PDA

View Full Version : is it possible?

Saber32
09-24-2003, 03:37 PM
i was looking in a magazine my friend gave me and in it there was an article on a tai chi master using qi projection to disbalance the opponent's dan tian (i think thats how you spell it) and evidently by doing this the person fell to the ground or lost his footing. i was just wondering if that is at all even possible. the opinion of some one who knows more about qi and its properties would be helpful....i also saw various people do a no touch knock out or something, is that also possible?

Judge Pen
09-24-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm skeptical. I won't beleive in anything that esoteric until I experience it for myself.

You are starting off on this forum on the right foot. :) The trolls will love this.

David Jamieson
09-24-2003, 04:25 PM
blind tests reveal this to be false.

a student of someone will adhere to the whole "appearance" but this cannot be demonstrated in a blind test.

There are even people who are offering scads of money to anyone who can demonstrate this ability.

However, fear is quite debilitating and may be the foundational idea behind this. If one can sense and play upon the opponents fear, it is possible to "psyche" the opponent and they in turn -drop- their defences and become weak.

similar to how one is induce to vomit when observing another person vomiting. Some people are so sensitive to stimuli that becomes negative for them that even to think of something like that makes them queasy.

so, there are many variables regarding this phenomemna. Is it realetd to chi blasting? Dunno, after all, what exactly is chi blasting to begin with? perhaps it is exactly the manipulation and exploitation of those factors mentioned above...and more :D

cheers

Shaolin-Do
09-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Kung lek is just in denial since I chi blasted his dog.

turbo76
09-24-2003, 06:02 PM
:)

Brad
09-24-2003, 11:17 PM
huh? :confused:

Frank Exchange
09-25-2003, 01:19 AM
I have always thought, based on nothing other than my own ideas, that the urge to vomit when others do is probably an evolved behaviour.

As we used to live in small, close-knit tribes and communities, it is likely that all of the group would have shared the same food. If one person becomes ill due to food poisoning and starts to vomit, it makes sense for everyone else who has eaten the food to get rid the poisons too.

Now, as for why yawning is contagious, I have no idea, probably more of a social behaviour...

The chi-blast thing cannot be shown to happen under controlled conditions. Doesnt stand up to scrutiny.

However, interestingly, James Randi (of the $1 Million challenge) has stated that a preliminary report from the Yellow Bamboo MA in Bali (who claim the ability to knock people over without touching them) shows that there might be something to it. Watching with interest...

Repulsive Monkey
09-25-2003, 02:19 AM
Short and sweet answer is yes, but not always, and it's applications for martial arts is not great. It depedns on many factors to get it to be martial proficienct and cutting down on the fasctors for it to effect many as opposed to a few takes 3 lifetimes to perfect, and then you have to examine the motives of an individual who goes chasing this facet of Qi manipulation, thats why on a softer scale it is used more for healing.

The quote that has just been made that generalises over not standing up under scrutiny and doesn't work under controlled conditions has just shot itself in the leg by then going on to say that Randi (the most unscientific fraudster around) has reason to maybe consider accepting the claim.

Which is it to be Frank exchange, don't sit on the fence?

Again as a martial art in itself which some people like to teach it as, there are more dependable ways to fight, although in certain conditions it certainly can be used on some people, I myself was knocked down over a 10 foot distance by a Grand Master of Yang style Taiji I was onced studying under a few years ago. However as a non-invasive healing technique it makes more sense with.

However the experience of it is whats needed and I do mean repeated experience to decide how you feel about it, and even then how you feel about it may not be enough to validify it anyway unless you understand what the actual process is and how it (supposedly) works.

However please, like everything in life, have an open mind.

Frank Exchange
09-25-2003, 07:27 AM
>> The quote that has just been made that generalises over not standing up under scrutiny and doesn't work under controlled conditions has just shot itself in the leg by then going on to say that Randi (the most unscientific fraudster around) has reason to maybe consider accepting the claim.

