PDA

View Full Version : Your style.

Shaolin-Do
09-23-2003, 01:21 PM
How efficient do you feel your style(s) is? how efficient do you feel your style(s) is for you? How much of your style(s) are you able to apply?

Ill share after this thread gets going a bit. :D

norther practitioner
09-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Efficiency in style.. fighting, training, what?
Long fist is known to many as inefficient, however the basics (1) build proper strength, teach you how to punch (amazing how a front punch and a jab are so similar), kick, footwork (wich is sorely missed by many).... etc.

What can I use, well I use a good deal of what I know, which isn't a lot....:D

Shaolin-Do
09-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Ability to apply in sparring, ability to teach, ability to apply in real world fighting situations... its not too specific. just run with it. :)

MasterKiller
09-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Well, I spend about 1/2 my time with weapons, which isn't really practical or efficient.

Shaolin-Do
09-23-2003, 01:45 PM
So? :)
Whenever I decide to buy a really sharp sword, your d@mn straight Im gonna chop some watermelons with it out back.

norther practitioner
09-23-2003, 01:51 PM
I train some stuff sparring/fighting specific, I do others to just have fun.... so it depends... be more specific or each reply will need to be a synopsis on everyones intimate relationship with there style and a detailed analysis of the style.

Shaolin-Do
09-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Alrighty... well lets narrow it to how well do you feel you can apply your style for fighting, and how efficient do you feel your style is for fighting?

Water Dragon
09-23-2003, 02:05 PM
I feel that my style is very efficient for fighting.

Liokault
09-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Water Dragon

I feel that my style is very efficient for fighting.

Every style is efficient for fighting, but sadly most are populated by ****s with no clue.

Liokault
09-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Wow the term d o r k is censored!

norther practitioner
09-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
Wow the term d o r k is censored!

Wow, you're just realizing that, with nearly 1,000 posts, what are you some sort of ****?

:D

I think that is what some have come to a concensus on this board about...

Water Dragon
09-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
Every style is efficient for fighting,

I disagree. I just feel that martail political correctness prevents us from admitting it. Kinda like how you're not supposed to say retard in public.

CaptinPickAxe
09-23-2003, 02:47 PM
WD,
How long have you been in Shuai Chiao?

Water Dragon
09-23-2003, 02:51 PM
3 years, Still a beginner :)

Liokault
09-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Wow, you're just realizing that, with nearly 1,000 posts, what are you some sort of ****?

As an English gentalman I rarely feel a need to desend into foul language. plus i tend to spell every thing rong.

Water Dragon
09-23-2003, 03:03 PM
If Liokault is a typical English gentleman, he has no need for foul language. His breath is foul enough.

joedoe
09-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Yes, I believe my art is an efficient fighting style. Can I apply it is a real situation? I won't know until I get in one ;)

Cheese Dog
09-23-2003, 09:40 PM
Yes, my art is efficient for me. And yes, I have (unfortunatly) had to use it in a couple of real situations.

Laughing Cow
09-23-2003, 09:47 PM
I think Joedoe got it right.

You won't know till you have to apply it in the real situation.

Elxen
09-24-2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

I disagree. I just feel that martail political correctness prevents us from admitting it. Kinda like how you're not supposed to say retard in public.

RETARD

I think plain jiu jitsu is very hard to use in real combat
Kyokushin served me a lot better.

Sho
09-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by cerebus
"What'sh yore shtyle?" "My style? You could call it the art of fighting, without fighting." "The art of fighting widdout fighting? Show me shome of it.":D :D TLR Later. :D

Sho
09-24-2003, 06:35 AM
As for my art - I'm absolutely content and comfortable with it. I have no doubts about it being impractical or inapplicable under real circumstances. It works in a friendly sparring environment as well as in a more unrestricted setting.

Ray Pina
09-24-2003, 07:28 AM
God I love my master's method, his formula. I've been with him now 2.5 years and I've never felt better about my ability.

As for my style, I can apply it with results that I am pleased with ... I have what I have. As for my master's style, I'm still trying to get it and only have small pieces of the whole formula. :mad:

A little at a time though, day by day. I learn so much from him about everything. I know it's not healthy to raise your teacher to a high status, but my master is my hero ... and I'm probably too old to have a hero.

brothernumber9
09-24-2003, 07:47 AM
"Dat island, .....on the beach, we could take this boat?"

Shaolin-Do
09-24-2003, 10:36 AM
You D@mn sure can take that boat.

"A true sifu knocks down the idol his students make of him."
:)

MasterKiller
09-24-2003, 10:40 AM
"A true sifu knocks down the idol his students make of him." What about sifus who create their own idols, then spend the rest of their lives trying to keep the students from knocking it down?

Shaolin-Do
09-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Good strategic sales marketing?
:)

No_Know
09-25-2003, 04:22 AM
With those who claim to have or think that they have effective fighting, What happenens if two of you fight each other. The beat-up one is Not the winner. It seems that people say they Would or Can. Are you so effective when it comes to another effective fighter that you think you Would win?

Ray Pina
09-25-2003, 08:08 AM
If I have a problem I don't blame the system, I blame myself. I've seen enough martial arts now to know that the style I'm training suits my tempermant and is as refined as any I've seen (actually the most refined I've seen) The one fight I've lost this year (via decision) was to a much larger man and I think I've worked out what went wrong since then. Losing now and then isn't so bad.

Golden Arms
09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
The only undefeated fighter is one who doesnt test their skills against other opponents...Losing makes you remember you are and always will still be human..:D

Shaolin-Do
09-25-2003, 12:53 PM
"Losings makes you remember you are and always will still be human.."
Bah. Just like a puny mortal.

joedoe
09-25-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Golden Arms
The only undefeated fighter is one who doesnt test their skills against other opponents...Losing makes you remember you are and always will still be human..:D

I am undefeated ... and I am immortal too! :D

Interesting you should say this, because my sifu was talking about investing in loss last night. Good timing.

Ikken Hisatsu
09-26-2003, 09:14 PM
I would like to think it is effective. Honestly though, I never get into any real fights, just sparring which is a whole different kettle of fish.