PDA

View Full Version : Top skills

PaulH
09-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Hello Everyone,

There are so many diverse WC communities here on this forum. I am curious on which WC skills do you seek most after from studying with your Sifu? It would be awesome if some non- Yip Man folks could share a few thoughts as well. My motive? Just love to hear different perspectives across our forum. Hopefully, we all can learn somethings new and interesting at the end of the thread.

Regards,

reneritchie
09-22-2003, 02:17 PM
The ability to control balance and momentum. That's the key to any art.

(And I say that only because don't discuss the levitating SLT with Yip Man folks :p )

old jong
09-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Less muscle/more power,better body unity,better timing and being able to throw fire balls if needed!...;)

PaulH
09-22-2003, 05:38 PM
Still waiting eagerly for more. Thanks Rene and OJ.

There are many terrific skills that I saw from various WC people. I like to name a few here for now:

1. Ghost-like boxing. Definitely most scary. Regardless how you move or apply pressure, he's felt like empty air. Worse, when you try to hit him, he is not there and baam you just got knocked out.

2. He hits you whenever he feels like it. Everything you do to him is full of holes and he just hit the holes as you give him.

Regards,

KingMonkey
09-23-2003, 11:32 AM
I am more seeking an ability, the ability to destroy whoever stands in front of me if I so wish.

PaulH
09-23-2003, 12:53 PM
KingMonkey,

I think you got it aplenty already! Ha! Ha! If you want to develop more this ability. Paul Vunak or Robert Kincaid would be an excellent start.

Regards,

KingMonkey
09-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Yes would be nice to train with Vunak. I have investigated cross training in JKD with a guy who is supposedly something to do with him. Havent got around to checking his credentials yet. But for now I decided to hold off, its too different to WT, more MT kicks and punches, but some good stuff no doubt.

PaulH
09-23-2003, 04:31 PM
You might have to give up every preconceived MA notions including your familiar WT, if you want to gain the ability that you wish above. I found my hand skills improving rapidly once I let go of my dominant emphasis on the horse power. New skills often come from the ashes of the old.

Regards,

KingMonkey
09-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Although there's no silver bullet I believe WT can be a very good way to achieve my goal if taught and trained properly.

PaulH
09-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Certainly Emin B. is an outstanding example of what you just say. I love how he moves and hits. Good fighter from the crow of his head to the tip of his toes all the way.

Regards,

Jim Roselando
09-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Hey Paul et al,

Well, I strive for the ability to shock and control. Control would be a few things including balance. Shock would be working together with the control. A good bi-product that comes with the small Fa Jing type actions. Coordinating the Waist, Spine & Chest while maintaining a good relaxed rooted posture. Without this the other stuff cannot really work anyhow!

On another note! The ghost hands you mentions would be called Mo Ying Sao in Koo Lo WC. Sifu would often tell us when the Mo Ying Sao is landing on you, it is not fun!

Rene,

E-mail me the details about the levitating SLT! :D

Gotta run!

See ya,

PaulH
09-24-2003, 09:14 AM
That is interesting, Jim! Your shock is what I call a surprise action before the damage action where I train.

Thanks,

Jim Roselando
09-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Hey Paul,

Shock is very important!

It causes the brain to freeze for a split second! Or as my friend calls it:

A Brain F*RT!

Once that happens you jump all over them!

;)

Greetz,

taltos
09-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Jim Roselando
Shock is very important!

I totally agree.

As one of the smaller guys (in terms of mass) in my school, I need to get them to tense up, just for that split second, so I have all the leverage, all the root, and all the fluidity. It also helps make sure that they can't diffuse any of the energy I'm sending their way.

-Levi

Vyvial
09-24-2003, 11:49 AM
i would like to be able to break down my VT into even smaller detail and deeper understanding, I am well past the wanting to learn how to fight stage. I concentrate on making the VT my own, suppression fighting and total control from contact.
I would hope to make make my VT even more simple with less thought during action with smaller moevments. In my SNT I now am focusing on haveing zero movement in the body except for the motions from the form, meaning no shaking no shoulder movement and making everything precise.
I strive for total control.

PaulH
09-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Vyvial,

Good point! Often when we do the forms we tend to send signals away by the loading up before the discharge. The skill of hitting efforlessly from where you are without the loading up is important when practicing forms. Thanks.

PaulH
09-26-2003, 10:02 AM
One skill that Hendrik mentioned I thought fun to mention is using the body like a hand. Hawkins Cheung is very good at this trick. You punch his small body hard and his body just glue to it like iron to magnet. You are now trapped and at his merciless two free hands. I love it when the table is turned. Ha! Ha!

Phenix
09-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by PaulH
One skill that Hendrik mentioned I thought fun to mention is using the body like a hand. Hawkins Cheung is very good at this trick. You punch his small body hard and his body just glue to it like iron to magnet. You are now trapped and at his merciless two free hands. I love it when the table is turned. Ha! Ha!

