PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Wing Chun in WNY

Kaith Rustaz
09-19-2003, 06:06 PM
Hello,
I'm looking for a school or instructor in the Western New York area, preferably within 30 mins of Buffalo NY. So far, the closest school I've found is in Rochester.

Thank you!

kj
09-19-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
Hello,
I'm looking for a school or instructor in the Western New York area, preferably within 30 mins of Buffalo NY. So far, the closest school I've found is in Rochester.

Thank you!

Wing Chun is notoriously challenging to come by in the Buffalo area.

Our group is in Rochester. We currently have someone who travels in regularly from Buffalo to train, and some other members who practice at a distance in between visits. We would welcome your visit and invite you to check out a class sometime if interested to learn more about our group and practice methods.

More info is posted at http://www.rochesterwingchun.com. Feel free to email us at rochesterwingchun@yahoo.com any time.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

akalish
09-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Kaith,

As Kathy Jo said, there are few schools west of Rochester (none that I know of) unless you go all the way into Pennsylvania. I was unsure from your post as to whether you were ruling out Rochester or not. If you are unfamiliar with wing chun in the Rochester area, most schools/instructors tend to have historical ties to the Yip Man lineage through Sifu Steve Lee Swift. I know there are some of his students who still live here but do not teach formally (some can be reached privately). As you will see on their website, Kathy Jo and Mark Stoddard (2 fine upstanding people IMHO) are now students of Sifu Ken Chung (Leung Sheung / Yip Man lineage) and run a formal club here in Rochester.

I am fortunate to be a Hung Fa Yi wing chun disciple under Sifu Benny Meng / Sifu Garrett Gee and am currently leading a branch club of the Ving Tsun Museum here in Rochester. We offer Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. Information about Hung Fa Yi and the VTM is available at www.hungfayi.com and www.vtmuseum.org. Sifu Meng will be in Rochester on Saturday, September 27th to give a workshop on Hung Fa Yi wing chun. If you are interested in attending in order to find out more, please let me know.

I live on the west side of Rochester (Brockport, NY to be specific) but am still roughly an hour from Buffalo. If you would like to inquire about training with us, please feel free to email me at akalish1@rochester.rr.com.

Andy Kalish
VTM Club of Rochester

kj
09-21-2003, 06:40 AM
Kaith, ditto what Andy wrote.

Our respect for Andy and his group is deep and mutual. Andy and his group are a super bunch, and very down-to-earth. Our groups indeed enjoy a shared history which reaches back and beyond our present affiliations.

While our versions and approaches to Wing Chun will naturally differ, we share a great deal in common with respect to perspectives, values, work ethic, etc. You would do well to check out either or both of our groups, in my humble if somewhat biased opinion.

Our current member from Buffalo drives out every Saturday and occasionally for a weeknight class, confirming that it is indeed about an hour, and claiming it to be a rather enjoyable ride. Inquiries from Buffalo and surrounding areas continue to be on the increase, so car pooling may be an option at some point. You might even find some folks nearby to practice with in between visits to our area. Just offering some ideas in hopes of minimizing obstacles, and viewing the trek to Rochester or elsewhere in a more palatable light.

Both Andy and I travel long distances to learn and work with our own teachers and sihingdai. Thus I think it fair to say that we both appreciate the degree to which value can offset other inconveniences. I would likewise encourage you to seek quality instruction and a training environment suited to your personal needs and tastes, irrespective of distance.

Best wishes in your search.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Kaith Rustaz
09-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Thank you both for the invites and info. :)

At this moment, its a bit far for me to travel (mostly due to unreliable vehicle that drinks gas like it was free), but I used to do a monthly run to Rochester a while back. (The Borders has more geek stuff than the one in Buffalo. :) )

I've been interested in the art since I got a small taste about a year and a half ago, but have since lost touch with that instructor. I'm trying to figure out the differences by lineage as until recently I was under the assumption that all came from Yip Man.

Again, thank you. I'll be in touch shortly. :)