PDA

View Full Version : ????Mod 1 instead of running????

Suntzu
10-02-2003, 11:49 AM
i HATE running... like really hate..... what about subbing Mod 1 exercises instead of running... i HATE mod 1... but in a good way...

IronFist
10-02-2003, 12:11 PM
wtf is mod 1?

Ford Prefect
10-02-2003, 12:17 PM
I dunno. I used to crank out pretty brutal scrapper and other BWE workouts, but my wind for running never got better. On the other hand, I was in also grappling shape at that time. I really couldn't tell if it was the workouts, the wind sprints, or the fact I was training 5x/week.

Ford Prefect
10-02-2003, 12:20 PM
BTW, I don't have Mod 1, so I dunno if Scrap has any sprints in there, but I don't think BWE alone would be able to raise VO2 Max anywhere near the levels that different running protocols would.

Suntzu
10-02-2003, 12:27 PM
not tryin to get into running shape..... just fighting shape.... so i guess the track i will go :mad:

Toby
10-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Dunno what Mod 1 is, but in high school I was part of my school's 1st 8 rowing crew. Our season was pretty long, with 3 days a week on the water, 3 sessions a week in the gym and the odd ergo session. At the end of the season, we won the main regatta. 2000m = 6min14s of 90-100% of heart rate max. We were all pretty stuffed at the end, and some members of other crews were spewing, etc. So we were pretty fit. A few days later, rugby season started, and I gotta say, it was like I was a complete beginner again. Sprints were extremely difficult, and not just for me.

For the last couple of months, I've been doing Taku's intervals, and it has made a world of difference to my fitness. Like you, I hate running, but I'm doing sprints at the local oval. Haven't lost motivation yet, and I definitely notice the benefits in WC classes. E.g. on Wednesday we did an exercise where one guy would wear body pads and the other would chain punch them up and down the kwoon to teach footwork. I would make one pass and be breathing hard, but able to continue and maintain both foot and hand form. My partner was out of breath, and his form went to hell about 1/2way through each pass. Elbows flailing, no symmetry etc. At the end of each pass, he'd be struggling to get any power in a punch. How long was each pass? About 30s or so, the same as the intervals I'm running at the moment ;).

Ka
10-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Mod 1 for those who are interested can be bought at
www.trainforstrength.com

I think you should keep mixing it up,cycle in conditioning endurance,strenght/power phases
If purely training for Ring comps then at some stage you got to put sprints, stair runs,hill runs ployos(medi ball chucking is my current favovite).Just as now and then you need to sweat through a 20km,or 30 min skip.
Work it out so you build up to your goal(a comp,etc)

Suntzu
10-03-2003, 06:36 AM
i wanna give Taku intervals a try... but i can never remember the times... so i'll just do the 10-20's that were posted on here before... straight foward and easy to remember... i dont have as much hate for sprints... i just didn't wanna do 'em.... see ya at the track...

Ford Prefect
10-03-2003, 06:40 AM
Taku's or Tabata's intervals are great on a versa climber. Tabata has had all his test subjects do them on stationary bikes since he could have them keep above a certain RPM range during the sprints and rests and thus monitor their exertion level better.

If you want to do it at a track, I found it's pretty hard to keep time, so I'll make an interval tape where it will change music during the rests and sprints. It's easier to keep track of that way.

Suntzu
10-03-2003, 07:13 AM
did u see the clip they hape up at MMA.tv of Egan INoue on the versa climber.... i want one of those....

Ford Prefect
10-03-2003, 07:19 AM
Yeah. They really do rock. I had one in the gym I was at 3 years ago. I miss that thing. There is a thing called a Ram Sled which is pretty nast too.

Jowbacca
10-03-2003, 12:45 PM
The onbase gym had a versaclimber when I was in high school. Used to kill me after a minute, but i think the setting was maxed.

A coworker has one at home.

Suntzu- you and I need to go buy one.

I get a similar vibe from the crosstrainer - the elliptical thing with the cross country skiing arms- especially when you stick it on like level 18. The machine's got a really nice interval training setting that goes from low-medium-high; with about 2, 1 minute sprint sessions; 2, 1 minute rest sessions; a 2 min warmup; a 2 minute cool down; and the rest of the time 70 to 80% work sessions for a 20 min interval.

I too hate jogging and anything more than a mile and a half is going to give me serious problems.

Toby
10-05-2003, 07:07 PM
I'm loving the intervals, although I used to hate running. At the moment I'm about to finish (tomorrow) my last session on 7x30s on/20s off. I run about 2 1/2 laps of the oval in total and my workout's finished.

I bit the bullet and bought a Polar S610i HRM. You can program in the intervals including warm up time with heart rate limits, interval and recovery times with HR limit, number of intervals and cool down time with HR limits. Comes with software that lets you view your training sessions on a pretty graph with lots of colours :p. It beeps loudly at a change in the training session so you know where you're at, e.g. start of interval, start of recovery, etc. Highly recommended piece of technology. Mine cost around AUD$500 from memory.

Ka,

I do plyometrics with the medicine ball too. I've got an 8kg ball and I lie on my back and throw it up about 6' in the air for 100 reps or so. Sooner or later I'm gunna drop it on my face ...