PDA

View Full Version : Lost my first tournament fight, but i'm proud of my effort

Cachete
09-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Hi ya'll this is my first post after months of only reading threads here.

Well, last sunday was the 4th Anual metropolitan Kung Fu & Tai Chi tournament here in Lima, capital of Peru.

I've been practicing Hsing I since april, and before that i never practiced any sport, in fact, i was getting a little fat.

6 months later and 10 kg. less, my Sifu told us to enter the tournament, so i was there since the morning watching the Tai chi, kids categories, etc, until 6 pm, when i had to fight in the 65-70 kg. category. I'm not too strong and i'm still a little bit fat, and the majority of the contestants in my category looked very strong although i was in the amateur (novel) category, but that didn't intimidate me.

When i had to fight, one of my si hing's told me to just give all of myself in the fight, so i did: i had to fight a strong fella but when the fight started i used low kicks to the legs, and side kicks to the head and side. In 10 seconds i had my oponnent out of the ring (3 outs meant winning in the rules). Westarted again and i kicked him out again. The third time i was just centimeters from kicking him out again, but he kicked me too strong in the leg and i couldn't even change my stance from the pain.

seconds later the fight ended (1:00 round) and 2 of the 3 judges gave him the victory (by points). :(

I'm proud of what i was capable of doin' to a stronger fella, and my Sifu congratulated me also.

Do you feel that i should happy with my effort considering that i fought a more experienced and stronger guy and almost won? My leg still hurts but i'm happy, and planning to build up my strenght for next year.

apoweyn
09-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Yep, I think you've got good reason to be pleased. Congratulations.

Oso
09-16-2003, 10:46 AM
yes, good job, just getting out there is great.
keep it up.

Ray Pina
09-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Very good! It takes courage to step into the ring. You've overcome the hardest part.

Two thing's I'd note: 6 months may be a little early to enter a tournament, even with Hsing-I. And kicking to the head (especially a side kick) is a little on the non-Hsing-I side. But don't worry about that. There's a million jerks out there who will say what should be done here or there. Keep up your training and best of luck to you.

fa_jing
09-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Que Chevere, Usted disfruto de la experiencia y aprendio algo, eso es lo mas importante. Tambien habla ingles como un profesional. Mas bien creo que Ud. es de aqui o tiene padres Norteamericanos. Good job and stick with it. There's nothing like competition as a motivating factor.

Shaolin-Do
09-16-2003, 11:07 AM
No escuchen a fa-jing. Esta estupido. :eek:
:D
Jeez... I really need to brush up on my spanish.

Who cares if you didnt win? At least you entered and tried hard. Keep up the good work.

Cachete
09-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Thank ya'll for the kind words, i really appreaciate that.

About the side kicks, is one of the most used kicks in te begineers categories, because we don't have enough stretching to perform good pushing side kicks (i dont know how to write the real name :$)or other kicks. In the beginers categories i dindt see much roundhouses, sweeps, neither good throwings...thats why it is "begineers" :D,also, punches to the face were prohibited this year (have been prohibited a lot of years actually here), and with only 1 minute on the round, i think everybody wants to be "effective" in scoring points, thats what i think.

Btw, like any sport, there are always BAD "BLIND" referees. In my fight they didnt count the two kicks that hit my private parts (they didn't hurt so i didn't complain, but at least i should have received points for that :mad:)

Originally posted by fa_jing
Que Chevere, Usted disfruto de la experiencia y aprendio algo, eso es lo mas importante. Tambien habla ingles como un profesional. Mas bien creo que Ud. es de aqui o tiene padres Norteamericanos. Good job and stick with it. There's nothing like competition as a motivating factor.

I'm from Lima and have always lived here, my english comes from PC games and school actually :D, thanks for your words too.

Merryprankster
09-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Very nicely done. Really getting out there and trying what you've learned will only help you identify weaknesses and how to fix them. Continue on and good luck!

Suntzu
09-16-2003, 12:49 PM
good job.... hit the iron... get stonger... losing sucks....

MasterKiller
09-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Losing only sucks the first few times. After you've lost 15 or 16 more, that little sting of pride will dissipate and you'll be OK. Pretty soon, you'll just be grateful that you didn't lose a tooth or get a black eye. Martial arts is great for making you grateful you didn't get a black eye.