PDA

View Full Version : 8th Hung Fa Yi Public Workshop, AZ

Savi
09-21-2003, 08:56 AM
Greetings all, the following outlines the next upcoming HFY seminar in Chandler, AZ:

The main topic for this workshop is the relationship of Chan and Hung Fa Yi wing chun kung fu in terms of time, space, and energy.

Date & Location:
Meng's Martial Arts of Arizona
3029 N. Alma School Rd. Suite 218
Chandler, AZ 85224

Saturday, 11 October 2003 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sunday, 12 October 2003 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

$100 for Members and $150 for Non-Members
(prior to)
$125 for Members and $180 for Non-Members
(at the door)

For more information contact:
Chandler, AZ 85224
(480) 820-2428 – phone
(480) 820-0222 – fax
www.mengsofaz.com
sifu@mengsofaz.com

akalish
09-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Savi,

It may be worth adding that the Workshop will be presented by Sifu Gee. Since it seems that so many people have so many questions about Hung Fa Yi, this represents a great chance to get information directly from him.

I am looking forward to seeing you all out there in sunny Chandler (my plane ticket is all set!). Especially since Rochester in The Fall/Winter months is best when viewed from AZ (maybe that is just my age talking...) Best wishes until then.

ajk

Mckind13
09-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi!

Since I have been to a HFY seminar led by G.Gee let me toss my two cents in.

The Kiu Sou seminar I attended was informative if not redundant to the point that a large percent of the information offered the first night was also presented the second and third day. I realize that it was a beginners level seminar and may have been planned that way.

To compliment G.Gee and his students at the Ohio school, all were friendly, open and gracious hosts. I expect if you go to the seminar you will meet many dedicated friendly students.

My one criticism is prompted due to Akalish's comment " It may be worth adding that the Workshop will be presented by Sifu Gee. Since it seems that so many people have so many questions about Hung Fa Yi, this represents a great chance to get information directly from him."

In my experience with G. Gee, Benny, **** and their many students, they would not very from the curriculum when questions were asked.

Many times I would ask a question trying to understand or clarify a point and the response was usually "That is not Kiu Sao."

While not a major problem, it seemed that the seminar I attended did not gear itself towards people trying to get a broader picture of the art. Nor did it seemed exceptionally well suited for the non-initiated. I did enjoy myself and it was a good exhibition of Kiu Sou but little more was offered, even when requested.

Thanks and good luck with your seminar.

David

Savi
09-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Mckind13
The Kiu Sou seminar I attended was informative if not redundant to the point that a large percent of the information offered the first night was also presented the second and third day. I realize that it was a beginners level seminar and may have been planned that way. David Yes, it was most certainly structured for beginners, but also what is most common in all the seminars I have attended is a review of the previous day. It serves as a good refresher for all who start the day off with kung fu.

To compliment G.Gee and his students at the Ohio school, all were friendly, open and gracious hosts. I expect if you go to the seminar you will meet many dedicated friendly students. David Thanks for the positive feedback here.

My one criticism is prompted due to Akalish's comment ...

In my experience with G. Gee, Benny, **** and their many students, they would not very from the curriculum when questions were asked. David Although I do not recall this issue you may have experienced, most often times staying focused on the material at hand would be most appropriate. Also, this may have only been your perception and should not serve as a testimonial for all of the guests who attended.

Many times I would ask a question trying to understand or clarify a point and the response was usually "That is not Kiu Sao." David Thinking back, I do remember this from the November seminar you attended at the VTM, and the point you did not mention is that there was a following explanation for those questions. Whether or not you comprehended the explanation I think you should have addressed further at the seminar.

While not a major problem, it seemed that the seminar I attended did not gear itself towards people trying to get a broader picture of the art. Nor did it seemed exceptionally well suited for the non-initiated. I did enjoy myself and it was a good exhibition of Kiu Sou but little more was offered, even when requested. David In contrast to your response here, I have read many testimonials from the guests of that seminar and there were many new people who loved and learned a lot about the seminar. I can see where you are coming from with your dissatisfaction, yet you have to think about this: Although GM Gee can give you as much information on Kiu Sau as he knows - you may not be ready to understand what he tells you...

I think that your post was excellent, and the feedback is definitely appreciated, but keep in mind for you it was just a "fau Kiu" (first/wandering) level of experience. No one should expect a beginner in anything to understand something to the "T" off the bat. One of the main teaching methods about HFY is this, in a nut shell: "The Mind knows, the Body understands." This is only part of the balance, but as a "beginner" in a seminar David, frustrations and misunderstandings are natural.

Zhuge Liang
09-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the informative review. Given that we have something in common (we're both curious about HFY and we're both non-members), I figure you could help me with a question. Was the seminar strict to the planned schedule or was it more free form? Or both? Did you have an opportunity to experiement (e.g. free style touching hands) or was it strictly limited to drills and whatever was on the curriculum at the time? Or was it both? To what proportion?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Alan

Mckind13
09-21-2003, 09:18 PM
It is strictly held to a schedule.

In fact once a break is called people seem to evaporate and then reappear after the meal is over.

There is very little hanging about and training.

