PDA

View Full Version : did bruce lee smoke maryjane?

diz84
07-02-2001, 03:24 PM
this might be a stupid question, but my 2 friends said that bruce lee smoked pot, they said they saw this from watching one of bruce's documentries.
well they said bruce died of pot coz he was allegic to it or sumthin, can someone fill me in?"
and who here does get high?

d

Sil Lum Palm
07-02-2001, 04:34 PM
Actually Bruce didn't really smoke pot, he ate hashish, and lots from what I understand. Many people have admited it, even Joe Lewis was quoted as saying so in Davis Millers "Tao of Bruce Lee". They said Bruce would come to a party and pass out joints, be he himself normally ate Hashish or brownies. He really liked al the attention and he liked to see people have a good time. I understand that that was all he did but some think it may have been what killed him. Joe Lewis said that while Bruce was visiting his house that bruce had 1 small drink and became very ill because his body was so sensitive do to his rigourous training. Any time Bruce was subjected to alcohol, even a small bit, this happend. His family physician was interviewed by Davis Miller as well( whom I have personally talked to via the Bruce forum), and he said that on a previous occasion Bruce collapsed while eating hashish and they had to pump large amounts from stomach, it allmost killed him then. His Doctor told him he had an elergic reaction to the alkaline or something in the hashish and that if he did it again he could die. I'm not saying thats the complete truth but thats how many think he died, however I would never want to damage a good mans name. You can check out Davis Miller's "Tao of Bruce Lee" to see more on the subject, however the entire book isnt about Bruce Lee.

voodoocat
07-02-2001, 04:51 PM
There is not a single shred of evidence that anyone has ever died from marijuana. It cannot kill you directly. Things like lung cancer (which you cannot get from eating pot), or an increased heart rate causing heart attack are the only ways to tie maryjane with death.

Sil Lum Palm
07-02-2001, 05:35 PM
ALLERGIES is the key word here. It can kill you if you were to have an allergic reaction, however you wouldn't be dieing from the pot you'd be dead from allergies. I am not saying it's so, and in a way I support medical marijuana and all and I agree it doesn't cause much harm, but to sit back and say it CAN'T happen is ignorant. I don't believe Mr. Miller would have made up any quotes he got from Bruce's doctor, but who knows??
I was just giving a theory.. either way we can say that , yes, I believe Bruce may have used cannabis for recreational purposes.

BAI HE
07-02-2001, 08:10 PM
the reaction to the hash caused his brain to swell.

voodoocat
07-02-2001, 10:07 PM
I've yet to hear about an allergic reaction to pot that caused death, but that would not surprise me. People can die from allergic reactions peanuts, that's crazy!

I seriously doubt that Bruce died from an allergic reaction. It doesn't sound like he had any prior issues with ganja, which is what I base my opinion on.

I would have loved to passed the brownie dish to Bruce ;-)

Raimondo
07-03-2001, 08:45 PM
I heard that he took skunk (a much stronger form of weed) before he died. Some old people have died from smoking skunk, because it is much stronger (sometimes laced with crack or LSD), and their frail bodies cannot handle it. As a result, skunk is classed as 'A' drug (by authorities) in the UK, while normal weed is class B.
There are some rare forms of cannabis resin that are pure THC (the chemical that produces the effects). He may have wanted something stronger, as the body develops a resistance after prolonged use. As a result, he may have inadvertantly killed himself.

Kong Jianshen
07-03-2001, 11:22 PM
When I found out that Bruce used to do the hashish I remember thinkin.. Wow! Thats funny. But not shocking, im sure he didnt drink or smoke ciggerettes or anything of the sort. Almost everyone has to have SOME way to catch a buzz on occasion and keep the sanity I belive. Whether u want to use the many ciggerette smoking Kung Fu masters a example, or the Saki loving Karate masters, or Sakuraba himself and his drinking, you have it everywhere. Anything in life that is done without moderation will hurt you. Thats the bottom line. Hell, Kung Fu students used to compare styles and technqiues at night at Opium Houses in days of old.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Nietzsche

Kong Jianshen
07-03-2001, 11:24 PM
And I might get flamed for this, but I dont give a ****.