Which is it to be Frank exchange, don't sit on the fence? <<

I base my viewpoint, like Mr. Randi, on scientific evidence.

All the evidence up to now shows that the ability does not exist under controlled, scientific conditions. Whenever it has been tested, it fails.

Based on that evidence, I therefore personally doubt that it will ever shown to exist, however, I think it reasonable to change my mind if the evidence suddenly shows the opposite. I don't hold to a particular world view which I am unable to change, if the evidence shows it should be changed.

Randi, (who is not involved in any of the paranormal tests other than helping to design the protocol, as I think you have been told before, and is in no way a fraudster), has recently sent a representative to Bali for a preliminary investigation of the Yellow Bamboo claims. All that has been currently reported is that someone indeed fell to the floor during a test. That is all. It may turn out to be something, it may not.

If it turns out to be true, it is immensely exciting, as a force hitherto unknown to science will have been shown to exist. Why would I or Randi not be interested in this?

Does this viewpoint make me a fence sitter, or just someone with an open mind?

MasterKiller
09-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Was this article about Rich Mooney, perhaps?

David Jamieson
09-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Here's a thought.

if you believe it exists, then for you, it does exist.

if you do not believe it exists, then for you, it does not exist.

all physical truths aside, the rest is just an illusion.

Nothing is real, strawberry fields forever...

cheers

Ford Prefect
09-25-2003, 08:18 AM
This is real. Very real. So real that it has in fact made it's way to Hollywood. Remember Lord of the Rings 1 when Sauron and Gandlaf were brawling and one wave of the staff would send the other guy flying? Where do you think they got that idea from?

MasterKiller
09-25-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
Here's a thought.

if you believe it exists, then for you, it does exist.

if you do not believe it exists, then for you, it does not exist.

all physical truths aside, the rest is just an illusion.

Nothing is real, strawberry fields forever...

cheers KL, have you been reading my signature again?:D

Black Jack
09-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Short and sweet. Its bullcrap. Don't be a putz and be swindled into the conman's bag of mystical martial tricks. Spend your time in reality and don't let your time get stolen by this junk and its pushers. There are no secrets, no jedi mind blasts, no displacement from a distance, no magical slow movements that heal cancer or make you immune to steel.

The only secret is hard work. People will lie and tell you otherwise because they are nerds who want to feel special.

bamboo_ leaf
09-25-2003, 10:09 AM
“I myself was knocked down over a 10 foot distance by a Grand Master of Yang style Taiji I was once studying under a few years ago. However as a non-invasive healing technique it makes more sense with.”

Hi RM,

I think a better idea would be to describe what it felt like. As for explaining things or defining things can some one look up the definition of gravity? and explain it?

Each of us plays CMA for different rezones, yes people should be skeptical. But on the other hand not so long ago if you said hey I could brake this brick with my bare hand most would have laughed. Others might have said, boards and bricks don’t fight back what good is it.

Ray Pina
09-25-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't rule anything out just because I haven't seen it. When I see this sort of thing in the magazines, my first response is that the guy probbaly runs a few adds with the book so he can get away with crazy claims and I doubt that it is not a matter of students cooperating on a conscious or unconscious level.

With that said, I just finished reading Steal My Art about Master TT Liang and this was brought up, how he met an old Taoits that could do it. The rest of the book he seamed pretty practical, so it made me think, "hhmmm."

For me, there is still much to learn in the tangible department. Even concerning Dim Mak my master asks how easy is it to hit a certain point on a man fighting back, but has showed me a few places to strike that "cause a lot of damage ... be careful."

Maybe as I learn more and our relationship grows over the years I'll learn and see more. This "no touch" thing seems to be the highest level -- haven't heard of anything above it yet, except immortality (haven't ruled that out either. Know it sounds crazy but if you can't even visualize it how could you believe, and how could you obtain something you deny) -- but I'll keep my eye out for it.

Water Dragon
09-25-2003, 10:27 AM
I can knock you down from a distance without touching you. And I am willing to do it to anyone who signs a waiver.

Now where did I put my S&W .40?