Or at least I was not invited: P

David

canglong
09-21-2003, 10:05 PM
originally posted by McKind13
To compliment G.Gee and his students at the Ohio school, all were friendly, open and gracious hosts. I expect if you go to the seminar you will meet many dedicated friendly students.
originally posted by McKind13
In my experience with G. Gee, Benny, **** and their many students, they would not very from the curriculum when questions were asked.
Many times I would ask a question trying to understand or clarify a point and the response was usually "That is not Kiu Sao."
Firstly, David you need to decide if the HFY family is "open and gracious" or this tightly knit group secretly keeping things close to the vest while pretending to hold public seminars. Presently you sound mixed up confused and off center. Secondly, there is only one person presently holding Public seminars on HFY and veiling your little critisicm of him in front of the name of my Sigung and "many students" isn't serving your cause any good. If you don't know who is running the seminar you attend or who to direct your questions to I suggest you reread Andy's post and stop blaming others for your inablity to take advantage of a golden opportunity. When you attend a seminar on kiu sau expect to learn about kiu sau not chi sau its called staying focused. Lastly, if you consider your post complimentary thanks but no thanks in the future just keep your compliments to yourself. Attending one HFY seminar doesn't make you an expert on the inner workings of HFY report what you learned and how it applies to your wing chun all the editorializing you can save for the San Diego Tribune.

CHS
09-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Canglong said:

.. Lastly, if you consider your post complimentary thanks but no thanks in the future just keep your compliments to yourself...

Here we go again... a wonderful discussion is fast turning into personal attacks!!!

Canglong, relax dude!

CHS

Mckind13
09-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Hello Tony.

(Tony) Firstly, David you need to decide if the HFY family is "open and gracious" or this tightly knit group secretly keeping things close to the vest while pretending to hold public seminars. Presently you sound mixed up confused and off center.

(David) You sound angry Tony. I felt everyone was open and nice and very helpful when I needed a ride to the airport. They did not deviate from the Kiu Sou message and that, in my opinion made it a little tough to make an understandable reference to my knowledge of the Yip Man system. I feel I could have gotten a little more out of the seminar if the focus had been a little different. But it was a perty good seminar none the less.

(Tony) Secondly, there is only one person presently holding Public seminars on HFY and veiling your little criticism of him in front of the name of my Sigung and "many students" isn't serving your cause any good.

(David) Your right Tony. G.Gee gave an outstanding seminar that was very informative and to the point of the topic. I really enjoyed the seminar and his teaching method, different as it may be from my Sifu’s. I will refrain from also trying to pay compliments to your teachers and fellow students for making the experience enjoyable.

(Tony) If you don't know who is running the seminar you attend or who to direct your questions to I suggest you reread Andy's post and stop blaming others for your inability to take advantage of a golden opportunity.

(David) I believe Benny and Rich were hosting/running the seminar and G.Gee was presenting. I directed my questions to all three at various points throughout the seminar.

(Tony) When you attend a seminar on kiu sau expect to learn about kiu sau not chi sau its called staying focused.

(David) Thanks again Tony. The seminar was very focused on Kiu Sou. So focused that it left me with many questions as to how it fit into the HFY Chi Sou and Combat methods. Granted I know very little about these but I was trying to ask intelligent questions.

(Tony) Lastly, if you consider your post complimentary thanks but no thanks in the future just keep your compliments to yourself.

(David) I appreciate your input Tony but I cannot abide. I was attempting to give realistic input into my experience regarding the seminar and so I gave good points and bad points. That is what a review is and I would expect the same from you if you came to a seminar hosted by my Sifu or myself.

(Tony) Attending one HFY seminar doesn't make you an expert on the inner workings of HFY report what you learned and how it applies to your wing chun all the editorializing you can save for the San Diego Tribune.

(David) I would never claim to be an expert in something I am not, nor do I plan on attempting to master HFY any time soon. I will voice my opinion though any time I see fit, much like your training brothers do. Since you know the name of the news paper here in San Diego, does that mean you will visit me soon? Let me know and I will try and find a place for you to stay. With a student or in a cheap hotel. You and all your HFY brothers are always welcome.

Zhuge Liang
09-21-2003, 10:47 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. But I have one more question. Did you get a chance to freely work out with anyone at any point during the seminar? For example, free-form touching hands? I don't mean sparring, of course. Just the equivilent to our chi sau or gor sau.

Thanks again,
Alan

Train
09-22-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi Alan,

What i'm saying is not to be sarcastic or trying to start anything with anyone, but it seems like you are asking questions to the wrong person about the seminar :) I mean, if you read in past posts, Mckind13 always had some kinda negative response on the HFY people IMO. You know about the situation with his Sifu Robert Chu and the HFY people? well anyways, :) If you are really interested, why don't you just check it out yourself? Even, and i bet you know, that your group(Ken Chung) already have tention on the interenet with the HFY people.
For example, free-form touching hands? I don't mean sparring, of course. Just the equivilent to our chi sau or gor sau.
You think it's going to be friendly chi sau or gor sau? So have you been to Sifu Chan's school and chi sau with them? my friend told me you guys have some beef with them. Just wondering, since you sound like you want to touch hands with every school. Ohhh yeah in some schools, they consider that a form of challenge, if your from a different lineage. Don't get offended though becuase that's what i'm getting outa your response.

