PDA

View Full Version : What is KFO?

WanderingMonk
09-20-2003, 07:17 AM
For the old timers,

Okay, I think someone explained this one before but I can't remember how the explanation went nor can I find it with a search.

So, why do people refer to this forum as KFO when it is Kungfu magazine's forum? What does KFO stand for? Kungfuonline?

wm

Chang Style Novice
09-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Yes, these forums used to belong to a site called Kungfuonline. At some point before I got here they were transferred to Kungfu Qigong Magazine, however, the link from kungfuonline still worked. About a month ago, kungfuonline started their own forums (there's apparently a lot of crossover between the two.)

Stranger
09-20-2003, 08:12 AM
What is KFO?

A social experiment gone terribly wrong. :eek:

Volcano Admim
09-20-2003, 08:15 AM
indeed

Kristoffer
09-20-2003, 09:29 AM
kfo sounds better than kfm

SanSoo Student
09-21-2003, 12:50 AM
The kungfuonline forum has ugly colors.

rubthebuddha
09-21-2003, 01:06 AM
and kfo doesn't have banners of guys holding heavy, metal rings with their meat and two veg.

Royal Dragon
09-21-2003, 08:44 AM
When I started here, eon's ago, in 1969 according to my profile This Forum belonged to Kung Fu online. Then, the poweres than be SOLD us to Kung Fu Magazine (Can you believe that??)

So, in protest, and as testament to our history and the great Ancestors (and all that gobblty guk), I and many of the other Old timmers, still refer to this forum as KFO.

Now, If Kung Fu Online has a NEW forum, thay can just Kiss off, because they SOLD us before, so I'm not going back, I'm just going to stay right here where I am.

:D :p

Kristoffer
09-21-2003, 10:05 AM
#hen I started here, eon's ago, in 1969 according to my profile This Forum belonged to Kung Fu online. Then, the poweres than be SOLD us to Kung Fu Magazine (Can you believe that??)

So, in protest, and as testament to our history and the great Ancestors (and all that gobblty guk), I and many of the other Old timmers, still refer to this forum as KFO.

Now, If Kung Fu Online has a NEW forum, thay can just Kiss off, because they SOLD us before, so I'm not going back, I'm just going to stay right here where I am.#

This is true

IronFist
09-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Wow, I just checked and they do have their own forum. wtf happened, I thought THIS was KFO so whenever I saw someone with 1 post I'd be like "welcome to kfo." I guess I should say "kfm" now.

So, wtf? kfo sold the forums to kfm? wtf did that happen for? The kfo link used to take us to these forums. Is kfo it's own site now? wtf (when) did that happen? wtf is going on?

Hmm...

wtf count = 5

IronFist
09-21-2003, 10:55 AM
^ wtf is not "World Taekwondo Federation"

Shaolin-Do
09-21-2003, 11:04 AM
wheres the frankfurters?

Kristoffer
09-21-2003, 11:37 AM
wtf

Starchaser107
09-21-2003, 11:51 AM
western trade federation.

yeah i actually got lost in the madness i used to come here via www.kungfuonline.com

and then they made the transition, all of a sudden it was a whole new look and it said they were restructuring and stuff.

i thought that was abrupt, and wondered why we didnt get any warning.
weeks later when thier forum was actually working i noticed somebody talking about the changeover and linking to
www.kungfumagazine.com

grr:mad:

Shaolin-Do
09-21-2003, 11:55 AM
I just type http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/index.php

Royal Dragon
09-21-2003, 12:24 PM
I had KFO book marked back in the day, and went to the forums from there, but after the "Sale" to KFM, I bookmarked the Forums directly.

So yeah, maybe it's about time us oldtimmers started refering to our beloved forum by it's new name (KFM). I mean, it's been KFM for a few years now...............right?

Kristoffer
09-21-2003, 02:26 PM
NEVER

Chang Style Novice
09-21-2003, 08:23 PM
I think technically that would be KFQGM...

...playing a solid 98.5 minutes of classic rock hits! Less talk, more rock, on KFQGM!

