PDA

View Full Version : chicks with sticks??

ZEN
10-04-2003, 08:07 PM
I have just recently started to get my feet wet.....basically i'm seriously curious. my training is pretty inconsistent at this point, but when i do find myself "working out" (as i so naively put it, right......) its usually with boxing stance (guard, footwork, etc) and STICKS, my personal favorite. would you suggest any other methods of training that would suit my current "schedule"?

keep in mind, weak hands, weak structure......weak

FOR NOW

***me***

Serpent
10-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Do you have any kind of teacher or instruction available or are you just training yourself?

ZEN
10-06-2003, 04:21 PM
well, kind of. i know its odd to say that i have "somewhat" of a teacher. its an odd siutation, however. i dont actually have a teacher, persay, but i do have someone who teaches me. someone who is fluent in "kung fu" if you will. but that is basically the only exposure i have.

***me***

Serpent
10-06-2003, 04:32 PM
OK, that's a kind of cryptic reply! ;)

Based on your previous post, I would suggest that you work the basics, work on your strength and fitness through bodyweight exercises (pushups, pullups, situps, etc) and running, cycling, swimming, etc.

Then find yourself a regular teacher. It's amazing the basic mistakes and potentially harmful training techniques that a person can develop alone! Especially with sticks.

If you give us more of an idea of what you want and where you are, we can probably suggest some schools. You might have more luck on the main board though.

ZEN
10-06-2003, 05:55 PM
muchas gracias senor :)

advice taken.....

***me***

Serpent
10-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Muy bien. Paella. Dos cerveza por favor.

(I don't speak Spanish!)

:eek:

:cool:

Kristoffer
10-07-2003, 02:39 AM
el gato c'esta que mando

go with Kali

No_Know
10-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Reno martial art schools and other locations (http://www.usadojo.com/schoolsnevada.htm)

Weak? Walk up And down staris on your hands and feet on the stairs/ground.

Really likes sticks? Come-up with stuff on your own Think of how you might get attacked or at least all the ways you can see using them. Practice the more fun ways.

Improve your hands (grip) wet a sweater or shirtor underwear... in water in a tub or basin. make the clothing thick ebough to grab and wring-out. grab and wring until the garment is dry (at least not dripping. Repeat if you have the time and will. Do this every day if you can for at least a month. Rest-up from that exercise for a few days if need be.~ your hands can now better hold sticks.

Get used to sticks by hitting them against each other see how they feel when hit. Experiment with grip. The thightest grip can torque your wrist; a looser grip maintains the stick.-by Ernie Moore Jr. :-)

This saves you money. It can be done with relatively little time spent~. And prepares you for random situations And learning from a teacher (formal or otherwise).

ZEN
10-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
el gato c'esta que mando

go with Kali

THE CAT IS BURNING?!? your a sick and twisted man....

what do you think kali has to offer? I mean, i totally agree with you, kali has so far been the most enjoyable experience. but i'm just trying to get other people's POV

***me***

p.s thanks No_Know....it seems to me i should have put a little more effort into checking some of these places out.

i'll take the advice. my hands thank you...

SevenStar
10-11-2003, 06:01 PM
check out grip trainers from ironmind. Also, check out this thread:

http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19123&highlight=grip

it's not a long thread, but there are some additional ideas there.

Kristoffer
10-12-2003, 11:55 AM
THE CAT IS BURNING?!? your a sick and twisted man....

:p This was the first spanish I learned. Don't ask..

On the Kali thing, as you wrote before you prefer training with sticks. I think you should go with what you like best and if you know you'll enjoy it you will learn faster and more proper. Kali is a excellent system, find a school and a good instructor and have fun. In the end it doesn't matter what style, it's how much effort YOU put in to you training. (and to put so much time in training you need to enjoy what your doing.)

rant over.

Shaolin-Do
10-12-2003, 10:19 PM
You will also find your self training more often and enjoying it more if you find a style that you really like.
::cool: