PDA

View Full Version : Qingdao Tournament

RAF
09-27-2003, 06:36 PM
For some of you considering attending the Praying Mantis Tournament (Meihua Tanglangquan primarily) here is a good clip of Qingdao. I was there in 1998 and 2000 and had a great time and accomodations were fantastic.

http://www.cctv.com/program/travelogue/01/index.shtml

Tieh
09-28-2003, 07:13 AM
Hey RAF,

When is this tournament?

Best Regards

RAF
09-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Late Jully or early August. Steve Cottrell, one of the posters here, also attended in 1998 and maybe 2000. Its a lot of fun.

Later.

B.Tunks
09-28-2003, 06:21 PM
The tournament has changed hands and is no longer to be run by the Qingdao Taijimeihua Tanglang Quan Association (who were previously the major sponsors and organisers). It will be run by Qingdao City next year (this year was cancelled because of SARS) and the standard of judging will be aiming for the level of the original tournament.
RAF is right, Qingdao is a great place and the locals are very friendly. This is probably one of the best places to see some good Mantis Boxing from all over China as it's the biggest, predominantly Mantis competition in the world.
B.T

RAF
09-29-2003, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the update B. Tunks.

Oct 3,4, and 5. we will be hosting the Hall of Fame Tournament and Zhang Wei Fu, Taijimeihua tanglangquan of Qingdao, along with his son Mark and Sun De Yao will be here in Canton, Ohio, near the Football Hall of Fame and 35 miles south of Cleveland.

Here is a bit of the info

MASTER YANG SHU-TON (TONY YANG)
PRESENTS

THE SEVENTH INTERNATIONAL

WU TANG

"HALL of FAME" O P E N 2 0 0 3
CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS TOURNAMENT OF CANTON

OCTOBER 4th, 2003

CANTON MEMORIAL CIVIC CENTER - CANTON, OH

Featuring: Lion Dances, Masters' Demonstrations, Full Contact Fighting, Traditional Kung Fu, Contemporary Wu Shu, Taiji , Bagua, Xingyi, Weapons, 2 Person Sets and Much, Much More!!!

Demonstrations & Seminars with Internationally Known Masters
Opening Ceremonies: Saturday 10:00 AM
Competition Begins: Saturday 11:00 AM

For Further Info Contact Us At:

Wu Tang Center for Martial Arts
1063 S. Arlington Akron, OH 44306
phone: 330-327-5699
fax: 330-649-9885
email: wutangcenter@neo.rr.com

Sun De Yao ( with Master Yang )

Master Sun De Yao is an internationally recognized master of praying mantis kung fu with students in many foreign countries. He owns and operates the "Hao Bin Mantis Boxing Martial Arts Center" in Qingdao, Shandong Province, China, where he teaches Tai Ji Mei Hua Tang Lang Quan and Mei Hua Tang Lang Quan. Master Sun has been elected as a committe member of the Shandong Wu Shu Society and his name has been compiled into Boxing Masters Dictionary.

Master Sun De Yao Presents:

Seminar: Mei Hua Tang Lang & Tang Lang Jian
(Plum Flower Praying Mantis and Praying Mantis Sword)

Time: 9:00 AM to 12 NOON
Date: Sunday, 5 October, 2003
Place: Memorial Civic Center 1101 Market Ave. N Canton, Ohio
Cost: $40 for one, $75 for both

Master Victor Sheng Long Fu

The Fu Style Internal Martial arts System, Wu Dang Chuan, was created by his grandfather, FU CHEN SUNG, who was one of the Five Northern Tigers. Fu Style is characterized by strong, supple and lively movements or the hips and waist, placing emphasis on footwork and whole body movement. As well as being soft and expansive, the forms require twisting turning and leaning forward and backward to increase the degree of movement in the hips, waist and shoulders so that movement of the entire body is brought into play. Master Fu began his training in Fu Style with his father, Fu Yung Hui, when he was five years old. He has been doing Fu Style for over 50 years. Fu style martial arts (Tai Ji Quan, Liang Yi Quan, Si Xiang Quan, Xing Yi Quan, Bagau Zhang plus other fist and weapon sets) will bring many benefits in terms of health and self defense if practiced.

Master Victor Sheng Long Fu presents:

Seminar: Xing Yi Quan and Bagua

Time: 9:00 AM to 12 NOON
Date: Sunday, 5 October, 2003
Place: Memorial Civic Center 1101 Market Ave. N Canton, Ohio
Cost: $40 for one, $75 for both

For more info call 216-556-0126 or 330-573-7820.

Tieh
09-29-2003, 08:18 AM
Is Zhang Wei Fu also latanized as Zhang Wan Fu... the elder guy that has students in germany. If it is him I didn't know that he has students in United States too.

Regards

RAF
09-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Hmmmm, I don't know if he has any students in Germany, however, he is about 50 and is primarily Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan.

http://www.wutangcenter.com/2000Trip/China2000.html

Scroll down to the section Qingdao Tournament and about 3 frames down is his picture.

Hope this helps.

B.Tunks
09-29-2003, 06:44 PM
Zhang Wanfu and Weifu are two different guys. Zhang Weifu is a student of Sun Xuepo and is brilliant in Taijimeihua. Definitely worth checking out! He's a very tough guy. I'd love to go to this event but I'm all the way across the other side of the world...

RAF
09-30-2003, 04:24 AM
Your welcome to visit with us anytime you can get to the States.

Zhang Wei Fu's son, Mark, is a very, very good practitioner and a all around great guy. He stayed with us a couple of weeks this summer and will return for the tournament. He is 16 years old and indeed is an up and coming star, bred in traditional training and praying mantis. Its the Qingdao guys that opened my eyes to the traditional training still available in China (I know now there is a lot more but just difficult to find),

Again, the door is open. We are a user-friendly school!

B.Tunks
09-30-2003, 05:17 AM
Thanks! much appreciated.
B.T