Continuing our British Invasion weekend, that was Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" followed by the Who's "Substitute", the Hollies' "King Midas in Reverse"...

Black Jack
09-21-2003, 09:04 PM
KFO is one big circle jerk.

Free Fraggle Rock.

Serpent
09-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack
KFO is one big circle jerk.

Free Fraggle Rock.

Is that why you keep coming back?

MasterKiller
09-23-2003, 08:13 AM
KFO is a magical place,
where lots of people gather.
It's filled to the brim with masters galore
though I'm not sure when they find time to practice!

Need some martial arts info? A history lesson?
Why, you've come to the right cyber-place.
Post all your questions, sit back, and relax,
HINT: The answers are hidden in the flames.

The advice you'll get is the truest around.
Everyone here knows kung fu!
Even those people who really don't know
really believe that they do!

For you see....

Everyone here knows exactly why you suck
and why you're kung fu isn't real.
And they freely offer advice to you
but don't ask them to reveal themselves!

This can be a good place to discuss valid topics,
and learn from one another's experience.
More often than not, though, kung fu talk
turns to sex, religion, and politics.

But just like in kung fu, you have to keep looking,
The real value is many layers deep.
Keep looking and lurking,and maybe someday
you'll find the knowledge you seek.

Of course, knowledge is secondary to most of us here.
Most posts occur before 5 o'clock.
For every member knows the real reason KFO exists
is to keep us entertained at our jobs!

norther practitioner
09-23-2003, 09:04 AM
For every member knows the real reason KFO existsis to keep us entertained at our jobs!

Um, jobs, you guys have jobs...lol

Yeah, it ties over the process time real well for me.

GeneChing
09-23-2003, 09:42 AM
...and you wonder why Chinese martial arts history is so confused. :rolleyes:

This forum was originally founded by Steve Creel on his website Kungfuonline. Steve is a professional webmaster and a martial artist. KFO was his labor of love and a place where he could beta test some of his programs. This forum grew and grew until it got too big for Steve to handle - remember we pay rent here to store all this data. KFO was not a commerce site, nor did it have much content beyond what Steve could generate in his spare time. In short, the had created a monster - this forum - and it was now costing him a pretty penny to keep it running. So he donated it to us. We had just started our online presence by publishing exclusive articles - stuff we weren't publishing in the print magazine (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/mag.html) and of course, we had our commerce at www.martialartsmart.com. The forum wasn't sold, unless you consider taking over the rent as selling. It was transferred.

Steve still helps us out with some of the programming for our site. He's pretty busy with his real world job, but we exchange emails every week or so. He does a lot of web stuff that you wouldn't even notice since it's all admin stuff. We really appreciate his contribution to our team.

norther practitioner
09-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the history lesson Gene....:D

Starchaser107
09-23-2003, 10:04 AM
yeah thanks for setting ther record straight

SifuAbel
09-23-2003, 07:41 PM
KFO=Kentukey Fried Oranges

SifuAbel
09-23-2003, 07:42 PM
"The forum wasn't sold, unless you consider taking over the rent as selling. It was transferred. "

Ha! tell that one to the RIAA.

GeneChing
09-24-2003, 10:19 AM
... but if we didn't take over the rent, this forum would be done years ago.

Shaolin-Do
09-24-2003, 10:24 AM
<--- will monopolize kfm and make it his own empire of onlineness!
BAHAHAha.. ha... ha....
ha..
:D

Kristoffer
09-24-2003, 10:26 AM
:rolleyes:

rogue
09-24-2003, 07:56 PM
KFO used to be where the guys from Mousels would come to earn their troll wings. While trolling Sam did his cyber dim mak on them. They collapsed and we went into politics and mixed martial arts. Are those CyberKwoon Pansies still around?:p

I just checked out the "new" KFO site. Man that's some scary looking guys, especially that old drunk homeless guy with the linolium knife. :eek:

I do think they need a few more close up pictures of guys doing verticle punches in front of their faces. :D

diego
09-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
kfo sounds better than kfm

word kfm sounds like that old dance song

KFM GONNA ROCK YOU.........KLF ORSOMESHIAT

You remember that song?.:)

Serpent
09-24-2003, 09:16 PM
British band - KLF.