That is Hawkins Kungfu not trick.

On other hand, imagine if it is Diaz who's body you punch. are you stay stick ? Pual?

PaulH
09-26-2003, 10:25 AM
My girlfriend would kill me if I do... So no, I am no match for her mouth lashing. Ha! Ha!

Jim Roselando
09-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Hendrik!

Hsu Chi is going to start getting jealous!

There is nothing worst than an upset womans wrath!

:eek:

See ya,

Phenix
09-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Hey guys,

Believe it or not. and not joking.

I read some old Yee Chuan writting from the top guy. somewhere it said that " beating others similar to kissing" wow, hahahaa. what can I said. no joke.

those people seems to be real creative and broad minded.

Paul, you watch vanila sky? Diaz and Tom cruse, Try that one.

and how about Devil's advocate by apacino and the guy who play matrix? that one is my favorite. Devil's advocate. May be I am the Devil, corrupting people hahahaha

Jim Roselando
09-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Hendrik/Paul,

Was the Yi Chuan writing from Wang Xiang Zhai?

Do not forget about a young Charlize Theron in Devils Advocate!

:p

See ya,

PaulH
09-26-2003, 03:12 PM
I don't read this book, Jim. The quote above is very taoist though. It eschews violence even in fighting. "A man of violence will come to a violent end." - Lao Tzu.

anerlich
09-26-2003, 05:01 PM
"Hawkins Cheung is very good at this trick. "

So is Jean-Jacques Machado. He can trap your hand between his head, neck and shoulder and control your whole body. One of his party tricks is to drag one around the room like this.

PaulH
09-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Anerlich,

I think I may know a little of this BJJ trick. You lost your balance and forever try in vain to catch your balance while he parades you around. If it is, then Hawkins' stuff is different. His body is glued/trapped to your hands wherever you go. It has to do more with the ability to stick to motion.

Regards,

R Clausnitzer
09-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Jim Roselando
Hendrik!

Hsu Chi is going to start getting jealous!

There is nothing worst than an upset womans wrath!

:eek:

See ya,

Hi, Jim

If you or anyone is interested in the original quote (one of my favourites) that your sentiment echoes (or the other way around, if you prefer :)), it's from "The Mourning Bride" (a play written in 1697 by the dramatist William Congreve):

Heav'n has no rage, like love to hatred turned,
Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn'd.

Regards.

Rolf Clausnitzer

yuanfen
09-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the source of that wonderful quote Rolf.
Best wishes, Joy

R Clausnitzer
09-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Thanks for the source of that wonderful quote Rolf.
Best wishes, Joy

Hi, Joy

My pleasure.....and keep those thoughtful as well as thought provoking posts of yours coming.

Btw, it's only the second half of that quote that keeps being repeated, but I like the first half equally.....I finally tracked it down in the Concise Oxford Dictionary Of Quotations.....and Kathy, please rest assured I am no chauvinist :)

Regards.

Rolf

kj
09-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by R Clausnitzer
Kathy, please rest assured I am no chauvinist :)

LOL, no worries, Rolf.

I can also assure you the quote is based on truth. ;):D

Regards,
- kj

Vash
09-27-2003, 06:11 PM
New skills often come from the ashes of the old.

I've found that my new skills come from devouring the ashes of the old folks who live around here.

Just my $.02

yuanfen
09-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Another troll!

yuanfen
09-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Vash- best to contribute something constructive rather than
not so cute anonymous trolling.

Vash
09-27-2003, 08:42 PM
Anonymous? Nay, my profile is complete.

Vash
09-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Oh, yes . . . Thick Skin = Strong Kung Fu.

yuanfen
09-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Vash- same old boring trolling on a bunch of forums.
Surely contributing to a good issinryu forum would be better
use of your time.

bye bye

Vash
09-27-2003, 09:35 PM
You have fever. Should lay down.

PaulH
09-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Hi All,

Just before I head out the door, I could not resist this temptation to add a little lore to the unending story of Adam and Eve. All from the same witty Congreve. Thanks, Rolf.

"Tho' marriage makes man and wife one flesh, it leaves 'em still two fools." - The Double Dealer

"Women are like tricks by sleight of hand,
Which, to admire, we should not understand." - Love for Love

Okay, I think this is enough before someone's wrath unfurled and slain my humorous self. Ha! Ha!

Have a great day!

R Clausnitzer
09-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Hi All,

Just before I head out the door, I could not resist this temptation to add a little lore to the unending story of Adam and Eve. All from the same witty Congreve. Thanks, Rolf.

"Tho' marriage makes man and wife one flesh, it leaves 'em still two fools." - The Double Dealer

"Women are like tricks by sleight of hand,
Which, to admire, we should not understand." - Love for Love

Okay, I think this is enough before someone's wrath unfurled and slain my humorous self. Ha! Ha!

Have a great day!

Thanks, Paul, much appreciated LOL :)

Rolf