Peace Outy

Zhuge Liang
09-22-2003, 01:24 AM
Hi Train,

Thanks for the advice. A couple of notes...

What i'm saying is not to be sarcastic or trying to start anything with anyone, but it seems like you are asking questions to the wrong person about the seminar :)

Actually, as I noted to McKind13, we have some things in common. 1) we're both curious about HFY, and 2) we're not members. So I wanted to get his particular perspective and opinions. I've already read many of the seminar reviews provided by HFY members on the vt museum website. While they are detailed and informative, I also wanted the perspective from someone "on the outside." You know, for balance.

I mean, if you read in past posts, Mckind13 always had some kinda negative response on the HFY people IMO. You know about the situation with his Sifu Robert Chu and the HFY people? well anyways, :)

I was not aware of any relations between McKind13 and HFY except that he attended a seminar. And if it's all the same to you, I'd rather not get into inter-style gossip.

If you are really interested, why don't you just check it out yourself?

Well, that's precisely why I'm gathering the info.

Even, and i bet you know, that your group(Ken Chung) already have tention on the interenet with the HFY people.

I don't think it would be accurate to say our group as a whole has ill relations with HFY. When I visited the HFY kwoon, I felt like I got along with everyone very well. Kathy Jo and Andy also seem to have a very good relationship. And as far as I know, most people from my school don't even know the vast majority of the good folk at the HFY kwoon. And vice versa. There may be some bad blood between certain individuals, but it would be a pity if we allow that to spoil our community as a whole.

You think it's going to be friendly chi sau or gor sau?

Why not? I've had friendly work-outs with people from Leung Ting's line, Lo Man Kam's line, Ho Kam Ming's, Eddie Chong's, and even Chris Chan's. Every single hand I touched was attached to a friendly person with whom I was on good terms with. And I think that most people who have met me can attest to me being an easy going, friendly, and courteuous individual. So given that, why shouldn't I expect things to be friendly?

So have you been to Sifu Chan's school and chi sau with them? my friend told me you guys have some beef with them.

Actually, I have. It was a couple years ago and before I was aware of the internet politics. The people I met there were friendly and courteous to me as well. I even got to work out with a guy. And we parted on good terms. Also, not so long ago this year, we had a social gathering of many bay area wing chun groups. I believe two or three people from Chan sifu's group attended as well. I even worked out with one. Everyone seemed to get along fine.

As to the alleged "beefs," as I've said before, I'm not going to get into that. But I would like ask a rhetorical question. Is it really that there are "beefs" between the bay area wing chun groups, or is it that the "beefs" are with certain individuals?

Just wondering, since you sound like you want to touch hands with every school.

Yeah, pretty much...

Ohhh yeah in some schools, they consider that a form of challenge, if your from a different lineage. Don't get offended though becuase that's what i'm getting outa your response.

I'm not offended at all, but thanks Train, for the warning. I'm aware that some schools may take it as a challenge, which is why I make great efforts to not make it appear as a challenge. It's really not my intention at all to see if my wing chun is better than someone else's. There will always be someone out there who is better than me. Personally, my goal is to improve my own wing chun, and part of doing that is to experiement with different hands. It's not whether I "win" or "lose" that is important. It's that I learn something from the interchange.

Regards,
Alan

reneritchie
09-22-2003, 11:02 AM
I've gone to a bunch of different seminars on a bunch of different topics from a bunch of different people. They, obviously, vary greatly. Some have been organized to the last detail, run on a stopwatch, and there was no room for any variation or deviation. Others verged on the ill-prepared and utterly disogranized. Personally, I like the model that has a well-defined block of material over the major portion, them some time for q&a, then some time for free application.

You can usually tell in advance what kind of seminar you will be going to, and decide accordingly. If its someone like the VTM, who make organization and structure a priority, on HFY, which seems to be very exacting as well, I don't think you can go to a seminar expecting anything other than a very tight ship being run.

People are as people are, if you go in knowing what to expect, you will enjoy. If you go in wanting something different (for example, if you ask for a Cirque-de-Soleil-like acrobatics demo from Gee sifu), you will likely be disappointed.

Good luck to all presenting and attending,

canglong
09-22-2003, 06:29 PM
"(David) You sound angry Tony."
David you don't fully comprehend yourself (your own words say as much) how could you possibly know me.

(David)"They did not deviate from the Kiu Sou message and that, in my opinion made it a little tough to make an understandable reference to my knowledge of the Yip Man system. I feel I could have gotten a little more out of the seminar if the focus had been a little different."

It's pretty simple David it was a seminar on HFY Kiu sau not Yip Man, not chi sau and not a private lesson focused on those areas that you need to get "a little more out of"!

(David) "Your right Tony. G.Gee gave an outstanding seminar that was very informative and to the point of the topic. I really enjoyed the seminar and his teaching method, different as it may be from my Sifu’s."

That was all you really had to say not sure what Rob has to do with it but anyway, you add misleadingly...

(David)"In my experience with G. Gee, Benny, **** and their many students, they would not very from the curriculum when questions were asked."

