PDA

View Full Version : reason"S for training

russellsherry
09-14-2003, 05:42 PM
hi guy"S i started my wing chun in 1976, amoung, my first teacher"S were chris , stamilous australian champion carlo bassi, victorian , champion , david petrson with whom tuaght me my first bong sua, and side kick as a disabled person i nearly gave up , more than once my my reason"S for training became more important to me as i was getting into a litle trouble back then , i waqs wondering guys your reason"S for sticking with training peace russell sherry

John Weiland
09-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by russellsherry
hi guy"S i started my wing chun in 1976, amoung, my first teacher"S were chris , stamilous australian champion carlo bassi, victorian , champion , david petrson with whom tuaght me my first bong sua, and side kick as a disabled person i nearly gave up , more than once my my reason"S for training became more important to me as i was getting into a litle trouble back then , i waqs wondering guys your reason"S for sticking with training peace russell sherry
Hi Russell,

I like Gichin Funakoshi's answer, who in his eightieth year was asked why he still practiced karate. He said he did it to keep his stomach flat. :D

In addition to the long-term health benefits, here in the Western World, violent crime is on the rise. While I don't believe Wing Chun is the only ingredient in self-defense, if there comes even one time when it is necessary and its use successful, then the years of practice will have been a worthwhile investment.

But the day-to-day practice required is motivated by internalizing its value to one's self. It makes me feel good to practice. My day is incomplete and I feel unbalanced if I miss a day of practice.

Plus, Wing Chun has many mysteries to me, or more aptly, to my body. Until I can fully realize my potential, I'm too stubborn to quit. :D

Good question and well-worth pondering.

russellsherry
09-15-2003, 05:49 PM
hi john, sorry about , my typeover, mistake"S do you know, at first it was just for self defence , then it became a little more important, to me and somethimg the great wong shun leunrg said at a semminar out here once my aim in training is to beter myself with each day this has stuck with me. peace russell sherry

John Weiland
09-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by russellsherry
hi john, sorry about , my typeover, mistake"S do you know, at first it was just for self defence , then it became a little more important, to me and somethimg the great wong shun leunrg said at a semminar out here once my aim in training is to beter myself with each day this has stuck with me. peace russell sherry
Hi Russell,

WSL was very clearly on to something. :D I like his reason the best. Thanks.

Regards,