PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Do Tournament 9/20/03

themeecer
09-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Hey fellow SD KFOers! Just trying to get a head count of everyone attending the tournament this Saturday in Lexington, Ky. I hope we can all meet up and get a photo with GM Sin and hang out for a bit. Not sure how to go about this though. I have to worry about my students and will probably be judging as well, so a predetermined time to meet probably wouldn't work. Maybe we can post our pics on here or give a good discription of yourself or what you will be wearing and be on the lookout for each other.

I'll be wearing white pants and a black gi top. Mine should stand out because I have my name embroidered on the back in gold and red, in 6 inch tall characters. And oh yeah ... I'm good looking. Haha (now I know the flames will be coming)

I will also be staying for the seminar as well.

Shaolin-Do
09-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Cant afford plane ticket, cant miss 2 days of work for the bus ride. :(
(work would maybe let me if I begged, but I need $$ from those 2 days anyhoo.) :( :(

themeecer
09-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Ah man ... was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year then. This seminar is going to rock.

Shaolin-Do
09-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Was more interested in the tourney.. Really wanted to watch the masters spar.
Was looking forward to meeting everyone as well... Hopefully I can make a later tourney in that area sometime this year.

shaolinarab
09-16-2003, 09:53 PM
attending both the tournament and seminar! Shaolin-do, i feel you, as i barely am winging it from med school. i'm skipping two days, and i'm taking a greyhound back from lexington to new orleans (20 hours!).

a picture after the tournament or during a break would be great. :cool:

i'll be sporting the angel gi (all white), but look for the only Arab walking around :p

themeecer
09-16-2003, 09:55 PM
I'll get you a copy of the masters sparring on video.

Shaolin-Do
09-16-2003, 10:01 PM
That would be awesome. :)

Serpent
09-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by themeecer
I'll be wearing white pants and a black gi top. Mine should stand out because I have my name embroidered on the back in gold and red, in 6 inch tall characters.

Much of an ego there?

This thing should be televised - I'm sure it would draw a crowd. A bit like a Karate Special Olympics.

themeecer
09-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Ego because I was fortunate enough to find someone that would do the embroidery? Our older gis used to all have larger lettering on them till they adopted their current logo on the back. I still wear mine from before then and figured that would be the way to identify me. Besides it is in Chinese .. only a couple of people there will know what it means.

Fred Sanford
09-17-2003, 12:47 AM
This thing should be televised - I'm sure it would draw a crowd. A bit like a Karate Special Olympics.

LOL!!!!!!!!

Merryprankster
09-17-2003, 03:31 AM
Can non-Sd'ers compete?

BentMonk
09-17-2003, 03:57 AM
I'll be the only one in an all black gi that walks funny. I guess the Special Olympics might be interested after all. MP - No outside folks cannot compete. I don't agree with that. I really wish that they'd open the tournament up to anyone who wants to spar. Unfortunately, it's not my call. SD - Sorry you're not going to make it. I was hoping to meet ya. Maybe next time. Peace.

Dark Knight
09-17-2003, 04:24 AM
A closed tournament? Do you think its because the fighting secrets of Shaolin Do cannot be seen by outside people? Perhaps someone can video tape some matches so the world can see this incredible art.

BentMonk
09-17-2003, 05:00 AM
I knew there couldn't be an SD thread w/out somebody havin' to be a smart azz. LOL

Judge Pen
09-17-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Can non-Sd'ers compete?

Not in this tournament, but they can in Master Mullins' tournament. I've posted infromation on this before. It's November 1 in Johnson City, Tennessee.

I'll be at the tournament, but I'm not staying for the seminar. I'm taking my uniform in case I decide to compete or judge, but I'm mainly going to watch the Masters fight. I'm definately fighting in the November tournament, but don't really want to spend the money on two tournaments that close together.

I'll either be wearing blue jeans with a shirt that reads "Mullins Shaolin" or a uniform with black pants and a white top. It will have nothing on it. No embrodiery, no patches. Just plain.

SD, I'm sorry that you won't be there, but I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you.

