PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Sifu Brendan Lai

lost mantis
09-23-2003, 02:59 PM
This is a simple remembrance for Sifu Brendan Lai who passed away this day one year ago. (September 23, 2002)

We should remember that Sifu Lai did much during his lifetime to spread the teachings of 7 Star Praying Mantis, even from his early days of teaching in the 60's in the San Francisco Bay Area - where he taught students without regard to their race or background.

His legacy includes his original class in San Francisco as well as schools run by Sifu Tony Chuy in NY, and Sifu Samuel Mendonca in Brazil.

bamboo_ leaf
09-24-2003, 03:18 PM
a good man, and good teacher.

david

B.Tunks
09-25-2003, 03:14 AM
Maximum respect!

NorthernShaolin
09-25-2003, 10:37 AM
It really has been a year. It is really sadden when our community is reminded that another Old Dragon has pass to a better place.

The Old Dragons can never be replaced and his passing is a lost to the CMA community world that cannot be measured.

Repects to him and to his disciples who will carry out his wishes to continue to teach his style, Seven Star Praying Mantis.

Fen
09-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Repects to him and to his disciples who will carry out his wishes to continue to teach his style, Seven Star Praying Mantis.

I only wish I could have studied from him. :(

7 props to the Lai family style of 7*!!!!!!! From the Northern Shaolin family.

~Jason

mantisrider
09-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Hello,
I consider myself very fortunate and honored to have met my Sigung Lai on two seperate occasions in New York as well as having the opportuntiy to learn from him one of many things including a weapon sparring set which has inspired me very much and made me appreciate the chinese martial arts as a whole.

My condolences to Sigung Lai's family.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Its truly sad when anyone goes, especially a grand master. Much respect to him and those who continue in spreading the tradition of 7* praying mantis.
How did he go?

Shaolin Dude
09-26-2003, 10:24 PM
how did he died?

laotzumantis
09-28-2003, 10:15 PM
It is my understanding that Sigung Lai passed away from complications due to diabetes.

Albino_Mantis
09-30-2003, 01:33 PM
:(
As long as those of us who were his students continue training and growing, then his legacy will continue.

lost mantis
10-08-2003, 07:41 PM
sorry for this being late, I meant to post this with the other picture, but i guess it only allows one attachment per post.

Here is a picture of Sifu Lai's headstone where he is buried in Colma, California.

I humbly submit this for the benefit of those in his lineage who cannot travel to visit him. You can print it out and hang it over your practice area, so he may watch and inspire you!

tsk tsk, the forum only allows 100k attachments so i had to crop and compress.

Young Mantis
10-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Lost Mantis,

Thank you very much for posting the photo of Lai Sigung's headstone. Many of us in NY have not been able to visit yet and pay our respects in person.

Vance Young
www.northernmantis.com