"I would have loved to passed the brownie dish to Bruce ;-)"

HAHAHHA VOODOO, you my friend, ARE NOT ALONE ;)

Sil Lum Palm
07-04-2001, 12:55 AM
Skunk is not laced with anything. Its a strain of cannibas thats all. Its not a different frug, it is just usually like the stuff found in Amsterdam. I just had to get that across. I still don't condon any drug use

Sil Lum Palm
07-04-2001, 12:57 AM
my god shoot me for the spelling

fiercest tiger
07-04-2001, 04:57 AM
BRUCE was a known heroin, speed user and took acid at parties!

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Raimondo
07-04-2001, 07:22 PM
Posted by Sil Lum Palm

Skunk is not laced with anything. Its a strain of cannibas thats all. Its not a different drug, it is just usually like the stuff found in Amsterdam. I just had to get that across. I still don't condon any drug use

Different forms of skunk you come across CAN be laced with other substaces. Skunk laced with LSD is known as 'ginger beard', and skunk laced with crack is generally known as 'white widow'

shaolinboxer
07-04-2001, 08:16 PM
Allergic reaction to Equagesic, a migraine medication.

Poor ******* had killer migraines. No wonder he ate pot.

wujidude
07-04-2001, 11:28 PM
Raimondo:

>Different forms of skunk you come across CAN be laced with other substaces. Skunk laced with LSD is known as 'ginger beard', and skunk laced with crack is generally known as 'white widow' <

I wonder what they lace "White Eyebrow" skunk with . . . ;- )

Mojo
07-05-2001, 07:11 PM
Wow, doing hashish with Bruce would be the coolest thing !
not that I'd need the excuse.

Grappling-Insanity
07-08-2001, 02:35 AM
My god thats some of the dumbest things I've ever heard. White Widow is actually a dutch strain with large amounts of THC, its highly visible crystals give it the name white widow.

And you dont get anything out of smoking acid/LSD. If any1 were to lace it with weed I would laugh at the *******.

Skunk is not really a different drug its just a different strain. And there are many different strains of skunk. Any1 who would lace weed with crack and call it White Widow is a hurtin B!tch. Any1 dumb enuf to buy it as White Widow is a dumb@$$.

JiuKaiMan
07-08-2001, 11:52 PM
His Wing Chun Master, Yip Man, was a known Opium addict. Perhaps he got bruce into the world of drugs.

omegapoint
07-09-2001, 03:19 AM
Fact: no one has EVER died from an allergic reaction or overdose of Cannabis. Bruce would be the first, EVER!!! Latex has killed more people from allergic reactions, so be careful when you get Buck-Whyl'!!! Your body will fall asleep before you can smoke more. It doesn't even work on the Dopaminergic or Seritonergic system like most drugs do. It utilizes Anandamide receptors (a subset of endorphins) and the receptors are neither propagated or altered/destroyed. That's why no withdrawals and cravings. Alcohol and tobacco kill more people each year than all illicit drugs COMBINED! The reasons for Prohibition and the War on the civilian populace is purely ECONOMIC. Dow-Corning and Dupont early in the 20th century didn't want the competition from the Hemp industry, so they paid the Government to outlaw it! Hemp (Cannabis Sativa) can be made into textiles, oils, plastics, rubbers, nutritious foods, and all in an environmentally conscious way. After all growing hemp plants puts OXYGEN back into the atmosphere!

As for the research: The Canadian NIDA did research on indigenous weed smokers in the Caribbean. It was called "Ganja In Jamaica" and they found no significant difference in mentation and physical health betwween the users and nonusers on the island. They did notice some decreased (very slight) respiratory )2 saturation in the long-term heavy users but attributed it to the TOBACCO they mixed with their weed. The short-term memory tests performed in fact showed INCREASED short-term memory capability in most of the test subjects. The argument that weed causes brain-damage came from this Petroleum/Pharmaceutical Co. financed researcher. I forget his name but I think it was Dr. NATAS (jj). In a published study he gave the results of force-inhaled weed candidates (intubated Rhesus Monkeys-tube in the lungs) as significant for brain damage. What the review panel didn't question was his use of a dangerous imaging procedure called a pneumoencephalogram, that enatils "inflating" the ventricles of the brain with air. This procedure is no longer used due to the fact that it causes massive brain tissue damage. He also used a dose equivalent of 100 joints continuously, without rest, for over 8 hrs, straight! Inhaling the amount of paper alone, required to roll the joint would probably give you brain damage from the Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

The Gateway argument would never hold up in court or win a debate compettition, because it asserts a very faulty cause-n-effect relationship that can be applied to assumptions only. In that case living or loud music can lead to parties, which lead to exposure... you get my drift (I hope).