JP

Shaolin-Do
09-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Hopefully Ill be able to make it to mullins tourney. Would rather fight an open tourney anyhoo. :)

"A bit like a Karate Special Olympics"
Deja Vu.
"Shaolin-Do tournament? What is that? Like the kung fu special olympics?"
-serpent

:eek:

:)

The Willow Sword
09-17-2003, 02:48 PM
are closed ones. i remember a story once that i was told by my former pre sd teacher. he said that in the mid 70's SD did try to prove itself by having open demonstrations and asking people if they wanted to challenge them. Well at the time one of SD's rivalries in kentucky was that of dr john winglock ng's school.(where my previous training stems from). anyway some of the students went to the demo and as i was told, the sd people got romped. soon after there were no more open venues.
whereas Sd has ALOT of stuff that they teach you they still will not have open tournaments because 1. they dont want to lose face if they get thier ass handed to them. 2. also and this is my speculation, that if they were confronted with thier lineage and authenticity issues there would be frustration and maybe even challenges to deal with. in the years i was there i had never really seen anyone go to other tournaments to compete. i know that i did at one time with a few(the aau tourneys) and a couple of others i can think of that went to so called :karate tourneys:
you have to wonder why there is so much isolation from the rest of the martial arts world with SD(and i think we all know why)
if a tournament be an exhibition of that said kwoons style and system then why not go to open tournaments and prove it to the rest of the MA community(if your goal is to compete)? haha but now i am remembering GM Sin The' and is comments about SD being too lethal for tournaments. Funnny though that in the midst of the grand words from GM Sin that they do in fact have large closed tournaments where it is mostly point sparring and the occasional continuous sparring. since most other open tourneys have this format, why not Have open tournaments that are SD sponsored?
TWS:cool:

shaolinarab
09-17-2003, 03:09 PM
willow!

haven't u read judgepen's posts on the open SD-sponsored tournament in November? i can understand one's frustration with not being able to compete in an open tournament with SDers, but can you respect the fact that most SDers outside of KY, TX, and TN are scattered across different states and the relatively few general SD tournaments (1 or 2 official annual ones and 2 smaller ones in TX) give us an opportunity to meet other practioners in our art as well as learn from each other?
No doubt that open tournaments would also make for some interesting lessons and exchange of ideas, and i think they will occur in due time, as has begun in johnson city with master mullins's open tournament.

i can only speak of my lonely self :( in new orleans. there aren't too many schools around here teaching kung fu. it would be great if we can have an open kung fu tournament and exhibition down here. in cities where there are numerous kung fu schools, including SD, are there open kung fu tournaments that SDers are invited too? I'd be the first to go if they weren't far away.

good luck with your training...

Radhnoti
09-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Willow, I've found several (supposedly...who knows since it was the internet) accounts of the fight I'm assuming you're referring to in your message. The stuff I've read indicates that things were fairly even with the "black-belt war" on the floor...with a few folks leaning towards it going to the SDers. Let me know if you want me to PM you a copy of what I've got. Just ignore me if that's not the incident to which you refer.

It turns out that I should be able to make the evening portion of the tournament (7PM-whenever), but I'll be with my wife and son...so my "mingling" time may be limited. :o

I've met Judge Pen, so he may be able to point me out. Bigger guy, very short haircut, dark brown hair. I'll be wearing a black shirt with "Silver Dragon Shaolin-do" written on the front (over a small silver decal) and I'd guess shorts (not TOO cold here yet). I'll just look for Judge Pen when I get the chance to hang out for a while...

BentMonk
09-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Rad - I've heard this story before too. The version I got was that the "black belt war" was over very quickily. Too quick to determine a clear winner either way. My source is a former SD student, but he hasn't practiced in years. He is a very forthright person, so I doubt his account was embelished to make SD look any better than it is. What cracks me up is that someone can't even post an SD thread trying to hook up w/folks they haven't met without getting flamed. Judge Penn has posted a million times about the open SD tourny coming up in Nov. I urge anyone on this board who has a totally negative view of SD to go compete. Win or lose, at least then you'd have a solid base upon which to form your oppinion. Peace.

Serpent
09-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Hopefully Ill be able to make it to mullins tourney. Would rather fight an open tourney anyhoo. :)

"A bit like a Karate Special Olympics"
Deja Vu.
"Shaolin-Do tournament? What is that? Like the kung fu special olympics?"
-serpent

:eek:
Some stoners remember some things.
:)

Wow, using the same gag twice. That's not like me. ;)

I'll think of something new for next time.

