PDA

View Full Version : Muhammed Ali

jun_erh
09-28-2003, 03:26 PM
I have always been very passively into boxing. I watched a Muhammed Ali fight yesterday, the thrilla in Manilla. Ali reminded me of a description I once read in kung fu about a crane fighting an ape or something, how the crane would attack and then dodge the blow and then come back in again. I don't doubt Frazier was one of th greats, but I really felt Ali made him look silly in a way. and he seemed to connect more. very interesting fight I thought.I'm trying to avoid the obvious remarks like internal, etc as I'm guessing it would be offensive to some and a rehash to others.
"float like a butterfly sting like a bee".

:cool:

Guts
09-28-2003, 05:39 PM
The Thrilla is one of the all time greatest fights ever. As far as Ali making Frazier look silly...I don't agree. Ali had the ability to make lots of fighters look foolish, I don't think Frazier was one of them.

It's easy to get caught up in Ali's greatness, but think about Frazier for a second. Remember how aggressive he was and how he battered Ali on the ropes. Keep in mind the kind of damage Frazier inflicted upon Ali in that fight. Frazier also only had one good eye going into the fight. Ali won that fight, no doubt. But, Smoking Joe hurt that man bad in the ring.

jun_erh
09-30-2003, 10:51 AM
yeah that sort of came out wrong. It was more noticing the practicality of Ali's style. Frazier seemed to make such little headway relative to the amount of work he was putting in