These wolves don't care about you common rabble. You're just batteries to make their wishes for power and prestige come true. Why don't they outlaw skydiving and rockclimbing? They have killed and injured WAY more people than cannabis ever did or will (except for the fatalities of a contrived Drug Civil War). How about abortion? It's cut short the possibility of another Einstein or Buddha being born a Million+ times over. If you are gonna let people do what they want with their bodies you can't pick and choose; Unless you have some ulterior motive(s).

The long-term respiratory effects of burning vegetative matter could be a prob, but cigarettes and cigars which HAVE killed millions and cost our nation millions in healthcare (as well as alcohol-work in a hospital you see what I mean) are legal. Plus, there are vaporizers now that make consumption smoke-free, and deliver almost pure THC. Just because you're emotionally attached to an argument DOESN't make it a non-animalistic logical one. Don't let reality treat you like sheep to be herded and commanded what to eat, believe, and when to do it.

Do the research see if I'm telling you the truth. Even scientific research can be manipulated or slanted to project the researchers intentions or biases. As an example, many of the recent Harvard studies don't take into account the Premorbidity involved with drug users (prior drug use, head trauma, etc.). I don't have any AGENDA. Those who control the world do. And yes, control and money more often than not, counts for more than illusionary freedom or people on the whole.

So, most likely Bruce had an allergic reaction to some Chinese folk-remedy that caused brain swelling. Remember that Tom Gugliotta (Phoenix Suns) had a seizure and almost died 2 yrs. ago from consuming an OTC Chinese concoction. Open your eyes, all 3, and start interpreting for yourself. Lead don't follow (especially evil idiots). Peace, Unity, love and Havin' Fun!!!! :)

omegapoint
07-09-2001, 03:30 AM
The paragraph about the Canadian study should read ".. decreased respiratory O2 saturation..."

And to set the record straight there are over 150 strains of Cannabis Sativa/Afghanica, and the higher the THC content, the better it is for the cosumer physically (less is consumed). Mary Jane is the number 1 cash crop in the U.S., and the gov. should regulate to get the tax from it! There is a strain called "White Widow" and most people are referring to the hybrid "Original Skunk #1" when talking about "skunk" weed. Weed mixed with coke or crack is NOT called "White Widow" but is referred to as "Primo". Why would you adulterate perfectly natural and pure Cannabis with CIA/DEA pushed coke and crack? Besides where is Crack now after the Reagan-Bush Era? Makes you wonder, or it should!!! :cool:

dunbarj01
07-09-2001, 05:54 AM
Voodoocat,

Actually, hashish can kill you directly. During the 1800's, when the French began a deep interest in Arab culture and North Africa, experiments were conducted with hasish. It was determined that hashish was lethal if one consumed something in the vacinity of 500 grams for an average sized adult. Considering the availability of 500 grams of hashish, it's not surpising that deaths from this material are uncommon.

Cheers.

fiercest tiger
07-09-2001, 06:29 AM
makes me sleeeeeeeeeeeeep! ;)

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

diz84
07-09-2001, 03:52 PM
yo its sounds like everyone here in this forum does drugs here... !!!!!!!!
i was just wondering did bruce and yipman used ta smoke after training? nah jus playin
ne wayz check some marijuana myths in www.marijuana.com (http://www.marijuana.com)
the real facts

d

voodoocat
07-09-2001, 05:19 PM
In what amount of time?

"The ratio of cannabinoids (the chemicals in marijuana that make you stoned) necessary for overdose to the amount necessary for intoxication is 40,000:1 [1]. For comparison's sake, that ratio for alcohol is generally between 4:1 and 10:1"

You would pass out before you could consume enough THC to kill yourself.

