PDA

View Full Version : Ring fighting and self defense

mbravo
07-16-2001, 02:26 AM
Im just curious to know what your opinions on self defense versus a ring fight would be..example an officer making an arrest is allowed to use equal force thats where self defense comes in. versus a ring fight where you know who your opponent is and you both come out ready to fight..

The rewards of study lie therein.

jimmy23
07-16-2001, 05:50 AM
my opinion.

Real life survival is more dependent on such things as enviramental awareness and street smarts. A fight is a fight, just on the street you dont duel your foe, you go for the kill (figuratively speaking of course) . With that in mind, you also need to know when to walk away (almost all the time) and when to use a weapon (if thugs are breaking into your house, use a gun, DO NOT try to "kung fu" them all, please believe me here).
Also, failing isnt an option on the street, as it is in the ring (or cage).

In the ring you have plenty of time to prepare,mentally and physically, for the conflict. In the street, you better be able to get to full speed pretty dam fast. THis alone will determine the outcome of many street fights, and is the mark of a seasoned street fighter.

All the above are my opinions.

Only a fool hates the truth, but the world is full of fools
Karl Gotch

[This message was edited by jimmy23 on 07-16-01 at 09:04 PM.]

Dark Knight
07-17-2001, 09:10 PM
"In the ring you have plenty of time to prepare,mentally and physically, for the conflict. In the street, you better be able to get to full speed pretty dam fast. THis alone will determine the outcome of many street fights"

This is so true, whern I face someone I am assuming he is better than I am and he is going to hurt me. I move first and hard. You always hear that you should fight back with equal force that is given to you. But you dont know what that will be. He may just want to hit you once, or try to kill you. I have seen bar fights where the guy gets into a hold and says he gives up. As soon as he was released he hits the other person. Be pepared to hurt them.

BAI HE
07-21-2001, 04:22 AM
I don't train to fight in a ring.
I train to persevere at all costs.
Persevering against the constraints of my life (job, personal..etc..) is enough for me.

Once I conquer myself, I'll conquer someone else in the ring perhaps. But I don't really need the $$$ or the ego boost or the rules of NHB.

Maybe I'll just by a gun!

And then some silly "gun disarm" tapes.

I have over 10 years experience in MA's.
Only twice since I've been involved in MA's have I had an altercation. It's like I've paid and trained for nothing but peace of minjd, patience and confidence. Not just in fighting, but in all endeavors.

So to me, sweat , cash and time have paid off.
Will I train to fight John Marsh anytime soon? No.

Do I worry about getting in the ring? No.
That is not the test I need to pass. :D

LEGEND
07-24-2001, 12:08 AM
Peeps have to modify what they learn on the streets...for example punching can be dangerous if u're not thick bone...using fancy high kicks could get u off balanced...using fancy grappling techs could get u ground and pounded...realize that position is everything even in standup fighting where u can pivot and KO your opponents.

A

Tigerdragon
07-30-2001, 01:15 PM
How about the fact that one has rules and the other doesn't. In the ring at least you have a good idea of what may be comming. You aready know what they can't do. and on top of that, you probably have already seen the person fight. And to top it off, its gaurenteed that there will only be one person to face. And you feel somewhat safer because you know you will not die in the ring.

On the street it is completely different. There are no rules, anything can happen, including someone pulling a weapon. It is more likely for you to have to worry about several people rather then one. Also, it is unlikely you have seen thes person fight before, so he.she is a total mystoy as to ability. And to top it off, it is possible, even likely that if you loose here you can die.

I'd say the differences are signifigant.

Assumption is the mother of tragedy. Just keep and open mind and be ready

shog
08-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Very mature, and some comments are well thought of...

I agree with all of you that say what is real stays on the street, and what is not real stays in the ring (a ring with rules that is). Just as what can be demonstrated in person can never be fully demonstrated or explicity understood through words, book, film, or video. It must be done through personal experience. The same is true with competitive fighting versus street fighting.
The experiences are different, and thus one would have to be there in that moment to truly know and understand what both are really about. One can not sit back and judge (even if they themselves have similar experiences), for their experiences are still not the same as those who are in that moment where the situation calls for demonstration, survival, or competition.

Again, this is actually one of the better threads I have seen (at least for now it is).

Chris B.
[URL=http://shogerijutsu.freehosting.net]Shogerijutsu Home Page[/URL