PDA

View Full Version : Weighted vests

PHILBERT
09-14-2003, 07:46 PM
What are your experiences with weighted vests? I found a 40 lb vest at the store today for $100 and might get it for Christmas so I can wear it when I jog, do pull ups, push ups and jumping exercises. I know ankle weights are a big no-no and I wanted to get something to wear when I jog to hold me down with resistance. Any opinions?

yu shan
09-14-2003, 08:57 PM
We used weight vests while doing forms work, and exercises! Merry Christmas. As for jogging, other grueling stuff for this.

AndyC
09-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Why are ankle weights a bad idea? Is the reason mainly related to jogging? Would it be safe to use ankle weights while not training, i.e. in normal day activities like walking around and stuff?

Also how effective is weighted training?

NeedsPractice
09-20-2003, 10:04 PM
There was a period of about a month when I wore ankle weights during my normal daily routine at work. Walking around , climbing ladders, and stairs etc. I did notice that when I took them off, and in general my feet seemed to move faster. That is I felt I could kick faster ( i dont know about harder) and also step quicker . If felt like most of the leverage of the weight was working against my hip muscles. I deliberatley made sure I didnt do any jumping or running because I didnt want to strain my knees. I didnt notice any pain or problems, and stopped because I got tired of doing it (burning more energy to get around during a day that was sometimes already very physical.
I wouldnt adivse kicking with ankle weights, at speed you would probably tear something.

SevenStar
09-20-2003, 10:22 PM
Ankle weights themselves aren't a bad idea, various training methods with them are, however, such as jogging and jumping.

method man
09-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by PHILBERT
What are your experiences with weighted vests? I found a 40 lb vest at the store today for $100 and might get it for Christmas so I can wear it when I jog, do pull ups, push ups and jumping exercises. I know ankle weights are a big no-no and I wanted to get something to wear when I jog to hold me down with resistance. Any opinions?

not for jog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! u try to hurt youself or what??????? jog very hard on bod wit no xtra weigh...... use weigh for streng power not aerobi

best vest http://thexvest.com