PDA

View Full Version : Recommended san shou gear

KC Elbows
09-25-2003, 06:44 AM
What gear do you folk recommend?

lkfmdc
09-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Head gear, without a question get the "fight gear" head gear that Ringside sells, with open face and chin strap.

Shin guards for training; Any Thai brand (there are a number of them), Fairtex, or Ringside has a decent pair that is cheaper

We sometimes use Addidas TKD shin and instep guards when your shins get conditioned

I recommend a Thai steel cup, just in case :0

"WIPPS" or "shock doctor" mouth piece will prevent dain bramage

Suntzu
09-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Get good headgear... a decent pair of boxing gloves... handwraps of course.... a good pair of shin/insteps(u WILL bash shins/kness ALOT) and some comfortable shorts....

other stuff u might want... thai pads... a good heavy bag...

KC Elbows
09-25-2003, 06:59 PM
What brand of gloves do you recommend?

Also, for training, who makes good mats?

Water Dragon
09-25-2003, 08:15 PM
You don't need mats. Just learn to fall correctly ya da.mn MO wussy

Jowbacca
09-26-2003, 06:53 AM
This thread might help (just cuz I'm egotistical like that):
http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24597

Ringside's online store also ain't bad.

Currently wearing the cotton instep & shin guards with the 2-tone kung fu booties from martialartsmart.com when I spar; just cuz i'm sick of screwin up my feet.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:01 AM
"head gear that Ringside sells, with open face and chin strap."
Yeah, is good, but my SC group down here was having problems with peoples noses getting broke, so we got the headgear with the bar that goes across the nose.
:)

lkfmdc- do you guys wear the sh!t on the chest too?

Edit: one of my buddies had a MA school go down the drain (poor teachers, doing bad things) And hes going to sell me all his equipment DIRT cheap... Im talkin like 100$ per 6x'12'x2" mats, and none of the stuff is more than 2 months old. :)

lkfmdc
09-26-2003, 07:05 AM
"Yeah, is good, but my SC group down here was having problems with peoples noses getting broke, so we got the headgear with the bar that goes across the nose."

Dude, hate to be brutally direct but your guys need to learn to block punches with something other than their faces!!!! Keep your hands up and move your head. All a face gear headgear does is make you think it's ok to get punched there.....

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:07 AM
Nah, kirks just too bad of a man for us yet. Its like your new students trying to hands up with you.
Edit: My nose hasnt got broke yet, but I arrived post barfaced headgear.
We dont wear shin guards, or chest protectors. Just gloves, headgear, mouthpiece, and wrestling shoes.

Suntzu
09-26-2003, 07:15 AM
uuuuuuugh... i hate THAT headgear.... thats just asking to get bopped..... i have the Competition Fight Gear.... i luv it...

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:19 AM
Or just go no headgear... open hand shots to face only, closed fist to body with moderate contact...
:eek:

Water Dragon
09-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Recent statement durting a conversation with Kirk:

"Yeah, Gene didn't want to go with the throw at first, that's how he got his arm broken. He's much better now."

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Yeah, genes left elbow still gives him trouble occasionally, but my shoulder gives me trouble so were all good and even.
:D

Water Dragon
09-26-2003, 07:26 AM
Do you know what throw broke the arm? Was it cracking?

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:32 AM
Jesus... I keep forgetting the names.
They throw a punch, you block, lock their elbow, and pull them at their elbow while reaping.

Water Dragon
09-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Yup, that's cracking alright. Hurts like a sumnabyatch

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Kirk was doing some nasty versions of neck surrounding the other night that involved turning my head at funny angles that would break an unknowing opponents neck quite easy...

Water Dragon
09-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Has he shown you how to break a leg at the knee off a bowling break yet?

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:41 AM
Erm... i know a few one legged leg breaks... Which one are you talking about?
My favorite was actually shown to me by Beitanglang(thanks dude :) ), basically the same as marching, knee to knee, except your foot wraps the outside of their achilles (sp?) instead of the inside.

Water Dragon
09-26-2003, 07:59 AM
You know how to do a hip throw, right? And you know that instead of going for the hip throw you can drive the leg back into a forward stance and pull them over your hip, right? Well, you can place that leg back so it traps their leg right above the knee and as you throw them, their leg can't move so it snaps the leg.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 08:09 AM
hehehe... filthy. Melikes.
He has shown me a whole lot, but I still havent learned much.
Only "know" forward marching, forward marching kicking, forward marching backward kicking, cracking, diagonal pulling, neck surrounding, and chopping.