PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Daoism

RAF
09-18-2003, 07:05 AM
Daoism in Historical Context

http://www.cctv.com/lm/176/71/88862.html

In 143, that is, 400 years after the completion of the Dujiangyan Weirs, a centenarian traveled a long distance to the foot of the Mount Qingcheng southwest of the weirs. In the quiet environment there, the elderly man began his reflections. There he created Taoism, the only religion by the Chinese.

This elderly man, who is believed to have ascended to heaven and become immortal, was named Zhang Ling, the founder of Taoism.

Later on, Taoism spread from here to all other parts of China. Many Taoist structures can be found on the Mount Qingcheng where Zhang Ling had cultivated himself in Taoism. The structures were adapted to the natural environment and overlapped each other in an orderly way.

The structures are full of paintings and relief decorations to reflect the Taoist idea in favor of quietude and inaction, good health and longevity.

In the Tianshi Cave where Zhang Ling cultivated himself hangs a taiji symbol that shows Taoism advocates the integration of man and nature. Zhang Ling disseminated quickly in Sichuan Lao Zi's thinking on the love for nature. As the birthplace of Taoism, the Mount Qingcheng is visited by endless streams of scholars and other Taoist followers. It has become the holy mountain for these followers. Taoism stresses the importance of self-cultivation for prolonged life. In search of elixir of life, Taoist priests often burnt medicinal herbs in order to make pills of immortality. In the middle of the 8th century, a Taoist priest named Qing Xuzi used sulfur, charcoal and niter as fuel when he tried to make those pills. He had an accidental explosion. This explosion made the Chinese invent gunpowder over 1,000 years earlier than Westerners.

Vapour
09-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Well, mythological origin of Daoism is probably appropriate than Historical origin. Anyway, thanks. I never bothere to seek this information so it was informative.

count
09-18-2003, 07:52 AM
Maybe a "Pandora's Box" but for further research check out This Site. (http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm) Warning, Don't go here if you don't have some time to spend.:D

RAF
09-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys!

I usually get up early and run through a couple of my favorite sites. Since our cable system doesn't provide CCTV 9, I read it and watch some of the clips. The historical clips are fascinating and Count, in Documentary, I believe, there is a set of 6 writings about an American writer who was in Xi'an at the time of Jiang Jieshi and Zhang Zhoulin (I believe that Liu was also there during that time although its not part of the articles).

This kind of reading helps me to get a perspective on the culture and history of China helps put the martial arts in a more balanced perspective.

On the one hand, there are those who completely divorce Chinese martial arts completely from its historical/philosophical context and almost deny any link to things like the Yi Jing, Daoism, Wu Xing etc. etc.. IMHO they miss a great deal in understanding what they practice because that is foundation upon which the Chinese saw and experienced their world and developed their ideas about martial arts, fighting included.

This focus is too narrow for my likes and it lacks a real appreciation of the art and its development.

On the other hand, there are those that completely drown the art in the Yi Jing, Daoism Wu Xing and try to make it appear as though it had some special unique mystical relationship to these philosophies when indeed everyday life, even amongst the illiterate, was grounded in the Yi Jing, Daoism. It was the way everyone experienced their world and so it would naturally be the way that they understood their martial arts. You know, like the debates about proving the existence of qi. Doesn't matter if it exists or doesn't--its the way the art is described and practiced.

You don't have to run off to Wudang Shan and try to mystify the art because the philolosphy/culture was the everyday experience of the Chinese in every area and region. Like are fish aware of the water they hang out in!

You don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water and yet you also don't want to drown the baby in the bath water.

Anyway enough for the ranting.

Martial arts aside, bottom-line is that China and its culture is just fascinating.

I am also certain that my children-to-be will be caught between two cultures (half Chinese, and half American) and its kind of an obligation to learn as much as possible about China and help teach the kids. We are already collecting the Sagwa cat series on PBS and hell, the cats in the cartoons even play taiji. Now someone's gotta to teach the kids that taiji is more than a cat in a cartoon!

See you soon Count and Vapour, if you get a 10 minute break here and there, checkout some the stuff on CCTV 9. They have come a long way!

Adios, amigos, recuerdos a todos! My horse is waiting: horse stance that is!

RAF
09-18-2003, 08:53 AM
Count, you're dangerous!!!

I peeked in the site you posted--man, I still gotta go to work. You want to get me fired? I still gotta work out! You want Tony to punch me?

Thanks a million, great site!:)

count
09-18-2003, 09:15 AM
That site goes DEEP into many subject. Open with caution!
:D :D :D

BaldMonk
09-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Count,

You are the Devil. I'm gonna lose my job over that site u posted. Good stuff, TOO good. There should be a warning label.

BaldM

count
09-19-2003, 11:11 AM
I clearly put 2 warnings on it. LOL :D Check out if you can find some of the writings of Lacouperie. It's most interesting stuff. Again, for everyone else. Only go to this site (http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm) if you have a huge amount of time on your hands. :p

_William_
09-21-2003, 05:27 PM
I always thought Daoism's roots were in shamanism, hence all the different deities and such.

:confused: