PDA

View Full Version : Best Handgun to buy?

SanSoo Student
09-21-2003, 10:33 PM
What are your people's opinions on handguns for Self Defense?
What are your opinions about the "best" handgun to buy?
Economically and performance-wise...

Fred Sanford
09-22-2003, 02:27 AM
Desert Eagle .50 AE
http://www.magnumresearch.com/

Smith and Wesson Model 500
http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/m500.htm

Glock 10mm
http://www.glock.com/10.htm

:D

Repulsive Monkey
09-22-2003, 10:12 AM
KNOB-HEAD!

SanSoo Student
09-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Man those glocks look hella nice!!!!:D

tnwingtsun
09-23-2003, 01:04 AM
I love my USP in 45 ACP

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/pages/civilian/uspframeset.html

Thats the one to go with if ya have the funds,IMO

SanSoo Student
09-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Is that more expensive than the Glock 10mm guns?

Dark Knight
09-23-2003, 10:08 AM
Best handgun? Thats an open question. Go to an indoor range and rent a couple.

I own a Glock 22 in .40S&W, Its a good size, easy to conceal for a full size gun, very accurate. I own two high cap magazines for it and two 10 rounders. But the average shoot out last 3 rounds.

I have a springfield 1911 .45. Full size. I carry it concealed (In the Waistband, fanny pack, belly band, standard holster) just dress for what you carry. It is pretty heavy, I carry 8 round magazines so that gives me 9 total with one in the chamber. The 1911 is my favorite over the Glock.

I also carry a revolver. Its a Dan Wesson .357. It has interchangable barrels, so I have the 2.5, 4, 6 and 8 inch barrels. I can conceal it with the 2.4 and 4 in very well.

I also have a Bersa .380 for a backup (Its a PPK knock off, gives you that 007 feeling) Its an OK gun but not enough power.

The advantage of a revolver is its simplicity. No safety to fool with, if it misfires just pull the trigger again, if you have to hand it to someone they can fire it with no problem. You can run 38 specials through it so your wife can shoot the lighter loads if you need. No major malfuntions like a misfeed, jam or other problems you see in a semi auto. (I have had a few misfires in my semi autos, a round did not fire).

Go to www.gunbroker.com and search there. Taurus puts out good quality for a good price. I reccomend a revolver, everyone should own one. But if you want a semi auto buy a well known name and one that feels good to you. I dont like SIG, and I have met people who dont like Glock. Many 1911 people dont like anything but a 1911, and the same for Glock people.

The majority of police are dropping the 9mm and going to the .40, the .357 mag is prob the best all around round (revolver round, other than desert eagle) the .357 sig is a good round. The instructors at top gun training facilities (Gunsite, Thunder Ranch...) use 1911's in .45.

But get what you feel comfortable with. As long as its a good quality you will not be dissapointed. Dont go on someones opinion that X gun is the best. Do some research, shoot some of them, ask questions, dealers will tell you what they carry is the best because thats what they are trying to sell.

I know a police trainer who say's the Barretta 92 is the greatest gun made (The Military carries it) and I know other police trainers who say its not very good.

I own 19 guns (Hand guns, rifles, shotguns) if I had to keep one hand gun, it would be the revolver.

Dark Knight
09-23-2003, 10:10 AM
BTW, if you are chooseing between a .45 and a 10mm, go with the .45. Its more controllable, and cheaper for ammo.

Dark Knight
09-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Also go to the www.1911forum.com for questions on different 1911 makers.

QuaiJohnCain
09-23-2003, 10:30 AM
It's highly individual. You should try going to a decent target range that rents different pistols to use. You should pick one that feels good, easily controlled (recoil), and aims well (different people shoot different guns differently:p )

Glock or USP are the best combat pistols, hands down. Sig makes some mighty fine pieces, too. I prefer a Glock 23. .40 cal in the compact frame. I have to ask, though, when you say "Self Defense" do you mean packin', or just one in the bedroom drawer?

and umm, Fred, have you actually shot a DE .50 or a S&W 500? These are the last two guns on the entire planet that I would want for self defense. The 500 is the most impractical ***** extension ever invented. Even .454 casull is pointless. I can get ten shots off on target with a Glock 23 in the time I can shoot two shots with a .454, at 50 yards, for example. Besides, .454s and 500's HURT to shoot. No matter how good your shooting technique is.

