PDA

View Full Version : Was this wrong????

Grappling-Insanity
06-19-2001, 08:04 AM
I'm feeling really guilty right now... But here's the story.

Me and my friend are walking through a field. Then I hear something behind me. I look behind me and I see a dog jumping at me. I mean it's mouth was open and it made a big growl.

My reaction was automatic. I just gave it a bit cross. I was afraid it was going to bite me. It seriously looked like it was going to. The dog went down but then got up. Just as it looked like it was going to attack me, its owner came.

The owner b*tch*d me out for like 5 mins. I said I was really sorry because I was. He said I was lucky he doesnt press charges. Was I wrong??? :(

Crimson Phoenix
06-19-2001, 11:05 AM
Absolutely not wrong: the dog seemed menacing, and when dogs jump on you to play they seldom growl and have a kind of playful face even when they show their teeth...Plus, it came from the back, you had no time to analyze the situation, your instinct just reacted the way it considered better for your survival...
Everyone would have done that (or would have got bitten).
You should have also kicked the stupid owner for letting the dog free without a leash...if you want my opinion, he was the one risking legal stuffs...

Budokan
06-19-2001, 03:27 PM
What in heaven's name were you supposed to do? Stand there and let a strange dog jump towards your throat with his mouth open? F*ck that, you did fine.

And you had a lot more patience than me to let some incompetent c*ckwad bawl you out for 5 minutes. After he said you were lucky he didn't press charges, you should have told him he was lucky you didn't stomp a mudhole into his a$$ for not watching his dog better.

I'm sick and tired of these f*ckheaded b*st*rds who think the world owes them something. It's always somebody elses fault other than their own. The words "personal responsibility" simply don't exist in our culture anymore. What a shame.

K. Mark Hoover

shaolinboxer
06-19-2001, 04:40 PM
But if you think the dog looked agressive, better to protect yourself.

People are sensitive about their dogs....here in NYC i've seen guys go to the ground over their dogs. (which is disturbing, seeing them wrestle while their dogs are actually just playing around).

SLC
06-19-2001, 06:43 PM
With humans, all you need is to "believe" you are being threatened. The dogs action qualifies. I don't know what the leash laws are in Canada, but you could probably get the owner in trouble most anywhere in the states. The owner is responsible for the dog, and most places require dogs to be leashed.

It was very patient of you to endure the owner barking at you too.

The real answer must come from your local law. Call them and ask. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Abstract
06-19-2001, 10:42 PM
yo if that thing JUMPED at you then you did what you had to do. Lyle, I've seen that too many a times here in NYC, that is wack. GI I woulda done the same thing if a dog jumped at me, I woulda booted it across the field. And yea, you were very patient to endure the owner barking at you afterwords.

devere
06-19-2001, 11:52 PM
Hey sorry if this sounds ignornant, but what do you mean by "gave it a bit cross?" Either way, I agree with Budokan:

It's always somebody elses fault other than their own. The words "personal responsibility" simply don't exist in our culture anymore.

A - F*cking MEN

Grappling-Insanity
06-20-2001, 03:52 AM
I meant right cross. Thnx guys after reading your posts it seriously made me feel better. I didnt really mind the owner yelling at me. I guess because I was feeling guilty.

I can now see that it wasnt my fault. There are leash laws up here so I probably couldnt get in any trouble (possibly get him in trouble!!) but serioulsy thanks guys.

SLC
06-20-2001, 06:09 PM
I guess we chalk one up for striking arts here... ? :)

Nutt'nhunny
06-20-2001, 08:53 PM
A man faces felony charges for assault to a dog.

Heres the story, after an argument brought on by road rage, this guy approaches the car and the owner is *****ing at him. To make matters worse, the owner's prize miniature fluff dog, you know, those fluffy little rats in dog suits? Was yipping at him non stop with excrusiating pitch.

What did he do?

He picked up the dog and tossed it into traffic where it was squished flat, the man faces jail time.

I sympathize. I think I would have done the same. The news tried to poor on the emotion by showing glamour shots of that stupid little fur ball.

I myself have gotten in a fist fight with large greyhound. He was fast and bit my arm, but after a couple of hooks to the head, he mellowed out. Wer'e friends now. I gave him part of my sandwich

BAI HE
06-21-2001, 05:25 PM
You were entirely in the right.
You also did the owner a favor, had you been attacked and reported it to the police it is possible that the dog could be put down and there is a possibility you could sue. There is a **** good reason why leash laws are pretty strict.
Also, dogs are not a percieved threat, they are a threat. A dog can be very dangerous indeed.
It's possible the dog might have let up but better safe than sorry. Some of the most serious threats are of the unrecognized, unorthodox nature.

