PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in San Fransisco when your dead...

shaolin kungfu
09-28-2003, 09:27 PM
errr, something like that.

Anyways, I might be going out there for a couple days and was wondering if the natives have any suggestions on things to see.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated:)

Shaolin-Do
09-28-2003, 09:32 PM
Biggest china town in US.

shaolin kungfu
09-28-2003, 09:42 PM

China town sounds like a good idea. Thank you SD:)

Shaolin-Do
09-28-2003, 09:49 PM
no problem.
lol.
Im friends with some ghetto black folk from oakland. They said its just like one big @ss east side. Yeah, Im sure there is pretty bad racial tension in some areas.

Shaolin-Do
09-28-2003, 09:56 PM
so ghetto it up a little bit for safetys sake. ;)

Fred Sanford
09-29-2003, 02:13 AM
San Francisco?
hmm, I recommend hanging out late at night at the corner of 6th and Market.

Ming Yue
09-29-2003, 06:28 AM
Edinborough Castle on Geary. Tiny pub, great atmosphere. Many delicious brews on tap, fresh fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, and a bagpiper plays every night at 11.

The Cliff House (http://www.cliffhouse.com/history/history.htm) , at Ocean beach. The cliff house has a little Camera Obscura behind it, and a mechanical penny arcade museum - all the machines work. Plus the ruins of the Sutro Baths are pretty cool.

PpQ Vietnamese Cuisine - Irving street. Best Vietnamese food ever. Not cheap, but worth it.

Golden Gate park - exotic flowers, nice japanese garden, museum.

City Lights bookstore - on Columbus, I think. Early beat poet haven- it was nice 'n grimy when I was there, with a good selection of unusual books.

Chinatown - huge, touristy but still representative of the culture that built and then rebuilt San Francisco. Can't buy fireworks there anymore (unless you ask the right person). ;)

Marin Headlands & Mount Tamalpaias - drive up, hike up, or mtn. bike. Watch the fog roll into SF from the top of Mt. Tam.

DONT GO:
Fisherman's wharf (like disneyland with a pervasive fish odor.)
Alcatraz (it's too expensive, and not that cool)
Haight Street (stinky hippie-punk panhandlers)
Sausalito (ultra quaint shopping haven. wayyyy too expensive)

:D

Chang Style Novice
09-29-2003, 08:00 AM
SFMoMA (http://www.sfmoma.org/)

Ming Yue
09-29-2003, 08:14 AM
almost forgot,

if you're into art, drive 35 minutes down the peninsula to Stanford University in Palo Alto and see the Rodin sculpture garden. It's free. The Gates of Hell is an incredible bronzework.

GeneChing
09-29-2003, 09:28 AM
If you're literate check out:
Eastwind books near Chinatown
Kinokiniya books in Japantown Mall
Green Apple books on Clement
and of course, the Mission Book crawl in the Mission.

BTW, My current fav restaurent in Chinatown is House of Nanking on Columbus.

And there are some fine parts of Oakland, including Oakland Chinatown and Lake Merritt. Sure, there's some bad neighborhoods, but there's a lot of nice parts too.

@PLUGO
09-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Hey I live in Oakland!!!

I gotta say you must be living somewhere on the west side of town if you're fearing for your life...

The worst I've had to deal with in an irate neighbor that doesn't want anyone parking with-in 2 feet of her driveway.

Check out the SONY Metreon on 4th & mission for High-tech mall and Media fun... Movies, Imax food & such... accross the Park is the Yerbia Buena center for the arts Museum & Theatre...

Plenty of good live music in Many smaller venues throughout the city.

if you're into Baseball there's PACBELL park for the Giants & the OAKLAND A's play at the Oakland Coliseum just a BART trip away.

ANGEL island got some nice nature as does TILDEN park in the eastbay or accross the golden gate there's Mt. Tam.

The Rodin Garden IS rocken but the drive may seem longer due to traffic...

if you can find them BAKER BEACH & CHINA BEACH are almost directly under the golden gate Bridge and much nicer than Ocean Beach which is west of Golden Gate Park & south of the CLIFF HOUSE.
Robin Williams lives walking distance from China Beach...

Take the MUNI up or down MARKET street for a laugh...

The Mission district got a pretty sweet nightlife...very latino style. Valencia, Mission and 14th-17th streets are pretty hopping.

JAPAN town's also got some neat shopping and food and museums... a newer neighborhood than China town.

Merryprankster
09-29-2003, 11:01 AM
Big suggestion. Stay outta Oakland (unless you're serious about the "dead" thing). I've only been living here about a year, keep to myself, don't start trouble, and have had people attack me on the street, try to run me down (4 times) while I was crossing the street, and received a variety of threats (including a group of brothers who yelled out "Kill all white people!" then came at me like they were gonna take me apart, fortunately I had already arrived at my building so I calmly unlocked the door & quickly went inside). Lotsa racial hatred here (probably both ways, I don't know. I'm a white minority in my neighborhood).

Dude, move to Lake Merritt. Never had a problem there.

Things to do? Gosh--anything you want in SF.

Try 111 Minna. It's an "art" gallery that turns into a bar at night. Completely funky and pretentious. But it's a great people watching venue.

Ignore the guy that said don't go to fisherman's wharf. :D Go, just realize that it's a tourist place--go to say you did it, then bail.

There's a small russian restaurant that serves what I'm convinced is the best borscht in the world near ummm.... **** I don't remember.

DO go to Berkeley. It's too much fun not to. Also, (this is NOT negotiable) go to a little place called the Buena Vista cafe, down past Fisherman's Wharf, near Ghirardelli square. Sit down. Order Irish Coffee. Continue until incapable of seeing properly. It's the classic sort with whiskey, black coffee, two lumps and cream floated on top.

Shaolin-Do
09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
"borscht"
??
:confused:
Sounds like breaded deep fried dog or something.
:)

Berkeley - Never been there, but plenty of people I have met said I reminded them of someone they knew from berekely.

Kristoffer
09-29-2003, 11:08 AM
stay the **** away from russian resturants you ignorant americans :D

Chang Style Novice
09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Borscht is russian beet stew. Yes, beet not beef.

That's okay for some folks I guess, but it's pretty nasty to me.

And yes, Berkeley is one of the great party towns in all the known universe.

I lived in Oakland when I was a kid. Never got knifed, never got shot. This was the early 80s, though. You should at least look at the gooftacular Buck Rogers-esque Mormon Temple up on the hills while you're in the O. It's one of the most bizarre architectural mishaps ever.

@PLUGO
09-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Berkeley is a hoot on the weekends...

Take Bart and hop off at the ASHBY BART station... for A TASTE OF AFRICA at the fleamarket... some of the most amazing food at that green truck of the same name!!!

Take the bus (or walk) up shattuck for the amuzing downtown scene. A right on University ave. will drop you onto the campus cut through and you'll eventually find Telegraph Ave. at the southern border...

Continue east and you'll find some great Hiking up in Tilden park and Grizzly peak.

A good friend of Mine spins at 111 Minna often... it IS a fun scene...

Ethopian food is great prettymuch anywhere in Berkeley and Thai food is great in both Berkeley & San Fran...

Serpent
09-29-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Ignore the guy that said don't go to fisherman's wharf.

Dude, Ming Yue's a chick.

;)

Kristoffer
09-30-2003, 01:38 AM
...no trees in her ass though

;)

Ming Yue
09-30-2003, 04:13 AM
I still don't like Fisherman's wharf, but I wonder if the haunted mine ride is still there?