PDA

View Full Version : Yi Lu Mai Fu

Robert Young
09-12-2003, 09:01 AM
I have no intention to make this forum become a Long Fist discussion. But, I found that people have different expectation or perspective of what they learn even they learn the same thing. Over the years, I have noticed how much difference the interpretations of a form can make from my younger brothers who I have trained with the same explanations and same method of training. I believe this is another case of different interpretation of a form by two different source. So, I will say about my side of story and you can judge yourself.

> maybe we learnt slightly diverging versions? Because frankly, if
> indeed qualitatively the two forms feel really different, I do not
> feel that quantitatively one is richer in kicks or jumps compared
> to the other.
I went to books store last night and checked his book on Long Fist. I found out he has added a kick after the second Hsing Bu and rooster stance. I believe that was something he added himself which I don't think that is a good move. If he did not add that move then his teacher is the one to blame. But, I guess you stuck with it. That kick will slow the flow of the sequence. There should be a two jumps on the left foot and then go to seated stance. Actually, the first sequence also has a two jumps on the left foot and then go to half horse with right hammer fist.
It is the flow of the sequences that I want to emphasize.

> I agree though that somehow yi lu feels more aerial, even if in
> the forms I learnt it is not due, I repeat, to an overwhelming
> difference of the number of jumps and kicks involved, but rather
> to the way they are performed.
The major difference between Er Lu and Yi Lu is the moves after Hsing Bu. First, they all followed by rooster stance and then jump which Those are the moves make you feel the form aerial.

To me, a form with three long jumps is a lot. Especially, when you try to jump as far as you can in the practice.

I don't think there is an "overwhelming" difference either. That was not what I said. How much difference do you think the forms from the same style will make? But, the aerial feeling you have is the sign that you want to focus. Because that is what Yi Lu Mai Fu can give you that Er Lu can not. It will make you feel more different when you practice them fast.

If two forms give you pretty much the same feeling, then you don't need two forms, one is enough. Like I said, Grand teacher Han choose those two forms as core materials with good reasons.

Cheers,

Robert Young
09-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Sorry I posted to the wrong thread. My previous post should be in another thread, Er Lu Mai Fu.

Robert,

WanderingMonk
09-13-2003, 07:11 AM
Allow me to introduce you to the delete function. Just edit the original post which started the thread (if you are the guy who posted it). You will see a delete check box. Use it and your mistake gets erase. So, you don't have to apologize in public.

wm

Sho
09-13-2003, 10:18 AM
I reckon he can't delete it anymore after someone else has posted on it. Not 100% sure about that though.