PDA

View Full Version : ATTN WD and other SCers...

Merryprankster
10-01-2003, 03:33 AM
After watching Karo Parisyan pull off some of the most amazing standing joint-locks entries to throws that I have ever seen, in UFC 44, I will have to re-look at my feelings regarding them. Kimura to O-Soto-Gari...Kimura to Suma Gaeshi, etc. As a caveat, the guy IS one of the best Judoka in the United States.

Beautiful flying mare on Strasser in his fight. (drop seio-nage for your judoka types)

That said, I think I'll stick with the trusty grips I know :D

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 06:52 AM
d@mn.. Knew I should have ordered it. Told you guys standing locks work ;)
You just have to practice them hella more...

Water Dragon
10-01-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

That said, I think I'll stick with the trusty grips I know :D

hmmm, why would you want to leave anything out of your toolbox intentionally?

Merryprankster
10-01-2003, 07:41 AM
1. I can't do them in most of my competitions.

2. Would rather get good at a few things. I don't have time to work on all the things I need to right now, let alone new information. Perhaps later in my career I can do this.

ShaolinTiger00
10-01-2003, 09:00 AM
http://www.judoclub.ca/mpegs/KaroParisyan.mpg

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Thx for the clip. Ill have to watch it at home however, due to the lack of proper codecs here. (have to have administrative network pass to download and install new software... bah.)

Suntzu
10-01-2003, 09:29 AM
lifesaver BIC....

Suntzu
10-01-2003, 09:36 AM
impressive...

MonkeySlap Too
10-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Thanks MP.

Water Dragon
10-01-2003, 09:56 AM
Beautiful Jiudo clips

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 10:53 AM
Anyone got a link to judo throws with both japanese names and english translation?

ShaolinTiger00
10-01-2003, 11:09 AM
http://www.judoinfo.com/animate.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/techdraw.htm

These are not all the throws in judo, but these are the most common.

btw: there is no "english version" of the name. ex. O soto gari is a great outter reap, but in the US, France, Germany, Russia, Japan - it's o soto gari.

that's the cool thing about judo. it may be hard to learn the name at first but once you do you can go to pretty much any judo club on the planet and "talk" about the same thing. I may not speak a word of German but I say "seionage", and every judoka there knows what I mean.

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Cool. Thanks.
:)

MasterKiller
10-01-2003, 11:24 AM
ST00,

Are a lot of Judo throws dependent on the other guy wearing a GI? Can you pull most of those (from that website) off without necessarily grabbing a shirt sleeve or collar?

Thanks.

Shaolin-Do
10-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Yup.
Controls for most throws - tricep, neck, legs, waist, elbow...

Edit: not sure why I said yup... But not throws are not gi dependant, hence the above examples.

ShaolinTiger00
10-01-2003, 01:20 PM
ST00,

Are a lot of Judo throws dependent on the other guy wearing a GI? Can you pull most of those (from that website) off without necessarily grabbing a shirt sleeve or collar?

MK,

It's a big misconception that judo throws are gi dependant. just look at that video clip above..
*HOWEVER* - If you do not train them without the gi, your success with them may be much less.

The gi is a double edged sword, because as it allows you to more easily grip an opponent for a throw, also gives him easier grips to counter and neutralize your attempt. the comparision to bjj gi/no gi comes to mind. with gi = tight, controlled, improved technique. without = faster, looser etc..

Without the gi your "grip" must be altered. The traditional lapel and sleeve grip must now become hook the back of the head and underhook/overhook an elbow. think about that when you watch those animations.

double lapel grip may become double underhooks or a neck clinch depending on your intentions.

look at san shou and think "not only is it no gi, but for all intents it's no hands as well!) as you can only hook w/ the wrists -no fingers.. of course without the gloves it gets better for a street application!!

I'd be lying if I didn't say that the practicality of some of those throws is sketchy at best and even more so without a gi, but that's just like everything else.

Water Dragon
10-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Judo is most definately not gi dependant.

Unfortunately, most Judoka are.

ShaolinTiger00
10-01-2003, 01:53 PM
http://www.mma.tv/tuf/DisplayMessages.cfm?TID=161413&P=48&FID=22&c=1