PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine your preferred range for fighting?

fa_jing
09-30-2003, 08:40 PM
:)
Well?

Water Dragon
09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Oh this one's easy too. There's only 2 ranges. Fighting, and not fighting.

CrippledAvenger
09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Spar.

Get hit a lot.

Hit back some.

Figure out where you get hit the most.

Figure out where you hit the most.

Ask your sparring partner what rocked him or her the most.

Ask your significant other to get some ice for your lumps.

Rinse.

Lather.

Repeat.

:D

rogue
09-30-2003, 08:55 PM
I hate getting hurt so my range is to stay really far away from my opponent. Now if you'll excuse me I need to get back to my bomb shelter.

fa_jing
09-30-2003, 09:01 PM
Even if you are naturally good at one range, you might aim for greater proficiency at another. For instance, I used to be good at kicking range, so I focussed on punching range when I began study again. Now I prefer punching range, but would like more body-to-body skills. As well, certain kicking skills have deteriorated. My point is that we often make decisions about how we're going to fight beforehand, in terms of technique selection.

yenhoi
09-30-2003, 09:08 PM
Even if you are naturally good at one range, you might aim for greater proficiency at another. For instance, I used to be good at kicking range, so I focussed on punching range when I began study again. Now I prefer punching range, but would like more body-to-body skills. As well, certain kicking skills have deteriorated. My point is that we often make decisions about how we're going to fight beforehand, in terms of technique selection.

All good.

I think people should approach their training based on solid principles, and train specific skills. Let 'technique' happen based on the application of individual skills.

Well, maybe not people, but me and my clan.

etc.

:eek:

Serpent
09-30-2003, 09:24 PM
I naturally prefer to dictate a longer range. For that reason alone I am trying to develop my close-in game a lot more.

Trouble is, I have trouble not hurting people when I fight in close.

:confused:

Archangel
09-30-2003, 09:51 PM
I'd suggest to have your training partner go all out on you. It's only when you bring the intensity to that level that you stop thinking and just go with your instinct. I was a wrestler for a better part of my life; I've also done boxing and some Thai.

I've noticed that whenever I get into trouble I end up seizing my opponent and trying to bring them down. I go into "safety" mode and use what I'm most comfortable with. Use gear, but try and bring yourself as close to reality as possible.

Serpent
09-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Just go to rough bars and pick fights. That's about as real as it gets.

Kristoffer
10-01-2003, 05:08 AM
Like you've ever done that serp..

My answer was going to be 'just fight' :D

Dark Knight
10-01-2003, 05:39 AM
Define ranges.

Kicking range is also shooting range for a single or double leg takedown

Clinch range is perfect for powerful hooks and uppercuts.

Striking (punching) range is perfect for grabbing into a clinch or throw

grappling range, when your in the mount punching down on someone is that striking range or grappling range.

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 06:53 AM
Or dont prefer a range. Be good at all of them.

No_Know
10-01-2003, 08:57 AM
I think about types of happenings and some of their progressions. Theoretically, I can relate to whatever I might get into because it is familiar. Whatever range has the most favorable outcome for that particular progression would likely be how I go.

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 09:01 AM
comfort zones = bad for business... unless every zone is your comfort zone. Whatever range you arent comfortable in, make yourself comfortable in it, but do not neglect training other ranges. Maybe just tone down long/ground for example, and work your clinch. (if thats your problem area)

MonkeySlap Too
10-01-2003, 09:33 AM
You are standing in my spot.

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Yeah, thats what I get paid for.
;)

Kristoffer
10-01-2003, 01:49 PM
No range.. just run

Serpent
10-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
Like you've ever done that serp..

I was young and stupid once.

:(

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 06:16 PM
I was young and stupid twice!

Kristoffer
10-02-2003, 05:46 AM
I'm still young and stupid

SevenStar
10-03-2003, 08:57 AM
You dictate your preferred fighting range by fighting. You will find out where you feel the most comfortable. Then you will find out where you are most effective. Then you have to find out which you prefer.

I was more comfortable at long range, because I've been a kicker ever since my TSD days. But, as time went on, I found that I'm more effective in close. So now, I prefer to be inside. I still feel more comfortable at long range, but I know I will perform better inside, and I'm alot more comfortable there now, than I was a few years back when I first started doing it.

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 09:03 AM
I prefer... I dont really care. I dont prefer one range to the other, or leading with either leg. (unless there is a specific tech. Im trying to pull off)