Mind you, it is the sort of thing that's worth saying twice.

Brad
09-17-2003, 08:00 PM
in cities where there are numerous kung fu schools, including SD, are there open kung fu tournaments that SDers are invited too? I'd be the first to go if they weren't far away.
There's a tournement in Canton, Ohio(up near Cleveland) that's open to all kungfu styles. Lots of divisions and kungfu schools going to be there. Shouldn't be too far of a drive for the Kentucky & Ohio SD people.

Brad
09-17-2003, 08:01 PM
It's in October

Vash
09-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Any SD tourneys gonna be in the south, anywhere near the ass-end of Arkansas?

Love to see what all the hubbub is about.

shaolinarab
09-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Vash,
the next one is in austin, TX in Feb. i think it may be equidistant from the both of us. ;)

ohio, on the other hand is out of my league, unless i move back to chicago in the future.

Vash
09-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Hell, yes. I'll talk to my sensei about that one. God willing, this ****ing rib;ll be 110% then. Be nice to at least watch.

Not big on sparring competitions anymore. Too many people get 'tudes.:mad: :( :confused: :eek:

shaolinarab
09-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Vash
Hell, yes. I'll talk to my sensei about that one. God willing, this ****ing rib;ll be 110% then. Be nice to at least watch.

Not big on sparring competitions anymore. Too many people get 'tudes.:mad: :( :confused: :eek:

like the one in your avatar :D
actually, u have a point there. that is one of the reasons why the tournaments are mostly closed-door...to avoid the 'let me prove my style is better than yours atmosphere.'

and to watch will definitely be exciting. i'm only going to actually physically participate in only a few minutes of it (forms and sparring), but it'll be nice to see all the forms done from different levels and the interesting personalities that each school imparts on its students.

hopefully your ribs will heal by then!

Vash
09-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Indeed!

In the closed tourney, non-SD stylists are permitted to watch, I trust.

Musicalkatachmp
09-18-2003, 06:37 AM
Good luck to everyone competing

MasterKiller
09-18-2003, 06:45 AM
in cities where there are numerous kung fu schools, including SD, are there open kung fu tournaments that SDers are invited too? I'd be the first to go if they weren't far away. I didn't see any SD'ers at Taiji Legacy or AAU, which are held in Arlington, TX every year. It shouldn't be too hard for one of the Texas SD schools to make an appearance at one of those tournaments. Hell, isn't there an Arlington SD school?

Actually, there was a guy in a black Gi with a grey belt at AAU, but he just watched and didn't compete, as far as I could tell.

Judge Pen
09-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Vash
Indeed!

In the closed tourney, non-SD stylists are permitted to watch, I trust.

Yes. The Lexington tourney has an evening demonstration and finals.

The tournament in JC doesn't allow videotaping of the demonstrations. I didn't agree with that policy before I came here and encountered the trolls. As far as I know, there are no limitations to taping at the Lexington tournament.

I would like to see more open tournaments and more participation in open tournaments. The Lexington tournament is supposed to be where all the SDer can get together and compare their skills.

Rad: Glad that you will be there. I should be in street clothes, but knowing me I'll get there and won't be able to resist fighting. ;)

norther practitioner
09-18-2003, 08:22 AM
There are a lot of cma tournies all over the country. A lot of them get national attendance..... We'll be at a few next year...
Orlando
Denver (If we get our act together we'll throw down up here)
Kansas
maybe Berkley
USCKF usually around Maryland I think

I'm thinking of going down to Cancun in January too...:D

Ralphie
09-18-2003, 08:49 AM
NP,
What tourney's do they have in Denver? What type of events are held?

norther practitioner
09-18-2003, 11:04 AM
We have local Karate tournies... plus we're thinking of throwing a cma tournie in the Spring, we are planning on looking at venues and prices this coming month...

Ralphie
09-18-2003, 11:36 AM
I went to the last CKA tourney in Denver, and competed in the grappling event. I'd be interested in a CMA event though, so when you have more info (including types of events), please post that here.
Thanks

norther practitioner
09-18-2003, 12:56 PM
You in Denver?