Desert Eagle- Give me one chambered in .44, and I'll deal with it. They're just so ****ed BIG and HEAVY (about six pounds fully loaded) But they shoot staight as hell, hitting stuff at 100 yards is not much of a challenge with a DE. But .50 cal? POINTLESS. At two bucks a round, you can't get much practice unless you're rich. It's overkill. Besides, the .44 with heavy Cor-Bon rounds is more powerful than the .50. The .440 Cor-Bon is even nastier. Going bigger than .44 is simply a waste. Chances are that you're never going to shoot anyone anyways, and the difference in damage a .50 can do to a human versus a good 'ol .44 aint much, if anything. The DE is a Tac-Entry gun, I.E., an ASSAULT weapon. It was never intended for "defense".

Speaking practically, though, a DE or S&W500 are just too big and heavy to comfortably carry, grab, or aim quickly. What you want is a COMBAT pistol. And again, Glock, or USP are the way to go.

Fred Sanford
09-23-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm a 9mm guy actually. I think the big guns like the desert eagle .50 AE are funny.

The DE is a Tac-Entry gun, I.E., an ASSAULT weapon. It was never intended for "defense".

I don't know for sure what it was designed for. the problem with calling it an assault weapon is that follow on shots are going to be slow, why would you want to use it for that?

I'll never own a revolver. Don't like em and I don't see the point.

I want to be proficient at one handgun system, rather than own a big collection of guns.

Dark Knight
09-24-2003, 05:21 AM
I want to be proficient at one handgun system, rather than own a big collection of guns.

Fred is right. I carry my 1911 all the time. The Glock is OK, but not the one I want to carry. I want to buy a compact 1911 to go with it.

Many of the gun manufacturers offer the guns in full size and compact. Glock offers all three, its a big advantage. The new Springfield XD is offered in both (Worth looking at)

If I were starting to buy guns, I would consider a gun that is offered in full and compact size. that way when you change from one to the other its the same basic feel and system.

I feel everyone should own many guns because you can. Its great, I havent shot my TC Contender in 10 years, but I like the gun.

Radhnoti
09-24-2003, 08:01 AM
I keep a .357 taurus revolver loaded in my home. I've taught my wife how to use it...starting with .38 to get her comfortable, and working up to the bigger kick of the .357. My .357 is a ported model, since I wanted increased controllability for the missus...

If I were buying a semi-auto right now, I'd be looking hard at Springfield's XD series.
Check this place out for more info:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

Kristoffer
09-24-2003, 02:17 PM
**** it's good I don't live in usa.. If I did I'd spend all my money on cool guns and ammo. The first piece I'd buy gotta be a shotgun. Not because of self defence or anything just the fact that it's really badass :)

Radhnoti
09-24-2003, 06:30 PM
In my opinion, a good 12 gauge is the best home defense option available. Hard to miss if you've trained with it at all, just the sound of someone chambering with a pump-action has frightened away home invaders in the past. Loaded right you don't have to worry too much about overpenetrating and hitting someone in the next room. Lots of GOOD (read: useful) options/add-ons, like lights...ammo holders....tactical slings...etc.

I thought about mentioning a shotgun, but decided to try to restrain myself to the question, as asked. :D

Dark Knight
09-25-2003, 04:48 AM
Rad, thats a good point. Many top trainers even say a shotgun or rifle is better for home defense. I was reading an article by Clint Smith in one of the gun magazines this month. he said a handgun is best used to get yourself to the rifle.

I shot competition with the shot gun for years, the pattern is not as big as people think (the range you would shoot in a house) But its easier to be accurate, has knock down power, better control than a handgun.

Kris, its sounds cool when you cant own one. But when they are accesable they lose the thrill. I own many, havent shot more than half of them in years and I do have some for defense, most are for hunting or competition.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 09:12 AM
"Desert Eagle .50 AE
http://www.magnumresearch.com/"
I saw the most beatiful DE .50 at the gun show a few months ago... Sterling silver with 24K gold accent pieces...
DE's are so f*ckin hard...
:)
Pistol grip mosberg is what Im fixin to buy for the home...
Im no gun advocate, but all the crazy f*cker with guns kinda leave me no choice... my kung fu wont save me when Im 15 feet away from some gun weilding looney...

