PDA

View Full Version : Should I do shrugs?

IronFist
09-23-2003, 07:19 PM
I've never done shrugs as part of my routine (other than just messing around sometimes). As far as looks go, my traps are decently developed. I have a wide shoulder structure and I like the fact that my shoulders look wide and don't have that "drooped" look that some people with huge traps get when the traps go right to the edge of the shoulders. I don't like that.

So, sometimes when I start deadlifting after not doing it for a while I'll feel a little soreness in my shoulders the next day after the first workout, but that's it.

From a strength perspective, should I do shrugs? What purpose would stronger traps serve for me? Am I in danger of an injury cuz my traps are going to be proportionally weaker than the rest of me?

What do you think?

Serpent
09-23-2003, 09:01 PM
If you ignore any muscle or muscle group, you will have a weak link in your chain of strength.

Savagewolf
09-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Serpent is right. The thing about weak links, if your opponent finds out about it, you could be in for a long and painful night.

SanSoo Student
09-23-2003, 11:04 PM
I like to do Standing Upright Rows instead of shrugs.
I find that develops the trap muscles better for punching.
The shrug develops the upper traps for things like lifting/leverages (ex: in Judo or BJJ).

Serpent
09-23-2003, 11:14 PM
I'd recommend both, along with a regular row of some description.

Combined with pullups with various hand positions, that'll cover the upper back really well. Then military press of hand stand pushups and other shoulder exercises to target the delts and upper arms directly.

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Traps are an important component of a big squat. As you progress in squat weight, weak traps/upper back will cause you to plateau. Most people will just get stuck here forever because they only think the squat with legs, so that's what they will strengthen. The rest of the chain (abs, lower back, middle back, upper back, shoulders) need to be as strong as the legs in order to squat the higher weights.

fa_jing
09-24-2003, 09:37 AM
Don't bother with shrugs, do hang cleans instead with at least 135 pounds. More functional.

fa_jing
09-24-2003, 09:38 AM
oh, and try overhead squats, you'll like them. Start with low weight and work your way up.

Shaolin-Do
09-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Umm... shrugs actually work the muscles right to the lower outsides of your neck... (on your back)
So when you flex people can see your back muscles peeking up over your neck/shoulders..
Upright rows work traps and triceps very well, extroverted pull ups work traps well too. (with hands wider than a normal pull up).

IronFist
09-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Serpent said:
If you ignore any muscle or muscle group, you will have a weak link in your chain of strength.

Yeah, but I assume they get worked at least a little bit from my back and deadlifting workouts.

Savagewolf said:
Serpent is right. The thing about weak links, if your opponent finds out about it, you could be in for a long and painful night.

Yeah, um, I'm not sure how an opponent could use your weak traps to his advantage.

SanSoo Student said:
I like to do Standing Upright Rows instead of shrugs.

Yeah, standing upright rows work the deltoids better. But I'm trying to stay away from extra shoulder work, so I think shrugs would work for me.

I'll finish this post later. A computer repair guy just showed up...

to be continued.

IronFist
09-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Ford Prefect said:
Traps are an important component of a big squat. As you progress in squat weight, weak traps/upper back will cause you to plateau. Most people will just get stuck here forever because they only think the squat with legs, so that's what they will strengthen. The rest of the chain (abs, lower back, middle back, upper back, shoulders) need to be as strong as the legs in order to squat the higher weights.

I never thought about this before. I always assumed that in a squat the traps just provided a place to rest the weight. Since the traps lift the shoulders, how would this help you squat more? Or does it just work by irradation (or whatever Pavel calls it) that stronger trap contractions help contribute to the total amount of tension being generated?

fa_jing said:
oh, and try overhead squats, you'll like them. Start with low weight and work your way up.

How do overhead squats work the traps? The shoulders are down in overhead squats and the traps are disengaged, right?

Shaolin-Do said:
Umm... shrugs actually work the muscles right to the lower outsides of your neck... (on your back)

That is your trap.

Upright rows work traps and triceps very well, extroverted pull ups work traps well too. (with hands wider than a normal pull up).

Upright rows don't work triceps at all. Maybe you meant biceps or deltoids. Or maybe I don't know what an upright row is. But if it's the lifting motion I think it is, it doesn't work your triceps. What is an extroverted pullup?

Ok, done replying now.

Ford Prefect
09-24-2003, 11:32 AM
Hey Iron,

Your traps make up part of your posterior chain and are important for putting big numbers on the squat. Proper squatting technique you don't really rest the bar "on your" traps. That would be a "high-bar" squat but that puts the weight (the bar) out of line with your hips (the power plant) at the bottom of the movement. Powerlifters carry the bar a little lower and in order to do this you have to drive your head back into the bar which is a function of the traps, and the traps, shoulders, and rotators are pretty much statically contracted and need a boat load of strength as well.

fa_jing
09-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Well overhead squats work the entire back and core. You have to tense everything up to stablize the bar and when you are moving it is more. I can see how if you are pulling the bar apart it may deactivate your traps - though I'm not really convinced. Anyway I've been doing them with my kettlebells which have to be held directly overhead - the same effect could be acheived with dumbells. Give it a try by making OH squats your emphasis, your starting exercise for a single workout. Try 2 40 pound dumbells and do a set of 5 deep squats. See how it feels. You will need to tense your abs on the way down.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 08:37 AM
Ive always thought "wings" were traps?
What are your "wings" then?

abobo
09-26-2003, 08:53 AM
Um, look it up - it will be good for you.

Also, seems to me that raising your arms overhead involves the upper traps.

fa_jing
09-26-2003, 09:33 AM
SD: wings are your latissimus dorsi. Didn't want you to end up with blue cheese and celery sticks.

Adobo: correct, when you raise your humerus above parallel, the traps become engaged.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 11:08 AM
"wings are your latissimus dorsi. Didn't want you to end up with blue cheese and celery sticks."
So latissimus dorsi = lats? Its just one muscle?

"Didn't want you to end up with blue cheese and celery sticks."
:confused: ???

"um, look it up. it will be good for you."
Nah, Im lazy. Plan on taking A & P next semester.

Edit: Im not even sure what workouts did it, but I gots a hella chisled back. :D

IronFist
09-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Adobo: correct, when you raise your humerus above parallel, the traps become engaged.

You sure about that? Raise your arm but be sure to keep your shoulder down. Then, just to be sure it's relaxed, with your arm still in the air, raise your shoulder and then drop it back down.

Arm up. Trap relaxed.

I think most people just have a tendency to contract their traps when doing other thing, and that's why theirs contract when they raise their arms. You can raise the arm without it contracting, though. I just did.

yu shan
09-26-2003, 05:35 PM
I personally enjoy this exercise, and have differant variations. For those who shrug, do you use wraps? I do not, only because I train in Mantis KF, and the gripping strength helps. My friends that wrap seem to have an advantage in the size of the traps. Cleans are good, learned this from a huge friggen football player during off season. Umm, not that I watch the wrestling thing, have any of you seen this Goldberg dude? Looks like he has grapefruits in his traps!