ASIANARTIST
07-09-2001, 07:03 PM
Supposedly Bruce Lee was at the house of his female co-star for his latest movie when he died. She gave him a couple of downers which he took, then died.

shaolinboxer
07-09-2001, 09:05 PM
He died from an allergic reaction to a pain killer called Equagesic. Look it up.

Watchman
07-10-2001, 12:14 AM
>>>His Wing Chun Master, Yip Man, was a known Opium addict.<<<

I keep seeing this "fact" pop up time and again, but there never seems to be any documentation.

Ip Man's own family seem to think otherwise.

Yes, he hung out with students and drank tea at "smoke shops" that also happened to offer opium on the menu. Does me going to a restaurant, that also happens to serve alchohol on the menu, to hang out with friends and ordering grape juice mean I'm all of a sudden a "known alchoholic"?

Just curious about where this information comes from.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

One is weak because he makes preparation against others;
he has strength because he makes others prepare against him.
-- Sun-Tzu

UberShaman
07-10-2001, 01:37 AM
He did steroids too but who cares. He did smoke in the beggining but switched to the brownies because he was afraid of losing his wind while running. Raimondo you are an idiot.

Black Jack
07-11-2001, 12:46 AM
The only one that seems to make anysense in how he died is Lyle for ****s end!

Bruce never did steriods, where can one find this information, just bogus myths.

What book, article, where, when????

Regards

IronFist
07-11-2001, 01:02 AM
Bruce used steroids, eh? I doubt that. Where did you get that info? Uber, what kind of roids did he use?

Personally I don't think Bruce ate enough for any steroids he may have taken to have any effect anyway.

I could be wrong tho.

Iron

The Heritic
07-11-2001, 01:46 AM
a lot of people look to bruce as a hero figure...

(little kid 1) wow! bruce lee eats hash!! i wanna b just like him!

hmmn, next thing ya know bruce lee is getting some major beef for getting the kids into drugs....=P

we are the wakeful, wry, and watchful -a.f.i

OdderMensch
07-11-2001, 01:51 AM
Buce was a college student in the late 50's/early 60's right? I mean what are the odds that an early 60's college student in california smoked, ate or in anyway used mary jane? Think people. :D

And he sudied philosphy!

I have also been told that Yip Man was an opiom addict. I would like to see some proof but so what if he was, he had good kung fu and he taught bravely.

I dont belive peolple who say they "dont use drugs" its just to ingraned in our culture.

UberShaman
07-11-2001, 07:18 AM
Its in one of his biographys
Unsettled Matters: The Life and Death of Bruce Lee. Beeckler, Tom (1996) , but remember they were legal at the time and bruce believed bodybuilders were on the cutting edge of training.Its nothing against the man he was just trying to do everything he could to improve performance

Primobolan acetate and deca from what i understand, He also took diaretics to get cut up for films. He didnt eat enough to get big but they would have allowed him to recover very well and hold onto his muscle mass while borderline overtraining like he did.

IronFist
07-14-2001, 10:44 PM
Uber, yeah steroids would have allowed him to recover faster. I never considered that in my previous post.

Iron

Losttrak
07-14-2001, 11:31 PM
Most of the books/poetry we read in school are written by addicts of some sort or another.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

tnwingtsun
07-16-2001, 09:27 AM
"His Wing Chun Master, Yip Man, was a known Opium addict. Perhaps he got bruce into the world of drugs"

Alot of Sifus hung out at those dens,it was a common gathering place back in those days,not the crack house junkies you see today.

Police,judges,doctors ect.,ect. had daily chit-chat sessions at the dens/teahouses,Opium cost alot of money even then,how many times do you drink a 700$ bottle of wine? http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/cheers.gif
And if Yip Man was a junkie and was still strong in his 80's then pass it on this way!!

Ford Prefect
07-16-2001, 05:05 PM
Bruce definately smoked pot. As it was stated before, Tom Bleeker wrote about this in his biography of Bruce Lee. The Lee estate threatened a law suit, but Tom happily produced doctors' records and notes from visits with Bruce that have Bruce admitting to smoking pot. Needless to say, the Lee estate didn't pursue the matter. It was the 60's... Everybody smoked back then.