If you are ever bitten through the skin by a dog you don't know. Go to the emergency room ASAP.
If you contract rabies and it is not dealt with immediately you will die.
Rabies is 100% fatal in all human cases.

wujidude
06-22-2001, 02:05 AM
When you crossed that field? If you were on the dog-owner's property, then the dog may have been performing a legitimate guard-dog function. A dog doesn't have to be on a leash when it's on its owner's property.

But even when trespassing I don't think you had any kind of legal or moral obligation to NOT defend yourself against the dog's attack. Nice to know your MA training gives you half-way decent reflexes. It also sounds like you were more than patient with the dog's owner.

By the way, what is a "bit cross"? Excuse my ignorance . . . I just haven't heard of that technique.

SevenStar
06-22-2001, 06:44 AM
Yeah, everything Budokan said!

-SevenStar©
Come not between the dragon and his wrath...

tnwingtsun
06-22-2001, 08:24 AM
Good for you that you didn't try to take the pooch down and apply a pawbar or a furry choke,(this will not work on a trained attack dog).
A trained dog(or a non-trained dog) out of instint are fast,slippery and will be at your throat in a flash,as a general rule they don't think,they act,good thing you have striking skills.

Grappling-Insanity
06-23-2001, 10:56 AM
No I was not trespassing, I was on public property the whole time. It was a right cross srr for the mistake :) .

And every1 keeps saying I was so patient and stuff. The reason I was feeling guilty is because my punch cut up the dogs face and I wouldnt be surprised if it broke its jaw :( :( :( .

Black Jack
06-23-2001, 11:40 PM
You acted in a perfect and reasonable fashion.

As a very responsible dog owner of one of the most misunderstood breeds in the world I have a zero tolerance factor for those types of arrogant dumb ****s.

Honeysmacks: Are you serious or are you just joking around because if you were serious about how you sympathised with that lunatic then you need to get some anger management classes or psychological therpay pronto there buckaroo.

The guy threw a innocent dog into heavy traffic over nothing but road rage. He should be shot for wasting the ****ing air I breath.

I wish he tried that **** with my dogs. He would be ground chuck for a month.

Regards

honorisc
06-24-2001, 01:09 PM
At the end of a day, ~all dogs which run in small packs forgive offenses. Better to strike and oops a friend who can forgive you then hold off on a new opponent without ~reason who has no Mercy.

You found yourself with a snarling toothy creature with four claws per locomotion appendage leave the ground and fall you...or at least get up on you? You could have waited to see if it would be alright. If this was a video game. In this Life think or act or habit. Whatever you do is Right for that Momnent. The owner might not like the damage to the dog. But someone being upset at you relevant to actions does not necessarily mean that you are wrong.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Starbuck
06-25-2001, 09:44 PM
Like everyone else is saying, you did the right thing. It is ALWAYS right to defend yourself from imminent bodily harm, no matter where it's coming from.

By the way, does anyone know the "right" way for dealing with an attacking dog? I thought I remember hearing that you should kick an attacking dog in the head, but I'm not sure. It seems to me that punching it would be more dangerous as you would have to bend over to reach it. Unless, of course, it was already in your face. :o

<HR>"Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform." - Mark Twain

Bad Karma
06-26-2001, 01:40 PM
You did the right thing, better be safe than sorry.

--
BK

Bad Karma
06-26-2001, 01:51 PM
"The guy threw a innocent dog into heavy traffic over nothing but road rage. He should be shot for wasting the ****ing air I breath."

And he got 3 YEARS OF JAIL for killing a mere dog, that's totally unbelievable! I live in Finland myself and here even rapists and child molesters will not usually get that much.

--
BK

dnc101
07-03-2001, 06:35 PM
The average house mutt can usually be stared down.
I used to be a distance runner, and back then I enjoyed chasing aggressive dogs.

But a really mean/ aggressive dog is a serious threat, especially if it has been trained. I would control the head (as the head goes, so goes the animal) which is also where the primary weapon is. Then if the situation warrants it, destroy the jaw.

Don't count on offering an arm to work on a trained dog. He will ignore your offering and go for what he was trained.