PDA

View Full Version : Hey Ford

IronFist
09-29-2003, 01:08 AM
What would happen if you combined a strength workout with a high volume workout. Something like:

Bench: 2 sets of 3 starting with 70-80%% 1RM and increasing each workout with 3 minute rests.
followed by like 6 sets of 8 with 50-70% 1RM with like one minute rests.

Can you combine strength training and hypertrophy/muscular endurance training in the same workout and get results?

I guess this is kind of like a condensed version of what I've been doing (PTP and GVT together, see other thread)

Cheese Dog
09-29-2003, 06:33 AM
Doug Hepburn (one of the all time great powerlifters) Used to do something very similiar. He would do 3-8 sets of singles, starting at three and adding singles up to 8 as his strenght increased over the weeks, then follow with 5 sets of 5 reps for hypertrophy. Worked very well for him, he was extremely strong and HUGE!

Ford Prefect
09-29-2003, 06:46 AM
Hi Iron,

That sounds kind of like a max effort day in Westside training. They'll train the "max effort" movement in the 90-100% range and then train a supplemental movement with high volume. An example of this would be:

Floor Press (work up to 1RM)
Skull Crushers 6 x 10

or

Goodmorning (work up to 1RM)
Romanian DL 3 x 20

The only thing is that they avoid over-training by changing the max effort movement every 1-2 weeks and the supplemtal movement every 3-4 weeks (in general). They also factor in their speed day and will occasionally just sub a max effort workout with heavy sled dragging.

So what I'm trying to say is that you'll need to rotate exercises to keep fresh and avoid overtraining. This is even more so if you are training the same body part in 90%+ range more than once a week. Maybe you could try one heavy day and one light day.