Last Train To Transcentral and stuff like that, Chill Out, The White Room, etc.. You know, as a stunt, that band burned one million pounds. Seriously!

Baztards!

:)

Starchaser107
09-24-2003, 09:20 PM
:mad:

they could have just donated it or something..
what arses.

ppl work like slaves to get by and these people burn money.

flipping the bird.

Serpent
09-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
:mad:

they could have just donated it or something..
what arses.

ppl work like slaves to get by and these people burn money.

flipping the bird.

I hear ya. But it was "art" and "statement". Raised quite a furore, obviously.

Chang Style Novice
09-24-2003, 09:34 PM
And I'd bet, dollars do donuts, a hoax. To quote the Sex Pistols "Ever feel like you've been cheated?"

Serpent
09-24-2003, 09:38 PM
No, it was real and documented. I'll see if I can track down some more info.

Serpent
09-24-2003, 09:40 PM
Well, there's this (http://mailman.xmission.com/pipermail/klf/2002-February/000370.html) and this (http://www.illitrate.co.uk/klf/FAQ/faq4006.html) for starters.

:)

Chang Style Novice
09-24-2003, 09:46 PM
No doubt, if it was real it was a pretty great conceptual art stunt. But I couldn't help but notice that it was documented on a poor quality video tape and documented by their own cronies. I'm guessing a numbered swiss bank account figures into the story somehow.

Serpent
09-24-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
No doubt, if it was real it was a pretty great conceptual art stunt. But I couldn't help but notice that it was documented on a poor quality video tape and documented by their own cronies. I'm guessing a numbered swiss bank account figures into the story somehow.

You are such a cynic! What about the notes that were found on the beach? Do a web search - there's loads of info. about it. If you can disprove it I'd be interested.

joedoe
09-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Isn't there a law in Britain about defacing currency? I know if you did that here you would cop a fine if not a gaol term.

Chang Style Novice
09-24-2003, 10:07 PM
"You are such a cynic!"

Guilty as charged!

"What about the notes that were found on the beach?"

Seems likely they could've burned some and made off with the rest - the article mentions they were given more than a million in the grant.

"Do a web search - there's loads of info. about it. If you can disprove it I'd be interested."

I may well look into it, since it sounds like an interesting performance piece no matter it was whether genuine or staged. But not tonight, it's bedtime.

Serpent
09-24-2003, 10:20 PM
CSN - Good on ya, let me know what you discover.

joedoe - there is the same thing in the UK too. I remember that being part of the stunt. *shrug* Can't remember the details - this was all a long time ago!

Chang Style Novice
09-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Still here (I'm such a liar, although I really do need to hit the sack soon.)

Burning money is a fairly old art stunt. Yves Klien once threw the money he was paid (in gold coins) for piece that consisted of an empty space into the Siene, in one famous variation. I don't know of anyone that's done it on such a scale as the KLF are alleged to have done, though, and given what facts are available to me right now, I see easy ways that the KLF could have had their cake and eaten it too.

That's all I'm sayin'.

Starchaser107
09-24-2003, 10:35 PM
i'm still bitter cause i dont have any of it.
defacing money here is also a crime.

Serpent
09-24-2003, 10:44 PM
CSN - it's not like it was their only mill. That was half the point - they had heaps of cash from their music, art, etc. ventures.

Serpent
09-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
i'm still bitter cause i dont have any of it.

Me too, bro. Me too.

Chang Style Novice
09-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I get that, No-legs. Funny how people who make dramatic points about the illusory value of money always seem to have plenty of it, eh?

Serpent
09-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Yeah, I get that, No-legs. Funny how people who make dramatic points about the illusory value of money always seem to have plenty of it, eh?

Yeah. If they only had a mill I'd be impressed. Oh well.