prepare to fight... fight

i would guess... find a coach and/or familiarize yourself with the rules... and gear your and your students training within those constraints... train hard... show up in November... fight... go back and work on weaknesses... repeat...

lkfmdc
09-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Be prepared as a new team to have ups and downs. Be prepared to lose. Real champions lose and go back to train HARDER and come back better...

B division will make it easier, in the old days you were sending sheep into lions and tigers, but it's still a rough sport

But as a community, we are very friendly and supportive, if you want it, and are willing to work for it, you will make it

CrippledAvenger
09-12-2003, 11:26 PM
TTT

Thanks for the info so far, Coach Ross. I might have more questions for you after I get some sleep and discuss your advice with those involved.

Liokault
09-13-2003, 01:49 AM
My teacher put San Shou (chinese rules fullcontact) for the first time a few months ago to get more people who want to compete.

The lack of interest was over whelming. After the posters went up class sizes went down.

Just dont seem to be interest in San Shou in this country.