PDA

View Full Version : VCD's have arrived!

Laughing Cow
09-16-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi All.

Just got my set of Chen Xiao Jia VCD by Chen Yong Fu.

So far have only managed to watch the 1st Road and must say that I am impressed with them.

The form is closer to what I learn than the one shown on the Fan Chun-Lei VCD.

It will take me some time to watch the whole series as the set containes quiet a few forms:
1st Road
2nd Road
108 Form
Forms Demo VCD
(First & Second Routines, Straight sword, Double Broadswords, Big Knife)
Double Broad sword
Kuan Dao
Straight Sword

All the VCD are instructional and in chinese only, but will make a good reference library for the people that study this style.

Vou can view/order them via Frank Shiery's or via Jarek's website.

jun_erh
09-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I have one of those. The only chen I'd seen before that was the competition form which really lacked soul I thought.

Laughing Cow
09-21-2003, 01:51 PM
I have never seen the competition form.
:(

I got tapes & VCD of Chen Xiao Wang, Chen Zheng Lei (1st & 2nd), Fan Chun Lei (1st), Chen Pei Shan (1st) and the Chen Yong Fu ones.

As you can see my collection is mostly Small Frame stuff.

I don't even know if anyone around here teaches the competition routine.

Cheers.

jun_erh
09-22-2003, 10:39 AM
I got it from kf magazine one of those clip and send offers. I'm not a chen expert or even a practicioner, the competition form struck me as rather workmanlike

wujimon
09-23-2003, 08:11 AM
if you'd like to see the chen 56 competition set, you can do so at the following link:

wushu central - chen 56 competition form (http://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/miscellaneous/library/taiji)

I'm not too fond of the set as I practice the laojia sets right now. I'm more fond of the biomechanics in the traditional sets as I think they're a bit different from those in the competition set.

Laughing Cow, I didn't know that CXW and CZL practiced xiaojia. I thought they were more dajia practitioners. The lineage I train is thru CXW and xiaojia of Chen Pei Shan looks much different from the laojia yilu that I am working on. Hmm.. perhaps I'll ask my teacher but I always thought there was a distinction between xiaojia and dajia.

anyhoo..
w.

Laughing Cow
09-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by wujimon
Laughing Cow, I didn't know that CXW and CZL practiced xiaojia. I thought they were more dajia practitioners. The lineage I train is thru CXW and xiaojia of Chen Pei Shan looks much different from the laojia yilu that I am working on. Hmm.. perhaps I'll ask my teacher but I always thought there was a distinction between xiaojia and dajia.

Yeah, you are right that they teach dajia, I got their VCD's mostly for reference and comparison purpose. ;)

AFAIK, most if not all the Chen family know both styles.

As you can see my collection is mostly Small Frame stuff.

I got 3 VCD's by CZL & CXW, and about 15 by the other 3 hence the above comment.

jun_erh
09-23-2003, 05:12 PM
I can think of many things I 'd rather do than watch the chen taiji division of a modern wushu comp. Why don't they just buld a robot?

Laughing Cow
09-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by wujimon
if you'd like to see the chen 56 competition set, you can do so at the following link:

wushu central - chen 56 competition form (http://www.wushucentral.com/videos/v.php/miscellaneous/library/taiji)

Thanks, for the link, added it to my collection.

I'm not too fond of the set as I practice the laojia sets right now. I'm more fond of the biomechanics in the traditional sets as I think they're a bit different from those in the competition set.

I think I understand what you are talking about, quiet different from the way we do the xiaojia sets too.

Cheers.