Meaning once again you were asking off topic questions about chi sau at a kiu sau seminar, nor is there anything inherently wrong with a strict adherence to the as advertised cirriculum.

(David)"Many times I would ask a question trying to understand or clarify a point and the response was usually "That is not Kiu Sao."

Here David, I think you are being misleading on a public forum because what you neglect to say is that when a HFY member is discussing kiu sau and a non hfy member brings up chi sau it will most often times sound as if the non HFY person doesn't grasp the concept of kiu sau and is mistaking chi sau for kiu sua to which the normal response would most certainly be "that is not kiu sau it's chi sau and we are discussing a kiu sau time frame." This is not a slant on you by any means because I doubt that many people could fully grasp all the complexities of HFY kiu sau in one weekend seminar.

(David)"The seminar was very focused on Kiu Sou. So focused that it left me with many questions as to how it fit into the HFY Chi Sou and Combat methods. Granted I know very little about these but I was trying to ask intelligent questions. "

For future reference the intelligent thing to do would be to remain focused on the topic at hand. No one said your questions weren't intelligent just that they were off topic. Don't go to a lemonade stand and ask questions regarding orange juice then try and paint the lemonade stand owner as anything other than a lemonade stand owner.

(David)"I was attempting to give realistic input into my experience regarding the seminar and so I gave good points and bad points. That is what a review is and I would expect the same from you if you came to a seminar hosted by my Sifu or myself. "

Had someone asked for a non HFY member to post a review I could understand your overwhelming need to post a review but as it stands you posted before the question was asked. Trying to share an experience is like trying find a word that rhymes with orange it's pointless. That experience was that experience this experience will be this experience and it will be new and exciting to each and all as it happens in that moment. Partake and enjoy for after the moment is gone you will never see it again.

(David)"Since you know the name of the news paper here in San Diego, does that mean you will visit me soon? Let me know and I will try and find a place for you to stay. With a student or in a cheap hotel. You and all your HFY brothers are always welcome."

David does this mean you won't be coming to critique the Arizona seminar. You and Rob are always welcome to visit our kwoon as well and forget a cheap hotel I am sure my fine brothers and sisters that you speak so highly of would never allow that. Different lineages means nothing but a removed cousin to HFY members we are all family and family always provides for one another.

Missing a HFY seminar is like reading a book with the last chapter missing, no one wants to do that.

Mckind13
09-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Tony, while I am sure I could use many eloquent words to describe the callow nature of your post I will stay with my initial assertion that you seem angry. If the depth of understanding and comprehension still requires us to bicker, lets take it off line.

(Tony) It's pretty simple David it was a seminar on HFY Kiu sau not Yip Man, not chi sau and not a private lesson focused on those areas that you need to get "a little more out of"!

(David) You have a knack for the obvious Tony. What I meant to say then was it was not presented in a manner that was clear to someone with a Yip Man background and since it was a public seminar I had hoped for more.

(Tony) Here David, I think you are being misleading on a public forum because what you neglect to say is that when a HFY member is discussing kiu sau and a non hfy member brings up chi sau it will most often times sound as if the non HFY person doesn't grasp the concept of kiu sau and is mistaking chi sau for kiu sua to which the normal response would most certainly be "that is not kiu sau it's chi sau and we are discussing a kiu sau time frame." This is not a slant on you by any means because I doubt that many people could fully grasp all the complexities of HFY kiu sau in one weekend seminar.

(David) Again Tony right on. But since the boundaries of Kiu Sou, Chi Sou and combat ranges were not clarified and this was a public seminar, I could only ask questions as I understood the material being presented.

(Tony) Had someone asked for a non HFY member to post a review I could understand your overwhelming need to post a review but as it stands you posted before the question was asked.

(David) PUBLIC FORUM!!!!

(Tony) Trying to share an experience is like trying find a word that rhymes with orange it's pointless.

(David) Are you saying that no one should share their experiences on this forum or only HFY people can properly express HFY? BTW, I have a word that rhymes with orange and if the device it is the namesake of gets patented then that rhyming word may be on its way into the Oxford-English Dictionary!

(Tony) That experience was that experience this experience will be this experience and it will be new and exciting to each and all as it happens in that moment. Partake and enjoy for after the moment is gone you will never see it again.

(David) Glad to hear it.

(Tony) David does this mean you won't be coming to critique the Arizona seminar.

(David) Sorry Tony, I will not be making this one. Have fun I am sure it will be good. I would defiantly suggest that those that can afford the cost of the seminar to take it. It is always beneficial to train with other people.

Cheers
David

Rolling_Hand
09-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Train

What i'm saying is not to be sarcastic or trying to start anything with anyone, but it seems like you are asking questions to the wrong person about the seminar I mean, if you read in past posts, Mckind13 always had some kinda negative response on the HFY people IMO. You know about the situation with his Sifu Robert Chu and the HFY people? well anyways, If you are really interested, why don't you just check it out yourself? Even, and i bet you know, that your group(Ken Chung) already have tention on the interenet with the HFY people.

---------------------------------------

Hi Train,

You made a good point. I must say you played fair and square!

canglong
09-23-2003, 12:25 PM
David,
You are more than welcome to send me a private message any time you so desire.

