PDA

View Full Version : Air and kungfu training

Starchaser107
09-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Is there an easy way to acclimatize ones self.
Specifically from normal altitudes to higher ones, and from hot to cold without causing shock to the body?

How long does acclimatization like that usually take and what's the shortest time it could theoretically possibly take?

I'm going to use a very extreme example but you guys can work with it to accomodate ok.

say for instance if a martial artist from Ethiopia were to go to the Himalayas to train, how long would he take to adjust to the altitude and the climate?

tnx, sc107

norther practitioner
09-12-2003, 02:26 PM
A few weeks depending on how high in the himilayans they went...

Moving from NY to Denver took a few days. Altitude sickness can be a pain in the ass too...

Starchaser107
09-13-2003, 12:20 AM
Any way to force your body to speed up the process?

Shaolin-Do
09-13-2003, 12:30 AM
WHen I drove from texas to colorado the only problem was that my ears kept popping. Not really any problems besides that.

anton
09-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Russian styles:
After your morning jog/workout when you're hot, jump under a cold shower for a few secs... do this every morning. When you dry yourself afterwards do it quickly, vigorously but thoroughly...
If you've done it right, after you've dried yourself and put on your clothes you should feel quite warm/hot and you should have an increased tolerance to cold for the next few hours... But in the long run this will help you acclimatise, and you'll probably find yourself catching colds/the flu far less often than you normally do.
Putting yourself through this in the morning may seem a bit masochistic at first, but IMO its worth the feeling you get afterwards... after a couple of times you actually learn to enjoy the process... Give it a try.

Starchaser107
09-13-2003, 12:31 AM
did you train in colorado, if so did u notice any difference?

Starchaser107
09-13-2003, 12:33 AM
tnx anton I shall.

Oso
09-13-2003, 04:48 AM
some bits of info I've picked up and have held as true. no sources however.

the ratio of loss of oxygen per x rise in elevation is highest between 3 and 7 thousand feet. After 7000 feet the O2 % still lessens of course but a a slower rate. For me, this has meant that if I did cardio work at the higher end of that range then I was doing some sort of acclimatizing.

at higher elevations, the rule for mountain climbers used to be 1000 feet a day then you had to let your body catch up on the red blood cell production over a 24 hour period.

*edit* meant to add that obviously this isn't the rule anymore and I think my source for this was an older edition of "Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills" **

I used to have 2 different bike rides and one run that would take me up a 1000 feet rise in elevation over the course of the ride/run

a- a 1.5 mile bike with an elevation increase of about 1100 feet.

b- a 14 mile bike starting at 3300 peaking at about 4600 with the halfway point at 3900 and then the last half a slow spin back to 3300.

c- a 3 mile run starting at 4400 and going up to about 5600 and then down to about 3800.

**disclaimer** this was all a regular thing for me in my roaring 20's. Haven't done any of this in over 6 years. ** :)

Starchaser107
09-13-2003, 10:32 AM
well, I'm in my roaring twenties so i can only hope for the best .

blessings.