Sure no prob.. was planning on it :D ..

We'll prob. do tech. fighting, san shou, and forms... your standard affair..

I've competed in a few of the CKA tournies this year... will prob. go to the one next month.

Judge Pen
09-19-2003, 05:38 AM
Who will be there?

Me, Bent Monk, shaolinarab, themecer, radhnoti. . .

Anyone else?

Shaolin-Do
09-19-2003, 06:28 AM
:(

Brad
09-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Yes. The Lexington tourney has an evening demonstration and finals.

The tournament in JC doesn't allow videotaping of the demonstrations. I didn't agree with that policy before I came here and encountered the trolls.
Most of the CMA tournie's I've been to make you pay a fee for a video pass, or only allow video taping of the competition itself, then videotape the demos themselves and sell it as a seperate video.

Judge Pen
09-19-2003, 06:48 AM
That may be something that I can suggest to Master Mullins. The only problem that I see is that our final matches are mixed in with the evening demonstrations and its difficult to police a video taping policy with the number of people that attend the evening demonstration.

"Everyone please turn off you video cameras now." :)

Judge Pen
09-19-2003, 06:51 AM
The last two years it has been a mixed CMA and other MA tourney. Last year there were two divisions: CMA and other MA which was co-sponsered by a local karate instructor.

This year I've been told it is solely CMA. Wah Lum from Knoxville is supposed to be participating. Any CMA school that wants to attend can. Let me know if you want to attend and compete and I'll get you all the information as soon as I can so that you could make plans. I would love for some people that post here to attend.

Ground Dragon
09-19-2003, 08:05 AM
Good luck to all you SD folks, or at least have a good time if you're not competing.
Master Hiang has a tourney coming up on October 11th just as an fyi. It's a closed tourney also.
There's also a mma fight in Lexington on the same day and Carlson Gracie Jr & Sr will be special guests.
I'm pretty sure I'll be out of town so I'll be missing both though.

Judge Pen
09-19-2003, 08:08 AM
Have you thought about coming and watching the evening show this weekend? You have to be curious to see Master Leonard and the other Masters mix it up a bit.

Lao_Peng_You
09-19-2003, 08:10 AM
NP,
In the Boulder area.

Ground Dragon
09-19-2003, 08:12 AM
Actually, I did think about it. I do have tentative plans already for Sat night (Oktoberfest!) so I'm not sure I'd be available. But like I said, they are only tentative, I'll just have to see.
Would be great to see the masters though.

norther practitioner
09-19-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Lao_Peng_You
NP,
In the Boulder area.

Thats where my office is...

shoot me an email.

Shaolin-Do
09-19-2003, 08:19 AM
"I do have tentative plans already for Sat night (Oktoberfest!)"
Retama park.
cent
drinks. (domestic or import)
'nuff said.
:D

Ground Dragon
09-19-2003, 08:23 AM
The one here is put on by a local Catholic church. It's pretty small compared to others. But hey, the beer is cheap and it's only a block and a half from me.

Ralphie
09-19-2003, 08:30 AM
NP,
PM'd you with my info, didn't know your email.

Radhnoti
09-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Senior Master Leonard's wife told me that he changed his mind about entering the competition. Speculation is that he's the only one who'd have the authority, short of GM Sin, to wade in and throw Master's off each other if things get "hot".
It's a shame, him sparring was the major reason I REALLY wanted to go.
'Course, he may reverse his decision again I suppose...

greendragon
09-19-2003, 04:16 PM
"masters fight" ????? doesn't sound right.

Starchaser107
09-19-2003, 04:22 PM
good luck to all at the tournament , hope all goes well.
bless.

Radhnoti
09-20-2003, 10:58 AM
Just wild speculation on my part GD...they have "continuous sparring" (not point stuff, straight fighting for so many minutes) and sometimes it takes an objective observer to see that someone is stunned.
Makes sense to me anyway, but what do I know... :)

Shaolin-Do
09-20-2003, 11:19 AM
Let us know how things went :)
Good luck to all those competing.

themeecer
09-21-2003, 07:07 PM
The tournament and seminar was amazing. I mey a few guys from here and another board I post on. I can hardly move. I will give more details about it after I have had a nice hot bath and a full night's sleep.