(David) "Again Tony right on. But since the boundaries of Kiu Sou, Chi Sou and combat ranges were not clarified and this was a public seminar, I could only ask questions as I understood the material being presented."

The actual range for kiu sau is by the very nature of its position on the arm defining the range and time frame of combat. Kiu sau is a bridge of the forearm and chi sau is a bridge of the striking point (wrist) this is one of the first things discussed at the seminar to illustrate the difference between kiu sau and chi sau. We even did a little drilling to point this out. These things may not be as fresh in your mind since the seminar was a year ago but I have continued to drill them where you may not have.

(David) "What I meant to say then was it was not presented in a manner that was clear to someone with a Yip Man background and since it was a public seminar I had hoped for more. "

When you mean one thing and say another it will tend to lend itself to some confusion. This next seminar topic of Cha'n and Hung Fa Yi taking place at our kwoon in Az is October 11th and 12th no need to hope for more when all you have to do is receive more when offered to you.

When a HFY seminar is on the horizon how could anyone be anything other than felicitous.

Peace,

reneritchie
09-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Train,

Your post is an indication of just how far some WCK people have failed to evolve. Luckily, many aren't like that, including those in the VTM in my experience.

People who are confident in themselves and their abilities do not generally cause any problems.

Roll happy and safe.

John Weiland
09-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Zhuge Liang
Also, not so long ago this year, we had a social gathering of many bay area wing chun groups. I believe two or three people from Chan sifu's group attended as well. I even worked out with one. Everyone seemed to get along fine.

FWIW, yes, three of Chris' skilled and friendly students came and enjoyed the day in April which had been preceded by months of build-up here on KFO.

The ego free event (well, we axed 10 bucks to cover food and beverages), which someone else suggested and I organized, was actually inspired as a way to let the HFY contingent show themselves as part of Wing Chun society since so many had never heard of them or seen them.

Too bad that while 50 folks from all over and more than ten lineages came to participate, no HFY parties came. No-show Roger Rollinghand was specifically invited as was Hendrik Santo who came and showed us what a remarkable individual he is. Attendees included folks from all over California and as far away as New York and Boston, not to mention AZ represented by the forum's esteemed senior member, Joy Chaudhuri.

How the HFY contingent can imagine they have any credibility and continue to post after missing such a convenient and open opportunity to show their stuff and debate theory bemuses me.

Regards,

Chango
09-23-2003, 04:14 PM
You really should read your own post and think them through.

<Snip> How the HFY contingent can imagine they have any credibility and continue to post after missing such a convenient and open opportunity to show their stuff and debate theory bemuses me.

You somehow feel that HFY members owe you something or are seeking your approval? Are you implying that if a lineage did not show up to your event they do not gain "credibility"? in your eyes? does this seem a bit arrogant to you? LOL! Have you contacted anyone to find out why there was not HFY members present? If I recall there was an event aready schedualed but I'm sure you think the world revolved around your gathering!
Please before you go on any further you really should take a step back and look at how you sound before you make such statements. The HFY family has nothing to prove we present our information and feel delighted to help others understand. Anything outside of that does not interest most of us. I can only hope that you find out more and change your (seemingly aready made up) mind on HFY. If not I can only contend that you do not have enough information to make such judgments our HFY'S credibility or other wise. I wish you and yours and others well.

Chango (SGS)

Train
09-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Your post is an indication of just how far some WCK people have failed to evolve. Luckily, many aren't like that, including those in the VTM in my experience.

People who are confident in themselves and their abilities do not generally cause any problems.

Roll happy and safe.

What the hell!!!! Who the **** are you to say that to me!!!!! I said some people! did i mention any lineages? I just said SOME schools will take it the wrong way!!! Did i say YM, HFY, YKS, ect......... NO!!! NO lineages!!! I was saying some WC guys out there (becuase WC is a fighting art) would take it as a challenge. Especially if you were in a different linage.
See, You don't even know me Rene so stop thinking your the Sh!t on WC becuase your not!!! I don't get ****ed really easily..... But whatever.... I'll remember your comments in the future... see ya around

I'm out......

Rolling_Hand
09-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Chango

don't speak to soon!

You really should read your own post and think them through.

<Snip> How the HFY contingent can imagine they have any credibility and continue to post after missing such a convenient and open opportunity to show their stuff and debate theory bemuses me.

You somehow feel that HFY members owe you something or are seeking your approval? Are you implying that if a lineage did not show up to your event they do not gain "credibility"? in your eyes? does this seem a bit arrogant to you? LOL!

----------------------------------------------

Hi Sifu Chango,

LOL! this John Weiland is something else. We should review everything we've heard, because he has been fed a lot of misinformation. A mistaken impression could cost.

kj
09-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by John Weiland

FWIW, yes, three of Chris' skilled and friendly students came and enjoyed the day in April which had been preceded by months of build-up here on KFO.

The ego free event (well, we axed 10 bucks to cover food and beverages), which someone else suggested and I organized, was actually inspired as a way to let the HFY contingent show themselves as part of Wing Chun society since so many had never heard of them or seen them.

