PDA

View Full Version : To massage or not to massage?

Oso
09-20-2003, 08:03 PM
I'm going to be in a tournament in 2 weeks. The US Jujitsu Nationals. So, some stand up and some grappling.

I've been somewhat plagued with very sore hams and some 'almost' pulls. A trainer at the gym suggested I might get a good deep massage and that I might have a 'knot' in my hams that is causing the issues.

My concern, which is quite possibley invalid, is that it might loosen me up to much.

If I get one, at what point in the next 2 weeks should I get one?

What do you guys think?

Ford Prefect
09-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Two words for you: Active Release

http://www.activerelease.com

SanSoo Student
09-23-2003, 06:51 AM
A massage will definitely help you if those muscles are overworked...:D

Oso
09-23-2003, 10:45 AM
Ford, sounds cool but when I look for 'providers' they all seem to be chiropractors. This sets off alarms with me as I have not met a chiro yet that didn't want to milk you for all you were worth.

Is this the same thing as myofascial (sp?) release?

thanks

rubthebuddha
09-23-2003, 11:07 AM
get yourself rolfed. :)

Oso
09-23-2003, 11:21 AM
HEY, I'm not into that bestiality stuff !!!

besides, I don't like pain and I heard rolfing HURTS.

I was looking through the yellow pages and discovered that they have both "Massage Therapy" and a "Massages" listing. It's a real toss up between the the sports med clinic and the Far East Health Spa :D

Ford Prefect
09-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Nope. Active release deals in working three areas of the body. Spine, Upper extremities, and lower extremeties. Chiropractors were the first to catch on because it allowed them to add to their normal spine adjustments. After the success many had with the techniques and the buzz that was stirring, many decided to learn the other two areas.

I had a bum knee (that I mentioned on here quite a bit) that a physical therapist and masseuse couldn't do anything for. I went to a few sports doctors and they wanted further review for surgery. Caught the buzz on this from some power lifters and professional sports trainers, so I figured I'd give it a try. After only 1 session, my knee feels a lot better and I've been able to go back to squatting big for the first time in a while. Not only that, but I've been able to add a lot of intense drills to my regimen that would have aggrivated my knee to the point of causing me to be inactive for weeks before.

Oso
09-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Ok. Thanks. I'll definitely look into it.

rubthebuddha
09-23-2003, 02:22 PM
I'm going to be in a tournament in 2 weeks. The US Jujitsu Nationals. So, some stand up and some grappling. followed by

besides, I don't like pain am i the only one that see a contrast here?

:D

Oso
09-23-2003, 02:27 PM
getting endorphins and adrenaline pumping while on a massage table is counter-productive.;)

a good massage is like sex...a little pain goes a long way...

rubthebuddha
09-23-2003, 02:34 PM
the implication with that is that it's followed up with:

"... and a lot of pain makes you a deviant."

could be right, but as long as no bones are broken, what's the harm? :p

method man
09-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Oso
HEY, I'm not into that bestiality stuff !!!

besides, I don't like pain and I heard rolfing HURTS.

I was looking through the yellow pages and discovered that they have both "Massage Therapy" and a "Massages" listing. It's a real toss up between the the sports med clinic and the Far East Health Spa :D

u don like pain then forget TORNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all deep masag hurt ROLF MYOFASC AR don be baby maybe u like injure better????????

Oso
09-23-2003, 04:34 PM
rub, it's the eternal question of the feather or the whole chicken.:p

method, uhh, joke man.

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 04:53 AM
BTW, I wouldn't get your first massage or active release session this close to your tournament. You never know how your body will react to it, so it's better left until after when you'll have time to recover.

Oso
09-24-2003, 06:11 AM
yea, that's what I figured.

I think I'm just going to get a kinda of general massage this weekend, 7 days before the event and then look into this ARTafter. My shoulders are crap and I have a hip issue I want to get looked at soon. Surpisingly my knees are still ok. (knock on wood)

I talked to a guy in town here who said that they did some 'cutting edge' type stuff. I'm gonna go by the clinic and talk to him some more.

The closest provider listed on the site is about an hour away. :(
That kinda turns into a half day thing if I go there.

thanks again.

yu shan
09-25-2003, 03:26 PM
fwiw, rolfing is a good technique, adjusts the body to gravity. I would not recommend this approach to a Martial Artist. My body reacts very well to neuromuscular massage, deep but not as deep as rolfing. I would not worry about a massage two weeks out from this tourny. Only good results will come from your massage, unless she does the rumba on your back with high heels! ;) Always have positive energy/attitude with your massage...it`s all good.

Your body DOES need some attention! Oso, you are a very busy man. Listen to your body and take care of it.

I`m going to look into activerelease, sounds good, except the chiro part, I`m with you on this one Oso.

You might be understretching and then you could be over stretching... "hams".

short term pain leads to long term gains, jmo.

Oso
09-25-2003, 03:51 PM
probably understretching.:(

Not going to be able to squeeze the massage in afterall. Wanted to do it either tomorrow or Saturday but havn't found anyone I liked with an open time slot.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:30 AM
Massages help for muscular development as well. :)
Wish I got more massages... Need to find some less lazy broads. Need to find some givers instead of all these d@mn takers.
:eek:

Oso
09-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Girlfriend massages are nice but unless she is a trained massage therapist then it's not really theraputic.

ok, true story:

when I first moved here I was working at a resort

http://www.groveparkinn.com/spa/spa_tour.php

check out the spa links. I worked on the pools and whirlpools there. They had a full service spa w/ all kinds of massage treatments: swedish, myofascal, stones you name it. They had a staff of 30 or 40 massage therapists.

well, I got to be friends with the lead therapist and one day she walks up to me and asks if she could borrow my body...of course I said yes. She had 2 new therapists she was training for deep tissue and needed a body. So, for two hours I had 3 therapists working on me at once. when they got done, I literally could not move and had to take 5 minutes or so to get up off the table.

just amazing

yu shan
09-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Massages do cost a bit. I`m down to only participating when I`m hurt. Then it is only for 30 min. direct to the area injured. An hour just costs too much. Don`t forget to drink your water!

Oso, I live vicariously thru you, nice story!