PDA

View Full Version : Training Injury : Punched in the Larynx (Adam's Apple)

WCFighter
06-05-2001, 10:44 PM
Anyone ever get hit here while sparring?

My friend and I were sparring last Saturday, with a mouthpiece and some gloves as protection, like we always do, but this time I got hit pretty hard in the larynx; twice (on separate occasions).

I could breathe through it fine, but my voice has
been raspy since then. It hurts less now, 4 days later, but my voice hasn't changed back.

I will try to go see a doctor soon, but should I
really have anything to worry about?

Just curious!

"Kick his ass, Sea-Bass!" - Dumb and Dumber

joedoe
06-06-2001, 06:29 AM
Ouch. If you can breathe OK I wouldn't think that there is too much to worry about. See what your doctor says.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Stranger
06-06-2001, 07:05 AM
If you can, go to the doctor.

"Luminous beings are we."

The Willow Sword
06-06-2001, 11:27 AM
A throat punch is a dangerous, very dangerous, place to be hit. what are the boundary requirements when you spar? if there is none then i suggest that you get some. plus this kind of sparring makes me a bit mad. getting hit in sparring is a reality,,,but tell your "friend" to either pull his punches to the throat or get ready for the REAL thing. i am sorry that you got hurt there. any alternative medicine doctors in your area,,a licensed acupuncturist/herbalist will know how to heal the damage and for less money and will be more effective.
Many respects,,willow sword

WCFighter
06-06-2001, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I will see a doctor this weekend.

F.Y.I.

In the morning, it seems I have a build-up of
phlegm in my voicebox, not throat, which makes,
my voice deep and raspy.

In the evening, my voicebox seems to
clear , although my original voice
hadn't fully come back.

joedoe
06-07-2001, 07:36 AM
Willow Sword,

Be very careful when making claims like that. I support alternative medicines fully - they have helped me more than modern medicine has in my health problems - but to make claims like "they are more effective" and to advise against seeing a western doctor is not only dangerous but also irresponsible.

The Willow Sword
06-07-2001, 08:41 AM
Hey Aussie man,,didnt say anything to discourage him from going to a western doctor. i just said that the alternative way is more effective,,,in my humble opinion when you need your arm sewed back on you go to a western doctor,,,for injuries such as bruising or sprains(MINOR) as in our young friend there can waste less money and get better results.
put down the foster's and read what i posted. :rolleyes:

joedoe
06-07-2001, 10:59 AM
Fosters sucks :)

I still think an injury to the throat should be looked at by a conventional practitioner first. If it turns out that the injury is not serious (like a potential collapse or loss of voice or something) then proceed with alternative therapies. I just think that an injury to the throat is a little on the serious side and should be checked out properly first.

Vankuen
06-07-2001, 08:02 PM
Ive never really been hit there, but I once kicked someone in the throat, and it didnt look good for him. Unfortunately it was my dad, we were actually playing around and he moved in when I was only going to kick in front of his face, and when he realized what was going to happen tried to lean back, and well, exposed his throat. oops. Well he wasnt feeling too good for a few days like yourself now. But he could breathe fine, and eventually just got over it. Any damage, real damage to that area will usually cause more then simple discomfort, however, Im no doctor, so you really should get checked out by a western doc first, to see if theres any mechanical problems with the area. You could supplement that as well going to an eastern doc to see about treating the chi flow and get an overall diagnosis of your yin and yang balance. (as corny as that sounds huh?) See the way I see it, western medicine treats the body as soley a machine of flesh and blood, whereas easter medicine treats the body as energy, a whole unit consisting of many parts, in which all areas must be treated, not soley the mechanical aspects.

To be honest, I think you'll be fine. If it worries you, simply go get checked by a doctor of your choice. No one on here can really give you a right answer, including myself.

Good luck sparring in the future! Dont block with your throat! :D

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

The Willow Sword
06-09-2001, 05:41 AM
Yeah i guess you are right. if there is damage that could be hidden at this point and then be aggravated it could lead to "something" if tthe larynx was crushed then a western doctor would be the way to go...in this case though,despite what i have stated it still looks to be a minor injury.
but an x-ray wouldnt hurt. i just think western docs charge too much to patch up minor injuries. are YOU a western doctor? abandit the AUSSIE DOCTOR,,,,,OUII!! saoww mate? ya gat punched in ya throat eh? ya breathin steel? well
ya gonna leeve. thatll be 200 pounds pleeze!
hah hah just kidding with ya,,couldnt resist. :p ;)

WCFighter
06-10-2001, 03:10 PM
My throat is much better now.

It took a week, but I can swallow normally now,
and my voice is back to 99% .

If my voice is not back to 100% by the end of
this week, then I will go see a doctor.

Not smart, I know, but I am a little lazy
for setting up appointments to go see a doctor.

Thanks for all your support.

Now when I keep my chin down during sparring,
which I usually do, I will know that this will protect my nose and mouth, as well as my throat.

:D

joedoe
06-11-2001, 03:36 AM
No problems. :) I am not a western doctor, and I actually whole heartedly support alternative medicine. I guess I forget that medical care is not free everywhere (we get free medical care here). The first thing I do is get it checked out my a doctor, then if it isn't a serious condition I see an alternative therapist.

Glad to hear everything has turned out OK though.