PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is 'Shaolin TKD'?

MaFuYee
10-03-2003, 07:50 AM
it was the title of an article in that kung fu/qigong magazine. (if memory serves)

.... someone needs a good slap upside the head....

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Yeah, TKD is all shaolin. Didnt you know?

MaFuYee
10-03-2003, 08:04 AM
... well i did see an article by mr. yan ming a while back on secret shaolin fighting techniques, that consisted of nothing more than simple roundhouse, snap, thrust, and spinning back kicks... (all performed too high to be of any practical use, of course....)

... are you sure u didn't mean that Shaolin is all TKD?

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 08:06 AM
lofl.
God no, I was joking.
TKD is korean karate = Shaolin -> Kara-te -> Okinawan Karate -> TKD
:)

Im not sure what the article was about.

Water Dragon
10-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Shaolin Tae Kwan Do. Take away the Tae Kwon, and what do you get? :D

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 08:11 AM
WD, you seen the assasins throw or the crucifix from a reverse headlock? (their body infront of you)

GreyMystik
10-03-2003, 08:16 AM
reminds me of a comment someone made to me once... "it's all shaolin...tkd is korean shaolin, aikido is japanese shaolin...." etc etc ad nausuem :rolleyes:

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Greymystik - you study in austin? what style?

Water Dragon
10-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
WD, you seen the assasins throw or the crucifix from a reverse headlock? (their body infront of you)

You talking about getting the reverse headlock, pulling them on your back and off their feet and choking the $hit out of them?

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 08:25 AM
Nah dude. check your PM's in a second, the crucifix is one bad mofo of a technique.

Water Dragon
10-03-2003, 08:32 AM
The hip throw variation I know. The second one, OUCH!

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 08:33 AM
Wait till you check it out on a person. Its f*ckin bad. And its soo easy to get to from a headlock... :)
Edit: may I once again reiterate how important being gentle when trying that one is also... My neck still hurts from being shown last night.

Water Dragon
10-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
My neck still hurts from being shown last night.

Well, if you would just open your mouth and relax your jaw like you were told...

Shaolin-Do
10-03-2003, 08:41 AM
Relax your jaw? And drag your teeth across the labhia? get yourself in trouble like that. Your gift in return wont be something you want....
:eek:

Brad
10-03-2003, 09:13 AM
What the heck is 'Shaolin TKD'?
it was the title of an article in that kung fu/qigong magazine. (if memory serves)

.... someone needs a good slap upside the head....
Did you read the article?

GeneChing
10-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Several of the private schools surrounding Shaolin Temple now teach TKD. Actually, a lot of PRC schools teach TKD, mostly because there is international competition - Olympic competition no less - it's bigger than San Shou, so of course, many Chinese play it. It's common in China, but most people don't know it because they haven't been there.

The Shaolin Special 2003 (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kf200119.html) discusses Shaolin TKD within two of the articles (but there isn't an article solely devoted to that, because it's not that big, really.) Take a look. Or just come on down to the Shaolin forum - we have 2 threads on it now.

MaFuYee
10-03-2003, 09:26 PM
oh! is that all?

- thanks gene :D

...thats a big relief...

i couldn't work up the nerve to look at the article... i had just eaten lunch.

actually that makes a lot of sense, and good for them. - good tkd can be great to watch, and it takes a lot of skill.

come to think of it... i believe i did read of that in the past, and have seen footage on some tape or other....

tkd competitions are great. the best part is, nobody dies! yeah!

and they all lived happily ever after.

Brad
10-04-2003, 02:27 AM
it's bigger than San Shou, so of course, many Chinese play it. It's common in China, but most people don't know it because they haven't been there.
Yeah, I remember when I got this new pen-pal in China and found out she was doing TKD... I was like WTF?! You should be doing kungfu!!! But she looked so cute & happy in her TKD outfit that I didn't say anything, lol. China's TKD team is pretty darn good though :)

rogue
10-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Bow down before me, TKD Rules the World! :D

I have heard that one the leading bagua masters is Korean.

Kristoffer
10-04-2003, 01:07 PM
I heard the fattest Sumo wrestler is American

GeneChing
10-07-2003, 10:03 AM
...it somewhat prejudiced to say Chinese to Kungfu, Japanese do Karate, Koreans to TKD and Americans do, well, what Shaolin-do? :eek: j/k. There's a lot of crossover. China is a huge place with more people than anywhere, so of course they do a lot of other stuff. Check out how quickly they've risen in the Olympics (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=368). And mostly in games that aren't common in China. A lot of CMA people sell TKD short, but it's amazing how far it has gone around the world. A lot of 3rd world nations play it.

This segueways into a promotion our parent company is doing. If your near the SF bay area, check this out. (http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/martialartsmart/TKD2003.html#)

norther practitioner
10-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Well, the thing is Gene... look at what they have available in China... training time. It is very hard to get the crop of athletes out of a smaller population 1, and 2 when you don't have so many kids going to a sports school, it is hard to develop them. Plus I'd bet the percentage of burnt out athletes in the US in there teens and early 20s would surprise people. We have sports schools in the US, I wanted to go to one for ski racing, but they still don't allow for the time they put in China.