PDA

View Full Version : WTF kind of sumo deadlift is this?

IronFist
09-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Sumo deadlift + backbend or something (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/sumodeadlifthighpull.wmv)

I got this video from the CrossFit link someone posted.

a) Why is he leaning back so far at the beginning? You're not supposed to do that are you?

b) Is that a dog that keeps popping on and off the screen in the lower left?

c) What's up with the sumo deadlift/shoulder raise* that he does at the end? What would be the purpose of combining those into one motion, other than to generate momentum with your legs or something for a weight that would be too heavy to use for just shoulder raises.

* I can't remember the real name of this exercise.

IronFist
09-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Here's a link to all the exercises:

Exercises (http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html)

The rope climbing video is cool. A guy does it without using legs. I wish my gym had a climbing rope.

IronFist
09-23-2003, 03:07 PM
WTF part 2:

Click on the video called Tabata Squat. Um... yeah... I'm sure it's a good exercise but, um, yeah...

Anyone know if there are any advantages/disadvantages to doing these versus Hindu Squats? You stay flat footed in these and also look like you're humping something.

IronFist
09-23-2003, 03:10 PM
And now to finish pw'ing my own thread, I want to ****ing shoot myself after hearing the music that goes with the Hang Clean video.

IronFist
09-23-2003, 03:12 PM
No, one more question actually:

Hey kettlebell guys, how good is the guy's form on the kettlebell video? I've never used kettlebells but I think I've seen that exercise done differently.

Ka
09-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Glad I introduced someone to Crossfit
Yep there form may not be classical Gym,but there excerises are all based around daily functional strength movements.(Please remember they come from Law enforcement/Military)I find alot of it works stablizers of the back and Spine area.So big emphasis on compund moves in an endurence format.
Personally I think they rock,try their Workout of the Day for a month or so,and see what you think?
Highly recommend Muscle Ups on the Rings and the Rope Climbing (if you can acess one.)

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 04:45 AM
a) Just looks like he is trying to hit the lower back and spinal erectors or maybe trying to open the hips up. It's not part of strict sumo form.

b) lol! I dunno.

c) Just seems like a form of high pull. I'm not too knowledgeable in all the supplemental lifts that an olympic lifter will do to strengthen their lift, but this definately looks like a high pull you'd do to strengthen your clean.

Just checked that "tabata squat"

That definately is different from a hindu in the muscles it works. It appears very similar to a westside style box squat in that your hips, glutes, and hammies are doing the majorty of the work. The hip thrust is readily apparent if you are looking for it. That is the same motion (albiet overexaggerated) that would be used by sprinters, jumpers, power lifters, oly lifters, for generating power.

I'd just be careful about doing a high number of these in a row. It could impact the lower back andc internal organs. Specifically the kidneys.

fragbot
09-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
WTF part 2:

Click on the video called Tabata Squat. Um... yeah... I'm sure it's a good exercise but, um, yeah...

Anyone know if there are any advantages/disadvantages to doing these versus Hindu Squats? You stay flat footed in these and also look like you're humping something.

I thought it looked alot like a commonly taught variation of the Dai family squatting monkey exercise.

Anyhow, anyone else think the Tabata squat is functional training for a snap down?

fa_jing
09-24-2003, 09:28 AM
I've seen the videos before. The Tabata squat is a cardio-conditioning and fat loss exercise. I've heard good things about it. Correct, it is a bodyweight box squat.

The kettlebell video as I remember, had very incorrect form on the lift. The model is using his back extensors instead of the momentum from the hip snap to send the bell up high.

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 09:28 AM
I don't think so, but that's just me. :)

edit: talking about snap down practice, not fa-jing's post. The Tabata suqat actually looks similar to the lowerbody motion of a kettlebell snatch. (also a dimmel dl, romanian dl, dl, goodmorning, power squat, etc) See a theme here? :p

IronFist
09-24-2003, 10:59 AM
fa_jing said:
The kettlebell video as I remember, had very incorrect form on the lift. The model is using his back extensors instead of the momentum from the hip snap to send the bell up high.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. I saw some kettlebell stuff demonstrated a while ago but I couldn't remember it too well. I remember the hip snap, however. I think you are right.

Ford Prefect said:
I'd just be careful about doing a high number of these in a row. It could impact the lower back andc internal organs. Specifically the kidneys.

How could it affect the kidneys? Sounds like a TCM perspective.

All their squatting motions use a big ball to bounce off of. That doesn't look too good. What do you think the purpose of using the ball under their butt is?

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 11:14 AM
How could it affect the kidneys? Sounds like a TCM perspective.

Nope. This is from a western science/medicine perspective.

They would be bad especially when bouncing off something. When squatting that low and flat-footed, your lower back muscle will tighten (close to the kidneys) and the shock of stopping and going and especially if you bounce off something will be transferred directly to the kidneys.

This condition itself is called exercise-induced rhobdomyolysis (spelling). It is common in prison since prisoners will often do high rep body weight workouts while in their cell or to pay-up on bets. It will cause kidney damage, blood in the urine, etc. It has been studied quite extensively, and I'm suprised that nobody here has ever heard of this. The military and law enforcement/firefighters have all had to change their PT because of this.

FYI... Hindu squats are safe because you rock up on your toes thus relieving any stretch of your lower back muscles. The movement itself requires a degree of control so you must always control your decent more than some flat foot squat (especially where you just bounce off something).

Everybody, please keep researching exercises especially of you do them. You could be seriousless hurting yourself and not know it. Always know why you are doing what you're doing and how exactly it is effecting your body. Be safe!

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah. Another reason why you don't want to bounce if do rock-bottom squats. :)

IronFist
09-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect

Nope. This is from a western science/medicine perspective.

They would be bad especially when bouncing off something. When squatting that low and flat-footed, your lower back muscle will tighten (close to the kidneys) and the shock of stopping and going and especially if you bounce off something will be transferred directly to the kidneys.

But it's ok if you go slowly or pause, right?

This condition itself is called exercise-induced rhobdomyolysis (spelling). It is common in prison since prisoners will often do high rep body weight workouts while in their cell or to pay-up on bets.

Prisioners do high reps to pay up on bets?

It will cause kidney damage, blood in the urine, etc. It has been studied quite extensively, and I'm suprised that nobody here has ever heard of this.

Dude that sucks. I've never heard of that ever.

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Yup. No problems as long as you control the desent and don't bounce. This is seen often now and prisoners and was seen in the military because of the high-rep nature of the exercise there. They'd get to a point where they'd just be going fast on the desent and bouncing up, thus causing kidney damage. Didn't really look too safe in that tabata squat video.

BTW, since they don't have anything else to bet, inmates will often bet push-ups, squats, burpees, etc when making bets. A little jailhouse info for ya.

inic
09-24-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
since they don't have anything else to bet, inmates will often bet push-ups, squats, burpees, etc when making bets. A little jailhouse info for ya.

Hmmm, makes me want ot go to prison just to win any pullup bets going around heh

Ford Prefect
09-25-2003, 06:36 AM
Good luck bro. You better keep a razor blade in your corn hole! :p