PDA

View Full Version : Box squat question for Ford Prefect

IronFist
09-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Hey, since box squats are obviously harder than regular squats, when I get to the end of a PTP cycle with box squats (when I can't complete the sets anymore), do you think it would work if I changed back to regular squats to allow me to keep going with higher weights? Or should I just end the cycle when I can't do the box squats anymore?

Also, the PTP GVT thing is interesting. I'm definately getting increased endurance from GVT'ing, but I'm still weak as hell even with PTP 3 times a week. Weights that used to be way below anything I ever did still feel heavy to me. But, that's what I get for being sick for 6 weeks. I guess it will all come back in time. And I totally have to forget about my ego when I use low GVT weights, especially as I struggle like a noob with light weights towards the end of the sets :D

It just sucks, though, because I'm so used to doing only sets of 5 and all failures were CNS or strength related, not from lactic acid buildup. Heh, I forgot what the burn feels like.

IronFist

Ford Prefect
09-12-2003, 12:17 PM
I'd keep cycling down box squats for a few cycles before throwing the free squats in there. Just imagine how much stronger your free squat will be when you strengthen the definciency in the muscle groups you use for box squatting. Kind of like the chain/weakest link thing.

I hear ya with the rest though. I hate struggling under noob weights. When I was recovering, it was a struggle to put up 135 benching and forget about squatting. It hurts the ego, but screw it. Good luck with the program. Let us know how it goes. I decided to start cycling into more high intensity and explosive work so I can really explode of the jumps and in the pipe riding this winter.

IronFist
09-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Whoa, that was a fast reply!

IronFist

Ford Prefect
09-12-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm sitting here at work building 3 servers. It's basically install patch > wait > reboot > repeat. Lots of spare time. I'm going crazy.

FatherDog
09-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I'm sitting here at work building 3 servers. It's basically install patch > wait > reboot > repeat. Lots of spare time. I'm going crazy.

Welcome to my life. That's 90% of my job these days.

As a side note, the way I've been doing box squats is to sit down while leaning forward somewhat, then push back with my neck till my torso is perpendicular with the ground (while my ass is still on the box) and then stand up. Is this correct, more or less?

Ford Prefect
09-12-2003, 01:45 PM
If it's all in one fluid motion, that sounds about right. You're upperbody starts moving "up" before you start standing up off the box.