Water Dragon
09-26-2003, 10:10 AM
It's like everyday you get a little more practical...

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 10:37 AM
Nah, Im still anti gun, but I dont have much choice... In actuality Ive been planning on buying a mosberg for quite some time now, due to certain persons supposedly supposed to be breaking and entering to my humble domicile... Id more than gladly beat them within an inch of their life using a monkey wrench, but if they got a gun...

Dark Knight
09-26-2003, 10:43 AM
You will find a stock is better than the pistol grip.

Check outGunsite for training videos on handguns, rifles and shotguns (and others) www.gunsite.com

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Eh, Im not gonna aim. Hip hold, point, shoot. No time for aiming with an intruder afoot. Buckshot. 10 guage.
:eek:
Ever since the first time I saw a DE, Ive loved em. (me and guns have a love hate relationship, more than the hate for guns, its the crazy f*ckers that own them that I hate.)

Black Jack
09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
You can also find some good training vids and books at www.paladin-press.com.

Guys like Jeff Cooper, Col. Rex Applegate, Kelly McCann, Gabe Suarez, Jim Cirilo, Matt Burkett.

I like revolvers more than auto. Though I do love mr. olde ugly .45 ACP. I just like the simple reliability of a wheelgun.

rogue
09-26-2003, 07:33 PM
Having a great gun but not being able to get to it is a bad thing. Most of the guys that I know who are serious shooters have several guns hidden around the house. It's a pain and you have to get into the habit of taking care of each one, but they wouldn't have it any other way.

tnwingtsun
09-26-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Eh, Im not gonna aim. Hip hold, point, shoot. No time for aiming with an intruder afoot. Buckshot. 10 guage.
Ever since the first time I saw a DE, Ive loved em. (me and guns have a love hate relationship, more than the hate for guns, its the crazy f*ckers that own them that I hate.)

Please do aim for the sake of those around you that you don't want to shoot.

If you must shoot from the hip try pointing your index finger(the one on the front handguard) at your target and for Gods sake go to the range and pratice this first,shouldering your weapon should become second nature and plus I don't want dope smokers like you shooting old ladys by accident and causing more bad gun laws to come on the books:D

Kristoffer
09-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Kris, its sounds cool when you cant own one. But when they are accesable they lose the thrill. I own many, havent shot more than half of them in years and I do have some for defense, most are for hunting or competition.

Yea I guess. I could get it illegally but I don't want it/need it that much. :D Oh and.. you hunt with a shotgun?

Dark Knight
09-28-2003, 06:48 PM
A shot gun is great for almost anything in North America. Slugs for deer, different size shot for deer to birds or small furry animals that tase good.

Kristoffer
09-30-2003, 06:06 AM
neit

Shaolin-Do
09-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Nah dude... sawed off pistol grip mosberg. Only way to go. 10 gauge, buck shot.
And I wouldnt be shooting a shotgun in the general direction of any good doers. :)

Yung Apprentice
10-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Asking what the best handgun to buy is like asking whats the best martial art. Everyone is going to have a different opinion. I favor 40 calibers. And everyone is going to like certain gun makers then others. I love Berettas. And I love Ruger's although they can be kinda heavy, but they are extremely reliable. I like Glocks too, but with Glocks most ppl either love them or hate them.

I like .40's because they are strong enough, and easier to carry and control then .45's, and pack more punch then the 9mm. .357's are good too. .38 or .38 S's have their purpose too.

Revolver's are more reliable then automatics. Some automatics can get jammed, (happens more then ppl want to admit) revolvers very rarely have this problem, and when they do, you can always pull the trigger to get to the next cylinder.

For home defense, pack something big, but not too big. With a 10mm or a 44 magnum, that bullet can go thru flesh and then go thru the wall and hit somebody on the other side. I'd go between a .40 or a .45 . Shotgun's are good too, but use pheasant shot, as buck shot or slugs can/will go thru the wall. (assuming you live with someone, like family)

For concealment, no lower then a .38 and no higher then a 9mm. It's up to u if you want to make an exception and conceal a .40 or .357. I say no lower then a .38, because you never no when you need to take someone down, and .32 may not do it. Most .45's can be quite heavy, which may not be too good for concealment.

.357's are cool because they can use .38 rounds too.

Remember to practice with your gun, often.

Dark Knight- My friend has a Springfield 1911, that thing is sweet!