PDA

View Full Version : Sizing up the opponent?

fa_jing
09-30-2003, 08:42 PM
What really goes on during the sizing up process? Is it critical to attempt to intimidate your adversary?

CrippledAvenger
09-30-2003, 08:45 PM
IMO, sizing up is part honest assessment and two parts psyche-up.

The real process of figuring out where your opponent is strong and weak doesn't begin until the fight starts-- the "Conversation" as it were.

Water Dragon
09-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger

the "Conversation" as it were.

Ever heard of "Word Boxing". Crip?

fa_jing
09-30-2003, 08:53 PM
good answer. I feel it has a critical importance - as you said for psyching up. To actually be able to intimidate the opponent, does anyone think this is a skill that can be developed? Seeing a big, strong opponent in top shape is what puts fear in me, not really anything the other guy is doing. I'm waiting to hear from someone with some super-samurai knowledge to drop in and tell us how to correctly stare down. But like I said, good answer.

CrippledAvenger
09-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

Ever heard of "Word Boxing". Crip?

Depends of how you mean it, WD. Are we talking "fighting as conversation", where I throw a jab, you react, and I react accordingly? Or are we discussing something different?

Water Dragon
09-30-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm talking about the actual Chinese style known as word boxing. I want to say that the actual name is Ziramen, but could be wrong.

CrippledAvenger
09-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
To actually be able to intimidate the opponent, does anyone think this is a skill that can be developed? Seeing a big, strong opponent in top shape is what puts fear in me, not really anything the other guy is doing. I'm waiting to hear from someone with some super-samurai knowledge to drop in and tell us how to correctly stare down. But like I said, good answer.

Personally, I think that confidence is the most truly intimidating thing. Not braggadocio or swaggering mind you, but the vibe that the person in question has done this before and been perfectly at home with whatever comes up. You know, a person hard enough not to have to beat you over the head with it.

I'm not talking humility either. I don't know... it's easier to feel than explain, at least for me.

To answer the original question, I think intimidation can be learned. However, the problem lies in the fact that I don't think most people will want to go through what it takes in order to achieve the aforementioned confidence. That's where the psyching-up, and the "too deadly" come into play.

CrippledAvenger
09-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
I'm talking about the actual Chinese style known as word boxing. I want to say that the actual name is Ziramen, but could be wrong.

Nope. But as a writer, I must say it sounds intriguing. :D

fa_jing
09-30-2003, 09:22 PM
I think I know what you are talking about, Crip. Fighters know. That's what my teacher told me.

Serpent
09-30-2003, 09:27 PM
The psyche-out is of uber-importance. Many fights are won and lost before the first punch is thrown. Internal power projected as confidence and the sure knowledge that your opponent is going down can destroy a person from a distance. Perhaps this is actually the ever-elusive no touch knockout!

As for word games, have you guys seen a movie called Rosencrantz & Gildenstern Are Dead? Awesome movie, great performances and a superb game of Question Tennis! See it today!

CrippledAvenger
09-30-2003, 09:34 PM
You're preaching to the choir, Serpent. I'm a huuuge Tom Stoppard fan. ;)

Shaolin-Do
09-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Word boxing eh?
Nifty.
Hey WD, PM me that hip throw variation again please.
:)

Serpent
09-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
You're preaching to the choir, Serpent. I'm a huuuge Tom Stoppard fan. ;)

Sweet!

Shaolin-Do
09-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Poking people in the chest with your immensly strong kung fu hands is always fun too.
:eek:
or just stare at them like you want to kill them.

Water Dragon
10-01-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
Word boxing eh?
Nifty.
Hey WD, PM me that hip throw variation again please.

Which one?

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 06:50 AM
Knee breaker.
If you know more tho, feel free to share. :)
Oh yeah... there is a nice reversal to the figure 4. Its hard as hell to explain tho...

Water Dragon
10-01-2003, 07:17 AM
Ask Kirk to show you how to pin a leg off a Bowling Break. He'll know what I'm talking about.

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Coo.

Black Jack
10-01-2003, 08:11 AM
IMO it is often more of a natural and automatic process to gauge a persons hierarchy. To know where this person stands in the system, the old Alpha and Beta deal. From a physical perspective this would include checking out his features and the vibe he is putting out. All done on a passive scanning level before any word boxing comes into play.

A good book is one by Robert Ringer and it is called Winning Through Intimidation.