PDA

View Full Version : UFC 44: Undisputed - Ortiz vs Couture - Friday 9/26 10PM EST Live on Pay-per-view!!

truewrestler
09-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Here is the preview at Sherdog.com:

http://sherdog.com/articles/ufc44preview/ufc44preview_01.htm

truewrestler
09-25-2003, 11:15 AM
ShaolinTiger00, I haven't replied to your email yet. You are of course invited to watch at my place.

Ford Prefect
09-25-2003, 11:21 AM
I like Randy. He's pretty old though.

truewrestler
09-25-2003, 01:22 PM
ttt

ShaolinTiger00
09-25-2003, 01:29 PM
TW,

Thanks for the generous offer, but the Mrs. and I have already made plans.

Tito vs. Randy - your pick to win?

truewrestler
09-25-2003, 01:59 PM
I'll take Tito but I'm rooting for Randy :D

Taomonkey
09-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Tito was on the Tonight Show last week, beating up Ryan Seacrest (American Idol host) whish was very fun to watch, but Ryan made it a little gay, which couldnt be helped since Ryan is a full on gay.
Jay is going to be at the fight and place teh championship belt arount Tito.

truewrestler
09-25-2003, 02:16 PM
I saw video of the Tonight Show segment/appearance and it was hilarious.

Here is video of Tito's appearance later that night on Carson Daly's show:

http://www.pookieheads.com/stuff/TitoonCarson.wmv

ShaolinTiger00
09-25-2003, 02:25 PM
TW, I'll wager a 5 spot on Randy... ;)

*to avenge my missed opporitunity @ the last Pride*

if you're not chicken!:p

truewrestler
09-25-2003, 02:29 PM
5 it is :)

truewrestler
09-26-2003, 06:05 AM
ttt

Jowbacca
09-26-2003, 06:56 AM
Suntzu

Wanna watch this thing?
Should we ask Julio?
We should be able to find a bar with it worst case scenario.

Suntzu
09-26-2003, 07:02 AM
:cool:

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:05 AM
Yes, my high definition telivision will be broadcasting the aforementioned program to my alcohol soaked, inebriated person, and a few others.
:cool: :cool:

truewrestler
09-26-2003, 07:45 AM
We should be able to find a bar with it worst case scenario.

Here is the official list from the UFC website www.ufc.tv

http://www.ufc.tv/articles/news/articleFull.asp?articleMainID=110

I see you guys are in Maryland. Here is the listing on the page:

Maryland:

Coliseum Sports Bar - ****eyville, MD (edit: that's C0ckeyville, MD)

Cornerstone Grill - College Park, MD

There are probably other bars that are just ordering the pay-per-view (not sure if that is totally legal). Its on iNDemand and DirectTV PPV so you should be able to order it also.

Shaolin-Do
09-26-2003, 07:48 AM
"****eyville"?
Pu.sseyville?
Wheres that?!?
:D

truewrestler
09-26-2003, 09:00 AM
ttt

Jowbacca
09-26-2003, 09:03 AM
TW
Thanks for the info. Think one of the local strip clubs might have it as i remember hearing an ad on the radio for one of 'em showing the De La Hoya fight. Neked chix, fighting, with beer and a steak... that would be heaven....

Suntzu
09-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Coliseum Sports Bar - i kinda know where thats at... but heaven sounds like a good place to...:D

truewrestler
09-26-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Jowbacca
TW
Thanks for the info. Think one of the local strip clubs might have it as i remember hearing an ad on the radio for one of 'em showing the De La Hoya fight. Neked chix, fighting, with beer and a steak... that would be heaven.... Definitely call around first

truewrestler
09-26-2003, 11:46 AM
ttmft

Chang Style Novice
09-26-2003, 12:41 PM
My friends with cable are not in the least bit interested in this kind of thing. I gotta get some woopin' on each other buds who have grande cable or something.