LeiWulong
07-26-2001, 03:31 PM
everybody did it. it was the 60's!

Nexus
08-01-2001, 07:31 PM
the truth. Why make a big deal of it anyways, it wasn't illegal then. In fact, in Alaska they are having a vote to legalize it for 2002. Crazy?

- Nexus

Freedom is what you do with what is done to you. - Sartres

OdderMensch
08-02-2001, 10:38 AM
It was illegal then, just as it is illegal now. It just wasn't as harshly punnished back then. It's a crazy world when in the land of the free I can't grow certain plants, beaacuse they are "too deadly"

Good luck to Alaska, but the real game is in DC. MJ crimes are federal crimes.

Sharky
08-02-2001, 12:54 PM
he mighta done pot - but steroids? i doubt that. i am not awake of any steriods that don't build muscle mass??? correct me if i'm wrong pls.

My anus is superiorâ„¢

Nexus
08-02-2001, 07:57 PM
It is not recommended that you do any drugs that are detrimental to your short term memory! It can be difficult to learn forms as it is, but forgetting them between the time you are at your dojo and the time you get home is just sad :p

- Nexus

Freedom is what you do with what is done to you. - Sartres

Kong Jianshen
08-05-2001, 06:16 AM
"And if Yip Man was a junkie and was still strong in his 80's then pass it on this way!! "

HELL YEA ;) hahaha

Lost_Disciple
08-05-2001, 06:40 AM
Sharky
It's a matter of looking into the science behind steroids. Yes, it's possible to roid out, get stronger, get more cut, and not put on more weight. There are so many factors that can manipulate how that added testosterone can affect your body, such as diet, your genetics & metabolism, your exercise routine, sleep & rest schedule, your stress level, etc etc etc. I don't think Bruce's diet had enough protein to encourage growth; hypothesizing that he actually took steroids. I think his stress and sleep schedule were such that his muscles weren't having a heck of a lot of time to recouperate and get bigger (just merely enough to gain strength & not be sore anymore). I don't think Bruce's workout routine encouraged hypertrophy and muscle growth. Bruce was a naturally skinny guy, with decent muscle tone even when he first came to the states. I'm assuming he was a mezomorph or a steroid user after looking at the results of his first 6 month workout program

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

Wongsifu
08-07-2001, 12:55 AM
this is the baddest thread on the forum in ages, Im shocked so many of you guys know about stuff like white widow skunk!!! but what shocks me even more is that you guys actually know details about what endorphines different drugs affect , some sick weirdo's we got on this forum.
Having said all that i can understand why those old masters smoked all that opium, if you pratised for 14 hours a day and stood in horse stance for 4 you would need some of that stuff to sort yourself out after and before training.
Besides ever smoked a joint before tai chi , it makes your fa jing knock walls down, erm not that i know,.

I AM THE OFFICIAL KUNG FU TROLL FROM NOW UNTIL I GET BANNED AHAHAHAHHA...MWAHAHAHAHAH.HEHEHEHE <insert evil laugh here>

Seeker of the Way
08-12-2001, 06:27 PM
Get a grip, Sil Lum Palm.

LSD cannot stand high temperatures, and is totally destroyed by heat, thus, it cannot be smoked (despite **** persistant rumors about it). White widow is just a skunk strain that is very strong, I believe.

And as for the crack, there are only 5 confirmed reports (note: confirmed) of pot or hash laced with smoking heroin in all of america, and none in central europe.

Cannabis in all forms, isn't lethal in itself.

SotW,
Kungfuonline.com's resident drug encyclopedia :D

"I know Kung Fu."

diz84
08-17-2001, 03:47 PM
i got qi from the tree when i was high the other night. It was mad, you can meditate better when you are high

d

Silumkid
08-20-2001, 12:53 AM
I will try to remember the article in which I read this but there is an interview with Bruce where he claims that he did weed a few times but "didn't like it because of the way it made things so exaggerated". If I can find it again, I'll let you know the source.

Amitabha!

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!