PDA

View Full Version : San Deigo County Shuai-Chiao?

Black Jack
09-15-2003, 10:51 AM
I thought this forum might be a good place to check for a friend of mine in Point Loma, CA who is interested in checking out a Shaui-Chaio school in the San Deigo County area.

He is enlisted Navy, has a training background in muay thai, derobio escrima, and 7 Star Praying Mantis and is interested in doing self defense based grappling/throwing.

I have him looking into what is hopefully a old school Kodokan Judo guy down there but he also mentioned chinese wrestling so I thought I would put this here.

If you have any info you can post it here or just pm me if you wish.

Cheers

Water Dragon
09-15-2003, 11:50 AM
James Lin and Mark Cheng teach in LA. Dr. Daniel Weng is out by San Francisco. That's all that I'm aware of in Cali.

Raatra
09-15-2003, 12:04 PM
"He is enlisted Navy, has a training background in muay thai, derobio escrima, and 7 Star Praying Mantis and is interested in doing self defense based grappling/throwing."

Just make sure he understands Shuai Chiao doesnt really do too much ground work. It puts great emphasis on the throwing/locking aspect. But its a real in your face art and im sure he will like it based on his background.

count
09-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Jason Tsou has the good stuff in LA. A few make the drive from San Diego every week. Sorry, I don't know anyone down there and I don't know anyone better anywhere. ;)

Black Jack
09-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Thanks gents.

I pretty much figured he would have to make the climb to LA for Shuai Chiao but it didn't hurt to ask. If he was not confined to a specific area that might be something he would look into but for now a closer school would be a better bet.

There should be some good judo in that area. I believe the San Diego Navy base has a old school vet that he is looking into who teaches a club there.

Thanks again.

CaptinPickAxe
09-15-2003, 12:57 PM
This is excellent news. I leave for college next fall. Is Sifu Kirk of San Antonio affiliated with Dr.Weng? I wouldn't want to have to start over when I make the pilgrimage.

Water Dragon
09-15-2003, 01:26 PM
CPA, Shuai Chiao is Shuai Chiao. Whatever you learn from Kirk will be similar to what you learn from Dr. Weng.