Too bad that while 50 folks from all over and more than ten lineages came to participate, no HFY parties came. No-show Roger Rollinghand was specifically invited as was Hendrik Santo who came and showed us what a remarkable individual he is. Attendees included folks from all over California and as far away as New York and Boston, not to mention AZ represented by the forum's esteemed senior member, Joy Chaudhuri.

I concur that everything you wrote here is true.

On behalf of Roger, I would like to offer that in his communications with me, he did indeed consider coming. Circumstances, however, did not work out for him to attend. I maintain hope that there will be another opportunity.

How the HFY contingent can imagine they have any credibility and continue to post after missing such a convenient and open opportunity to show their stuff and debate theory bemuses me.

A few thoughts, (offered in general and not only to you) both in the spirit of objectivity, and in hopes that no one need feel overly defensive because of the phrasing or interpretation of this comment.

Just as some of our own group members, and many members of other groups did not attend, there are an unlimited number of possible and legitimate reasons why no Hung Fa Yi people happened to be in attendance. Since we cannot read the minds and hearts of everyone, let alone access to their personal schedules and things-to-do-lists, we would be on shaky ground in making assumptions or implications as to why.
If I may make the analogy of inviting guests to my home, I would not like to question them or their motives for declining. Moreover, I would not wish for them to perceive as if being somehow punished for their regrets. Especially so, if my invitation was a warm and sincere one, and such that I would wish for another opportunity of their company in the future.
I can only imagine that people who train in Hung Fa Yi prefer to be considered as individuals every bit as much as you or I do, rather than have real or imagined transgressions of others pinned on them. If my brother commits a felony, call me self centered, but for danged sure I don't want to hang for it.
I have some good friends and associates who happen to practice Hung Fa Yi. Some of them are my neighbors (in a relative sense at least), my co-workers, and have even been my Wing Chun training partners. When I label them, I label them first and foremost by their names, not by affiliations with political parties, companies present or past, or even the flavor of their Wing Chun.

As for clichés that spring to mind ...

Perceptions, whether accurate or not, are reality. At least in terms of how people respond to them. If people think we have ill intentions toward them for whatever reason, that is precisely how they will respond to us. Moreover, if people assume some of my brethren (for example) have ill intentions toward them, they will often enough assume wrongly that others of us do too. :(
The Golden Rule is tried and true. IMHO, it is good policy to make every effort to extend it to others as much as wishing for others to extend it to us personally.
I have yet to see where two acts of rashness equal an act of prudence, even on the internet.

Well, just some of my thoughts and concerns. Maybe I just think and worry like a girl or something. <sigh>

Back to our regularly scheduled bridge building now. :(

Peace,
- Kathy Jo

yuanfen
09-23-2003, 05:11 PM
KJ sez:

Back to our regularly scheduled bridge building now.

----------------------------------------------------
A footnote- wing chun chi sao is not just about wrist work.
Several posts in the past have pigeonholed chi sao as being limited to wrist work.

PaulH
09-23-2003, 05:46 PM
For Kathy and those who work so hard for peace in the forum:

"Could we look into the hearts concealed from us, we should often pity where we hate, love where we think we can never forgive, and admire where we curl the lip with scorn and indignation. - unknown"

Best wishes,

canglong
09-23-2003, 07:15 PM
originally posted by John Weiland
"If you want answers, ask the HFY accountants how much the marketing has boosted sales. Don't you wish we'd come up with their marketing plan first? Not to worry, we can still borrow the marketing and claim we did it first in keeping with the spirit of things."
"As it stands, the burden of proof remains on the HFY forum members who have extended their claims. Think of the get-together as the opportunity to convince more others."
"I'll consider going to the Garrett Gee school after the get-together. But, from the HFY posts I've seen up to this point, I wouldn't cross the street to find out more."

John,
Just to reinforce Sifu Chango's point let me make this as clear as I possibly can HFY owes you absolutely nothing! The answers and information you have to date are a courtesy not an obligation. Your ego leads you to believe you are the holder of credibility but rest assured the strain of carrying that ego has left you ill prepared to deal with reality.

I can not speak for my brothers and sisters as I don't know why they did not attend your gathering. As for myself an invitation from you sounds too disingenuous to bother with. Having a gathering doesn't make the host gracious, but a gracious host makes the gathering.

William E
09-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Thank you Savi for using this public forum to announce the next public seminar given by GM Gee.

Weiland Wrote >>The ego free event (well, we axed 10 bucks to cover food and beverages), which someone else suggested and I organized, was actually inspired as a way to let the HFY contingent show themselves as part of Wing Chun society since so many had never heard of them or seen them.

I highly doubt that this events sole inspiration was a way for allowing HFY practitioners to show off their stuff. Because no HFY members were able to participate in your event you use it as an opportunity to talk trash which is not unexpected. Your pre-event posts on this forum and antogonistic attitudes towards HFY probably had something to do with the non-participation. Maybe KJ should give a seminar in relations building before having your next HFY coming out party.

