PDA

View Full Version : Bak Sing Forms

Sho
09-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Here are some questions concerning my interest in the Bak Sing branch of Choy Lay Fut.

What are the unique forms in the Bak Sing branch that are not practiced in any other branches? Are there any signature forms?

Rolling_Hand
09-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Hi Sho,

In the Bak Sing, there is a form called "Yang Lau Kiu" which is not practiced in any other branches. I saw that form in Fatshan China.

Roger

Ben Gash
09-29-2003, 06:47 AM
None of the Bak Sing hand forms I know are found in other CLF lines. There is quite a bit of deviation between Bak Sing lineages as well. The only form in Bak Sing that I know of that is in Hung Sing is Ping Kuen, which some Bak Sing lineages do.
There is some weapon sharing, for example I know Sup Baat Jeung Gwan from Bak Sing (although again, I've seen 4 different versions of this).

Sho
09-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your responses.

So how many forms do people learn in Buk Sing schools generally? I've heard that some schools focus on three principal forms. Or is it just a mere difference between schools having emphasis on different aspects of training?

Ben Gash
09-29-2003, 12:30 PM
the forms you mean are Sup Ji, Kau Da and Ping Kuen. These were supposedly Tam Sam's hardcore forms, but most schools have evolved a bit since then. The lineage that I do has 6 hand forms.

Rolling_Hand
09-29-2003, 03:23 PM
<<Tam Sam's hardcore forms>>

Yang Lau Kiu is the hardcore form in Tam Sam's Bak Sing family. It's like Bil Gee form in Wing Chun, only the indoor students could learn that form in the past.

Serpent
09-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Dai Sup Ji Kow Dah is a single form in Chan Family CLF also, quite a long form in the advanced syllabus. Also Ping Kuen. However, I have no idea if these are similar to the other lineage's versions.

Ben - the 18 Palm Pole you mentioned. Can you describe that? I'm a little confused by the combination of palms and poles! Or am I mis-translating the form name? It wouldn't be the first time! ;)

illusionfist
09-30-2003, 03:13 AM
"Jeung" can also be translated as hexagram in this particular case.

Arhat of Fury
09-30-2003, 10:09 AM
Rolling hand, never heard of Yang Lau Kiu. I was taught Kau da, Sup gee and Ping Kuen. Do you have a clip of it. I wonder if It was called something else in my gwoon.

Those were the core forms, we were also taught more because forms are popular and everyone liked to learn them. A little lau gau, hung gar and a little Bak Sil Lum.

Arhat

Rolling_Hand
09-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Arhat of Fury,

No, I don't have any clip of Yang Lau Kiu. But one of my distance uncles is a student of Tam Sam's kf family in China. Only a few CLF people have ever learnt this form. Next time, I will ask master Ng Fu Hang if he teaches Yang Lau Kiu in his Chan family CLF.

Btw, did you ever hear of the CLF Master Choi Wan-Lung in San Francisco? His great uncle was supposed to be one of the indoor students of Chan Hung in China. Choi Wan-Lung is very famous for his Gou Jeet Bin (nine section whip weapon), and he is also a friend of the HFY wing chun master Garrett Gee.

Arhat of Fury
09-30-2003, 11:45 AM
Thats very interesting, I have never heard of that form.(not that I am authority figure on forms or even close).

I have never heard of Choi Wan Lung, my lineage goes up throu kong hing>>>>Tarm Sarm.

Thanks for the info though, I guess this info is a little beyond my learnings.

I just wondering because sometimes forms are changed and modified a bit due to each masters interpretation(sometimes even the names have changed.)

Thanks again,

Arhat

Serpent
09-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by illusionfist
"Jeung" can also be translated as hexagram in this particular case.

Aha, that makes things a little more understandable! ;)

Cheers.

SETANSI
10-01-2003, 12:41 PM
A.F.-

You stated that your CLF liniage goes through Kong Hing.
This is my Si Gung also. Do you mind if I ask who your Sifu is?

Arhat of Fury
10-01-2003, 05:38 PM
Sifu Dave Lacey.
I have recently moved to az and it is very hard to find a traditional instructor in the arts I am looking.
So I set up my garage and train there a couple nights a week.
Do you train with Frank at the Hung Sing Gwoon?

SETANSI
10-02-2003, 06:47 AM
OH. ARIZONA..
OK I THINK I KNOW WHO THIS WANDERING MONK IS..
HOT IN ARIZONA HUH?
IS IT AS HOT AS BEECHWOOD?

Arhat of Fury
10-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Who else--Cuong Tao Lo

I know who this is, crazy boy.

Yes, not as hot as The woods, thats fo sho.
I was down last weekend to hang out. I heard some students were down from aus.???????

SETANSI
10-02-2003, 10:14 AM
YEP,

SHOWING HIM THE CALI LIFE. INTODUCED HIM TO BRONIE MARY (BIG MISTAKE) . AND PHIL S.' MOM CALLED "ONE TIME" THE OTHER NIGHT ON US (4 PRACTICING FORMS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET) BUT THEY DID'NT MAKE US SIT ON THE CURB OR HIT US WITH FLASH LIGHTS LIKE THE USUALLY DUE AFTER THEY HAVE U SIT ON THE CURB; MAYBE NEXT TIME. THEY JUST LET US GO,(BET SHE WAS ****ED) SO WE WENT TO OAKLAND C-TOWN AND HAD A MIDNIGHT SNACK ON ME.

Arhat of Fury
10-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Good Leezy,
SOunds like you got him accustomed real quik. Has he trained long. Did you all spar?or Did he spar? I talked to Phil P. a little about it. How is Sifu, I sent Simo an email to get sifu's email but she never replied??????

Im checking out this school tonight, Its the first one I have. Alot of schools out here changed their name from karate to kung fu cause thats where the monies at. This school teaches Northern and southern shaolin(not wushu), Pakua, Xingyi, Tai chi.
Will see how it goes.

SETANSI
10-02-2003, 10:55 AM
sent u a private message , actually two of them as space was limited to 1000 characters.

And Sifu dosent have an E-MAIL adress.

Serpent
10-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Who was visiting from Aus? Anyone interesting?

k-no
10-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Hey bro...

Hope you guys have been OK. Been sick for a minute, otherwise I'd be testing out the CLF with the BJJ and Muay Thai folks at Monster Island SF or BJJ at Half Moon Bay. Hope you all have been well.

Anyhow, you talked to Sifu bro? I'd get ahold of him if I were you....yah got me?

Arhat, maybe after SETANSI talks to sifu ya'll can talk. Hope AZ isn't too hot 4 ya.

K

Arhat of Fury
10-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Hey K-no,
Yeah, its a hot one out here,but this time of year it starts getting nice.
Yeah, I will call him! Hope things are goin good for you.

Peace

Arhat