Black Jack
09-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Everybody knows that a gong fu master can catch bullets with his teeth. That is if you have the glow.

Who is the master?

Shonuff!!!!!

bamboo_ leaf
09-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Ha ha, ;)

A true story that happened while I was in Thailand.

A man was bought to the judge by 2 people, one of them was shot by the man.

Tattoos in Thailand have a speacle significance and are thought to give people powers. Weather you believe this or not, they do.

Any way both men had the tattoos and where testing them out by having a small 22 fired at them. One was shot the other wasn’t injured.

The guy shot was pressing charges. The judge asked the one who made the tattoos what happened. He said “ any fool knows that you shouldn’t have sex before a test of this kind”

A true story, the land of thai, i really miss it every now and then.

GeneChing
09-25-2003, 11:00 AM
I did an article on this subject last year in our Jul/Aug 2002 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=234). I challenged master Leon Jay to try and knock me out with qi. Read the article and you'll find out what happened.

FWIW, Leon Jay is the son of Wally Jay, founder of small circle jujitsu (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/b16-462h.html). I have great respect for Leon's skills as a martial artist, irregardless of his no touch knockout claims. Check out his fulcrum activation DVD (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/dvdlj001.html), it's good honest combat stuff, and he does some fine 'touch' knock outs on that vid.

Former castleva
09-25-2003, 11:35 AM
Sabre32,
Rationally minded call this suggestion,which is a great power indeed.Not that it is all there is,but should you take a careful look,you may find various much less dramatic,but believable reasons for why something goes as it does.

turbo76
09-25-2003, 12:01 PM

Judge Pen
09-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Gene, I couldn't open the article from that link.

MasterKiller
09-25-2003, 12:14 PM
You'll have to buy the back-issue to read the article. The online article from that issue is Wu Song Breaks Manacles (Wu Song Tuo Kao).

Chang Style Novice
09-25-2003, 12:17 PM
There is no such word as "irregardless." What would it mean - not without regard?

"Regardless" is sufficient.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Non-un-anti-irregardlessly,
Austin.

MasterKiller
09-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Judge Pen
09-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Word geeks. :p

I used to use irregardless in briefs, but the partner I was writing the brief for kept editing it out. Next time, I'll just quote webster on his azz! I'll be on the fast track for patner then!

Chang Style Novice
09-25-2003, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't do that - read the last three words in that M-W.com entry:

"USE REGARDLESS INSTEAD"!

D@mnit.

Shaolin-Do
09-25-2003, 01:07 PM
"USE REGARDLESS INSTEAD"
use what regardless instead of what?
:p

Ray Pina
09-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Bunch of God **** nitpickers on this board. In the past two days I've misused "there" and "their" and spelled crawl, "croll" ... and I'm an editor!

But a nwe strdy hs recenly shwn as lohg as teh ferst or lqst letors ore im the propr plece peeple reed ti roght anywhy.

Chang Style Novice
09-25-2003, 01:33 PM
It's nothing personal. As you say, I'm a nitpicker.

PS: "God****ed" ;)

apoweyn
09-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
Bunch of God **** nitpickers on this board. In the past two days I've misused "there" and "their" and spelled crawl, "croll" ... and I'm an editor!

But a nwe strdy hs recenly shwn as lohg as teh ferst or lqst letors ore im the propr plece peeple reed ti roght anywhy.

As if we editors aren't undervalued enough as is. [sigh]

Ming Yue
09-30-2003, 03:16 PM
nice.

Another trolly thread brought down by etymology and a searing type A personality.

I'm glad I was here to see it.
:D

Starchaser107
09-30-2003, 03:28 PM
linguistic-fu.

but what is a "type-A" personality?

Ming Yue
09-30-2003, 03:44 PM
someone with peeves who nitpicks.

General personality types were broken down by someone at some point (probably in the 70s). Type A is your ambitious, detail oriented type, and type B is your less driven, go-with-the-flow type.

If I was a smidge more type A, I would go look up the name of the person who developed the idea.