Weiland Wrote >>Too bad that while 50 folks from all over and more than ten lineages came to participate, no HFY parties came. No-show Roger Rollinghand was specifically invited as was Hendrik Santo who came and showed us what a remarkable individual he is. Attendees included folks from all over California and as far away as New York and Boston, not to mention AZ represented by the forum's esteemed senior member, Joy Chaudhuri

There are lots of things that are too bad including the negativity that the same individuals continue to shed on HFY. With all the crap that was written by Hendrik, Joy (aka forum’s esteemed senior member - aka HFY hater), yourself and others in Ben Der’s school regarding HFY there is no way that the event could be considered “ego free” from my perspective.

Weiland Wrote>> How the HFY contingent can imagine they have any credibility and continue to post after missing such a convenient and open opportunity to show their stuff and debate theory bemuses me.

How you, a real WC nobody, can actually sit there and judge HFY as a whole bemuses me. GM Gee has given several seminars over the last few years with people attending from all over the country and the world for that matter and I don’t recall too many people from Ken's school there. Does this mean your lineage has less credibility?

William E.

yuanfen
09-23-2003, 10:34 PM
William E's label:
Joy (aka forum’s esteemed senior member - aka HFY hater),
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What nonsense!!!

yuanfen
09-23-2003, 10:42 PM
William E's label:
Joy (aka forum’s esteemed senior member - aka HFY hater),
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What nonsense!!!

man in blue
09-23-2003, 11:04 PM
One announcement of a great seminar . . . so many 'angry', 'emotional' replies.

Thanks KJ for your wise words. I surely hope all participants to this thread take you message into consideration.

I'm looking forward to this seminar . . .

Man in Blue

Chango
09-24-2003, 12:14 AM
I really would like to go but I will not be able to attend this siminar. however I will there in spirit and offer my complete support! I will guarentee that it will an enlightening experience for all that can make it. I hope those that
have questions about HFY will be able to attend one of the up comming events to get answers and take part in the sharing of HFY's wisdoms offered through it's practice. I think we all can agree that there is no teacher like experience. So that being said we must keep in mind that there is really only a few appropriate responses to the original post and the future announcements of such events. Those responses would be
1. I will be there! etc...
2. I would like to make but I cannot make it etc...
3. I don't want to know more etc...

If your answer is #3. or in that same theme we understand. But then I have to ask Why did you view this thread in the first place? and what are your intentions? What do you wish to acoomplish by your post? As with anything some people cannot see the value of HFY and some people view the training of HFY as a great oppertunity to see a real treasure of Shaolin. Some are interested it just finding out exactly what HFY is or isn't. We all understand this so please don't waste others time with attacks and insults and half witted judgements based on who showed up here or there and who didn't etc...

it is a simple case of "this and that" "THIS" is a great oppertunity for HFY training being offered to the public! I hope many can make it and will enjoy the oppertunity being offered. Anything out side of "this" well you know is just "that" and has nothing to do with "this" announcement. So if you could take "that" else where it would be for the sake of all of us. ROFLOL! Maybe now I sound as far out there as some of the "HFY haters" on this forum.

I honestly would like to see some of the "haters" realize that HFY is not a threat to them. HFY just is! and no matter how much they attack. HFY will still be here as strong and as deep as true as ever! The more others become edjucated on what is HFY. weather others agree with HFY knowlege or not it will be clear how rediculous the less informed attackers seem. I can only tell you gents don't fear what you do not know. Find out more about it then debate on those particular points if you don't agree. So until you actually find out. you will just "Haters" and like all "Hater" you remain to be the least informed while feeling threatened. You know Suffering!

Chango

For the younger ladies and gents of the forum.

Keep in mind one should not hate when one can participate!
:D

reneritchie
09-24-2003, 05:20 AM
"What the hell!!!! Who the **** are you to say that to me!!!!!"

Whao there young bison. Settle down. Take a deep breath. I wasn't talking about you, only your post.

Who am I to say what I say? Who are you to say the things you say? Same thing: posters on a message board. No more, no less.

"I said some people! did i mention any lineages?"

Did I say you did?

"I just said SOME schools will take it the wrong way!!!"

And I AGREED with you. And I commented on how unfortunate that was.

"Did i say YM, HFY, YKS, ect......... NO!!! NO lineages!!!"

I noticed that. Did you notice me noticing?

"I was saying some WC guys out there (becuase WC is a fighting art) would take it as a challenge. Especially if you were in a different linage."

And again, I AGREED with you. (Though it has nothing to do with WCK being a fighting art, but more to do with ego and appearance).

"See, You don't even know me Rene so stop thinking your the Sh!t on WC becuase your not!!!"

And you don't know me.

"I don't get ****ed really easily..... But whatever.... I'll remember your comments in the future... see ya around"

Whatever dude. You decided to read my post completely wrong, then become upset and attack me personally. That has nothing to do with me. So chill, and maybe go figure out why.

Rolling_Hand
09-24-2003, 12:03 PM
<<"What the hell!!!! Who the **** are you to say that to me!!!!!">>Train

A religious person is one who is trying to live his life the best, the most total way he can; in the most alert way that he can, he is trying. And he is not interfering with anybody's life, not even by having an opinion.

In WCK, we have a "SNT". In Tao, the way that can be told of it is not an unvarying way.

canglong
09-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Thank you for all the welcome words of wisdom Roger, KJ, Chango and others. Looking forward to an excellent seminar.

