PDA

View Full Version : Capoeira: African or Brazilian?

Starchaser107
09-22-2003, 02:12 AM
I've asked this before but... here goes anyway

This is the story that I was told. African slaves that were brought to brazil carried with them thier ancient customs and traditions. Such as the "Zebra Dance " which might have been the ancestral form of the Jenga. Slaves developed fighting techniques that took into consideration the shankles on thier feet. They kept from off the ground so as not to soil thier clothing to arouse suspicion from the slave masters. And capoeira was used to revolt.
some slaves ran away and formed camps in distant territories such as parana I believe.
Anyhow , what I want to know is more of a technical question:

"Is the Art of Capoiera Afro-Brazilian, because of it's ancestry and origin?" or "Is it African, because thats where the creators originated from", is it possible that everything in capoiera originated in africa , I've heard this as well. Or finally "Is Capoeira Brazilian , because thats where it became what it is?"

Some things to ponder...

A child is the nationality of it's mother...

There are many ecclectic martial arts styles that have been developed in foreign countries such as north america , and europe.So why are these ecclectic styles still considered Chinese?

Why does Jeet Kune Do fall under Chinese martial arts and bruce lee invented it in america? it also uses western concepts so the essence is not chinese in totality
why is it considered chinese?

A child is also the nationality of whatever country they are born in....

Kristoffer
09-22-2003, 10:04 AM
good question... have no idea what to say.The stuff about Jeet Kunde Do being american is a thing I've never thought of.

I'll do some pondering...

Volcano Admim
09-22-2003, 08:11 PM
brazilian

and its ginga not jenga

dunno about the shankles

when the slaves escaped they formed illegal communities of their called "quilombos"

story told is they move like they move cos they made it believe it was a dance so they could hide it and sudden attack when the slavers were watching the dance show, for example.

Starchaser107
09-22-2003, 08:43 PM
The guy I was learning from, his maestre was brazilian and she believes its african.

Volcano Admim
09-22-2003, 09:08 PM
mestre

the zebra dance was to be a ritual dance, not a specific martial art. capoeira martial art was developed in brazil for brazilian conditions at the time and got named "capoeira" in brazil, so its brazilian.

Starchaser107
09-22-2003, 10:00 PM
cool.
and thanks for the spelling corrections. I appreciate it.

"the zebra dance was to be a ritual dance, not a specific martial art."_________________________________________

didn't say it was a martial art, I said that's possibly where the ginga movements got its origins.

apoweyn
09-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Starchaser,

But you also asked whether capoeira was, in fact, African. And I agree that it's not because there are no documented examples (to my knowledge) of the martial applications of capoeira in Africa.

Now, I think it's perfectly valid to call it Afro-Brazilian, since African dance clearly provides much of the influence for capoeira. But as was mentioned, the conditions in Brazil provided many of the other influences. So it's a combination of factors.

All that said, saying it's a Brazilian art still makes the most sense to me. Many different things have foreign influences. We don't list them all. Even within specifically martial arts, we don't say that Shotokan is a Chinese-Okinawan-Japanese art (despite historical evidence that China and Okinawa did influence karate in Japan).

JKD is an interesting point though. You're right. Developed in America. By an American-born individual. With American sensibilities. And first studied by American students. Huh.

Obviously, Chinese arts were a big influence. But according to the standard I just put forth myself, JKD would be an American art. How about that.

And no, I won't be describing JKD as a Chinese-European-American art anytime soon.

:)

Stuart B.

Starchaser107
09-23-2003, 09:50 AM
k.
I personally am not a fan of categorizing thing but, I think to an extent in the world thats how alot of people percieve things, so maybe for communication purposes it's good to do this.

Ok, Capoeira as Brazilian makes most sense , yes. Some people think differently about this , but , this is how it's generally recognized.

bless

Former castleva
09-27-2003, 11:00 AM
http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2003-04-27/46.asp

Starchaser107
09-27-2003, 12:37 PM
thanks castle.

Tak
10-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Which character is supposed to be using the capoeira style in Tekken 2?

Starchaser107
10-16-2003, 09:14 AM
No one,
They Refer to Eddy Gordo in Tekken 3.
I have no idea who they used as a reference for Christie in T4. but I love her outfits