PDA

View Full Version : Books recommendations...?

neigung
09-19-2003, 03:38 AM
Mods - please, please don't delete or move!! This is the kiss of death for all threads and I want to get some books today.

Ok, I'm looking for some new books to read. Stuff along the lines of Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series/Phillip Pullmans His Dark Materials series/Robin Hobbs Farseer Trilogy & Tawny Man series.
Any suggestions?

Chang Style Novice
09-19-2003, 07:27 AM
My favorite sf/fantasy (although his stuff is more properly fantastic historical fiction) author is Tim Powers. I especially highly recommend "The Stress of Her Regard" "The Anubis Gates" and "Last Call" although "Declare" (his most recent) is also pretty good.

neigung
09-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Thanks, man. I'll have to check him out tonight.
Have you read any of the books I've listed, CSN?
Anyone else have recommendations?

MasterKiller
09-19-2003, 10:43 AM
"The Day of the Locust," by Nathaniel West. One of my all-time favorites.

"The Sun Also Rises," by Ernest Hemingway. The book that made me want to write a book.

"Tropic of Cancer," by Henry Miller. Herny Miller....that's all you need to know.

"Lolita," by Vladimir Nabokov. Every American should read this novel.

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," by Hunter S. Thompson. Funny as hell.

and

"On the Road," by Jack Kerouac. The consumate American novel written by a French Canadian.

Some of my favorites, but probably not your style.

turbo76
09-19-2003, 01:29 PM
:)

Shaolin-Do
09-19-2003, 01:32 PM
""Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," by Hunter S. Thompson. Funny as hell."

Yessir it is. Much better than the movie IMO.

Ford Prefect
09-19-2003, 01:42 PM
If you liked Jordan's WOT, then absolutely without a doubt start the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR Martin. The first three books are out and are: Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, and Sea of Swords.

I finally bit the bullet and started this series after numerous recommendations and I burned through all 3 books in 3 weeks. They are great. 10x better than Wheel of Time.

MasterKiller
09-19-2003, 01:49 PM
Yessir it is. Much better than the movie IMO. The movie was almost line for line from the book. It was the cleanest film interpretation I've ever seen, next to Leaving Las Vegas, which is almost 100% true to the book, even in dialouge.

Chang Style Novice
09-19-2003, 01:55 PM
No, I haven't read those, Neigung, but I do recognize the authors. Following MK's lead, books that almost anyone ought to look at (non-sf/f) include

Herman Melville's Moby-**** or The Whale

Thomas Pynchon's V., Gravity's Rainbow, and The Crying of Lot 49

Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian

Richard Powers' Gold Bug Variations, Prisoner's Dilemma, and Three Farmers on the Way to a Dance

Chang Style Novice
09-19-2003, 01:56 PM
And yeah, "F&LiLV" the movie is such a xerox of the book that even the slow, not-so-good parts are the same.

norther practitioner
09-19-2003, 02:10 PM
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Just read that again... love it, even if it is written fairly simply.

I'd also recommend The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston.

I haven't read too much lately...:D

CaptinPickAxe
09-19-2003, 02:18 PM
one of my favorite books is "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse. Its not science fiction, but a still classic

neigung
09-19-2003, 02:33 PM
I think I'm going to buy everything recommended here.
I've read Fear & Loathing... and it's a great book and great movie. I own it.
Thanks for the rec's everyone!
I highly suggest the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman to anyone who's a fan of fantasy, sci-fi and interested in theology. VERY cool story line. The websites about the books have a ton of spoilers, just to let you know.

Radhnoti
09-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Let me second Ford's recommendation. It's the best fantasy series I've ever read.
I've changed my mind about my favorite character about 10 times...sometimes in THAT series you HAVE to do so. Major characters are NOT "safe" in Martin's world. It's a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

jun_erh
09-21-2003, 11:02 AM
I can't remember the author but I really liked Chang and Eng, about the siamese twins (even a little freaky hung gar in there!)

and The three arched bridge by Ismael Khadare. about the contraversial construction of a bridge in Albania circa 1300's. Not as dry as it sounds.

Radhnoti
09-21-2003, 12:04 PM
Just to pull this thread O(n) T(opic)...
Have you considered Romance of Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West or Outlaws of the Marsh (Water Margin)?

It's fiction set in "ancient" China...fantastic characters doing amazing things, epic storylines...it's fantasy (mostly) AND cultural immersion! ;)

Go Here For More Info (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/7119005901/threekingdoms-20/002-8977522-9843215)

neigung
09-21-2003, 02:16 PM
I've been wanting to read those, but have yet to find them anywhere. I wound up getting "Motherless Brooklyn" by Jonathan Lethem. GREAT book so far, and I'm almost done with it.