Again, for anyone needing assistance with any portion of their logistics during their duration in town for the seminar please contact the Az kwoon asap.

Date & Location:
Chandler, AZ 85224

Saturday, 11 October 2003 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sunday, 12 October 2003 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

$100 for Members and $150 for Non-Members
(prior to)
$125 for Members and $180 for Non-Members
(at the door)

For more information contact:
Chandler, AZ 85224
(480) 820-2428 – phone
(480) 820-0222 – fax
www.mengsofaz.com
sifu@mengsofaz.com

Savi
09-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by akalish
Savi,

It may be worth adding that the Workshop will be presented by Sifu Gee. Since it seems that so many people have so many questions about Hung Fa Yi, this represents a great chance to get information directly from him.

I am looking forward to seeing you all out there in sunny Chandler (my plane ticket is all set!). Especially since Rochester in The Fall/Winter months is best when viewed from AZ (maybe that is just my age talking...) Best wishes until then.

ajk Many a thanks, Sisuk Kalish! I should have noticed that I did not mention Master Gee in the original post, I am so embarassed for not seeing that... I look with great enthusiasm towards this coming seminar. I believe this will be the first ever seminar focusing on HFY's Chan roots and methods, and quite possibly we will learn how these methods reinforce the passing of the system too! Further clarifications and deeper training into this (HFY) unique perspective of seeing all things through Time, Space and Energy will also be sought after for sure.

This past weekend's seminar at MengsofAZ with Master Meng proved to be quite an eye opener for many regarding Chan as well as covering our SNT/SLT curriculum - two years worth of training in two days... to be certain we got a mere taste of master/disciple-level training! Bruises and all... tough stuff...

Also, I would like to note that there will be a banquet during the weekend of the seminar as well as a book signing session for those who would like all 3 authors' autographs on their copy of the book. Truly this will be quite a treat as Master Gee, Master Meng and Master Loewenhagen will be present for this historical event. As I understand, many people from the SF headquarters, the VTM headquarters and members from its branches will be in attendance as well. The students of Meng's Martial Arts of Arizona will definitely accomodate as many people as possible.

Sincerely,
-Savi.

Savi
09-25-2003, 10:08 PM
If I may ask, will anyone from this forum be attending the seminar, or visiting the Phoenix area during that weekend? It would be a great opportunity to meet you as well as you meeting Grandmaster Gee, Master Meng, and my sifu if you never have before.

Savi
09-25-2003, 10:27 PM
I was just thinking that since this thread sort of started off with a testimonial from Mr. Mckinnon (which was appreciated), I thought I would add a link here from the VTM website to the other testimonials in hopes of offering a broader perspective of the attendees:

http://home.vtmuseum.org/timeline/2002/nov01-03_2002.php

This was from the 6th annual HFY workshop back in Nov, 2002.

Rolling_Hand
09-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the link Savi much appreciated.

I like this one...

<<I had never understood Kiu Sau but I didn't really see the point. I always thought that if I was ever in a confrontation I could go straight into Chi Sau. Now, I understand the need for Chi Sau, if at all comes from Kiu Sau. You can go straight into Saan Da if you know Kiu Sau; Chi Sau doesn't always connect to Saan Da. Chi Sau for me now is a back up tool, you can use it to get back on track. Now I have a better understanding of training methodology.>> - Mike Davis

canglong
09-27-2003, 12:01 AM
Now is also the time to plan to join Grand Master Gee for the 9th Public seminar and workshop. This 3 day event will take place at the end of October 2003 and is sure to be another in a long line of detailed informative and educational Hung Fa Yi functions. All those interested in participating in this event are encourage to contact the Hung Fa Yi Headquarters (http://www.hungfayi.com/) directly for more detailed information. This event will enjoy the same care and nurturing giving to all other events in which Grand Master Gee is a participant but will also have the added bonus of taking place in beautiful Brazil, South America. An estimated 40 local wck practitioners will be on hand for this first international HFY event and there is still room for those people interested in traveling and experiencing HFY in an international setting.

reneritchie
09-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Best wishes for a great seminar, and hopefully everyone who attends will not only have fun with the gung-fu, but will get to enjoy Gee sifu's and each other's company, trading stories, exchanging culture, and making friends.

Savi
09-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by canglong
Now is also the time to plan to join Grand Master Gee for the 9th Public seminar and workshop. This 3 day event will take place at the end of October 2003 and is sure to be another in a long line of detailed informative and educational Hung Fa Yi functions.... This event will enjoy the same care and nurturing giving to all other events in which Grand Master Gee is a participant but will also have the added bonus of taking place in beautiful Brazil, South America. Rio eh? Ah, beaches... Sigung told me about attending this awesome opportunity when he was here in AZ, but my duties at the kwoon leave little room for travel. Hoepfully there will be many photos taken to share in the event! I'd bet on someone posting the pics in our forum's photo gallery.

reneritchie
09-30-2003, 07:52 AM
I have a couple of Brazilian friends at work and get to enjoy their pictures whenever they come back. Always spectacular. Just bewary of the thong beauties, as their boyfriends inevitably have pit bulls trained in zhu zhitsoo ;)