MasterKiller
09-26-2003, 12:44 PM
*cough* hacked Direct TV card *cough*

Chang Style Novice
09-26-2003, 12:52 PM
All I have is rabbit-ear antennas. Will that do it for me?

apoweyn
09-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
"****eyville"?
Pu.sseyville?
Wheres that?!?
:D

C0ckeysville, MD.

fa_jing
09-26-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm not going to watch, because it would fu(k up my chi....

truewrestler
09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
haha

Chang Style Novice
09-26-2003, 01:03 PM
I think what you mean is that you'd fu(k up a bag of cheetohs.

truewrestler
09-26-2003, 04:41 PM
ttt

old jong
09-27-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by truewrestler
ttmft

;)

fa_jing
09-27-2003, 10:27 AM
yo, I heard RC won....anybody see the fight and want to give a rundown?

SaMantis
09-27-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi fa jing,

Saw the fight last night, can't really give a detailed rundown but basically Randy Couture met everything Tito threw at him and kept him on the defensive the entire fight - he won every single round.

Tito started looking tired about halfway through the first round and by the end of the third round he was extremely frustrated. Every time he got Randy in a dangerous spot, RC slipped out of it -- he basically made Tito work for every single point. RC never looked exhausted and seemed pretty relaxed throughout.

The highlight of the night (like it or not) was Tito trying to arm bar RC near the end of the fight, RC stood up, let him hang on to his arm and pulled his legs up into the air so only Tito's upper back/shoulders were on the mat, then whacked him on the butt for the last 15 seconds of the match. (Spanking is an unkind way to put it but that's what RC was doing.)

A bitter loss for Tito Ortiz -- he burst into tears after the last bell sounded. When RC's name was announced Tito put the championship belt around RC's waist.

Not to say Tito didn't fight well -- both of them fought intelligently and if RC had ever lost his focus Tito would have been all over him.

bung bo
09-27-2003, 07:00 PM
the fight was right on.RC was on top of his game. i liked that he beat tito. he's a smarta$$. one weird thing was that tito kept giving the ref looks as if to say, "man, check this out, he got me good" (at the beginning of the 3rd RC took him down fast) the fight between those russian guys was cool, too. the guy who won (i think his first name was andrei) was a beast.

Merryprankster
09-27-2003, 08:06 PM
I called Randy on this one as soon as I heard it was on. Tito and Randy are both excellent fighters, and Randy was a bad match-up for Ortiz.

Had a bunch of guys at my gym who were riding Tito's jock pretty hard but I knew Randy would dominate him.

Tito has very good takedowns, and good knees, elbows and kicks. He's great in in the clinch......

However, Randy has international level takedowns and better hands than Tito. Further, he is WAY better in the clinch.

The way I saw it, Randy would deprive Tito of his best weapons by denying him the positions necessary to make them effective--and that's precisely what we saw:

1. Tito couldn't take Randy down.
2. Tito couldn't outclinch Randy to make the knees a factor.
3. Randy deprived Tito of his kicks by continually closing the gap, whether for takedown or clinch.

Amazing fight--a UFC great.

truewrestler
09-28-2003, 05:34 PM
Good call MP (and ST). I thought that Tito would have much more offense from the bottom than was the case.

The highlight of the night (like it or not) was Tito trying to arm bar RC near the end of the fight, RC stood up, let him hang on to his arm and pulled his legs up into the air so only Tito's upper back/shoulders were on the mat, then whacked him on the butt for the last 15 seconds of the match. (Spanking is an unkind way to put it but that's what RC was doing.) Actually Tito went for a rolling knee bar then heelhook. The move was against the cage which really helped Randy. Tito beat another fighter in the submission wrestling championships a year or two ago with the same move/combo so there was a chance it might have worked given more space. That was a very funny/exciting end to the fight. Both of the guys I watched the fight with thought Randy was actually tapping out on Tito's butt, haha.

YinYangDagger
09-28-2003, 08:41 PM
I agree with you, Truewrestler. It was a great fight, and although I don't care much for Tito, I was still a little worried. RC has always been my all time favorite, with my second fighter being Ken Shamrock. And we know what TO did to KS.

Way to go Randy! He's totally awesome.

SaMantis
09-28-2003, 08:47 PM
thanks for the more technical details, truewrestler. I haven't followed MMA for very long (obviously :p ) but yeah, the end was definitely funny. The whole fight was exciting though.

truewrestler
09-29-2003, 08:18 AM
The whole fight was exciting though. Good to hear. I knew it was an AWESOME fight for fans but wasn't sure how exciting it was for those viewers less in to MMA given it was 95% ground and pound.