WALKS INTO

Context is everything. Dress me up and see. I'm a carnival barker, an auctioneer, a downtown performance artist, a speaker in tongues, a senator drunk on filibuster. I've got Tourette's. My mouth won't quit, although mostly I whisper or subvocalize like I'm reading aloud, my Adam's apple bobbing, jaw muscle beating like a miniature heart under my cheek, the noise suppressed, the words escaping silently, mere ghosts of themselves, husks empty of breath and tone. (If I were a D ick Tracy villain, I'd have to be Mumbles.) In this diminished form the words rush out of the cornucopia of my brain to course over the surface of the world, tickling reality like fingers on piano keys. Caressing, nudging. They're an invisible army on a peacekeeping mission, a peaceable horde. They mean no harm, they placate, interpret, massage. Everywhere they're smoothing down imperfections, putting hairs in place, putting ducks in a row, replacing divots. Counting and polishing the silver. Patting old ladies gently on the behind, eliciting a giggle. Only - here's the rub - when they find too much perfection, when the surface is already buffed smooth, the ducks already orderly, the old ladies complacent, then my little army rebels, breaks into the stores. Reality needs a p rick here and there, the carpet needs a flaw. My words begin plucking at threads nervously, seeking purchase, a weak point, a vulnerable ear. That's when it comes, the urge to shout in the church, the nursery, the crowded movie house. It's an itch at first. Inconsequential. But that itch is soon a torrent behind a straining dam. Noah's flood. That itch is my whole life. Here it comes now. Cover your ears. Build an ark.
"Eat me!" I scream.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0375724834/103-3150839-0407821?v=glance

Chang Style Novice
09-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Been meaning to read some Lethem, also some Eggers. After three tries, I've about had it with DeLillo, though.

As soon as I'm done re-reading V., I do believe I'll see if The Corrections is as good as Oprah says. Since it was a gift and everything.

joedoe
09-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Radhnoti
Let me second Ford's recommendation. It's the best fantasy series I've ever read.
I've changed my mind about my favorite character about 10 times...sometimes in THAT series you HAVE to do so. Major characters are NOT "safe" in Martin's world. It's a breath of fresh air in my opinion.

Let me third that. Excellent series and Rad is 100% correct - no characters are safe. Absolutely sh!ts on The Wheel of Time (well, TWoT was good up until about book 6, then it started to suck).

I also love Raymond E. Feists books - all of them, but especially the original Magician trilogy.

Radhnoti
09-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Speaking of series dragging on...which I wholeheartedly agree Jordan has (holding the fantasy world hostage, writing so well at first then dragging it on)...a series in a similar vein is by Terry Goodkind. The series starts with Wizard's First Rule... it's called The Sword of Truth series. If you like Jordan, you may like Goodkind, he's Jordan-esque or Jordan-lite. ;)

Oldies but goodies include Zelazny's Amber Chronicles, and Moor****'s Elric saga...I was dragged into the WHOLE eternal champion "mega-series/saga", but would only recommend Elric.

Edit: Grrr....that M O O R C O C K. Micheal Moorco<k.

joedoe
09-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Well, if you want to talk about the classics how can you go past Eddings' Belgariad? :)

kwaichang kaned
09-23-2003, 04:18 AM
The Memory, sorrow and thorn series: tad williams
The Thomas Covenant chronicles: stephen Donaldson

More to come....

MasterKiller
09-23-2003, 06:38 AM
Been meaning to read some Lethem, also some Eggers. After three tries, I've about had it with DeLillo, though. White Noise is one of my favorties. What DeLillo are you reading?

one of my favorite books is "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse. Its not science fiction, but a still classicWord.

norther practitioner
09-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Don't know how it is spelled, but do any of you read any wu xia? I'm looking to get a couple books, and I figured I'd give some martial fantasy a try.

Ford Prefect
09-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Radhnoti is 100% correct.

Character's are never safe in Martin's books. There were a few times I was honestly shocked about how things went down. It really is a breath of fresh air and makes for very enjoyable and suspensful reading.

I also agree with Jordan and Goodkind dragging things on and bringing down what could have been great fantasy series. Jordan's last few books have been rediculously thin and Goodkind's books are rediculous in that they are so predictable on what the major plotline will be (Richard and Kahlan are seperated and Richard must save the world and get kahlan back - blah dee dah) and how things just always fall into place at the end.

neigung
09-23-2003, 01:45 PM
These are some cool recommendations. I'll let you guys know what I pick up this weekend.
I really dig Feist's Magician series, as well as the Serpent War and the ones about the demon invasion (I can't recall the series name off the top of my head...).

Vash
09-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Old but good: "Inferno." Lerry Niven and Jerry Purnell (sp?)
Put hell in a modern area, or something. Good read.